Wiki Posts
Search

Safari Options from Cape Town?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2013, 1:34 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by CFFrost

Instead, we'll do the garden route (which I'm sure will have some pretty spectacular flowers and other botanicals along the way), spend two nights in either Knysna or George (Knysna preferred), then spend our last two nights at Kwandwe and hope to catch four game drives in that time. I'll likely book those two nights this week. This way, there are no "additional" flights - and just a leisurely drive along the garden route, which is an attraction unto itself.

Is West Coast NP / Paternoster possible as a day trip? We have ten nights in Cape Town proper (not including the garden route / port elizabeth / Kwandwe) so we may have time to do it as a day trip if we don't have anything else planned that day. Those wild flowers really do look phenomenal.

Thanks to everyone for all your advice. It really is incredible how this community can help improve a trip with advice from those that have been there before.

Definitely Knysna and not George for a 2 day stop. George has nothing to offer. Knysna is good. September is quiet time, should be no problem to find good accommodation! Between Cape Town and George, the drive is OK, but not spectacular. The pretty bit is from George onwards, Sedgefield, Knysna, Plettenberg Bay etc. towards PE.

Paternoster is about and hour and a half from Cape Town. If you combine it with the West Coast nature reserve (which is sort of South of Langebaan, about 45 minutes from Cape Town), its quite doable for a day trip. The flowers can be fantastic in September but they can also be disappointing. Depends on the quantity and timing of the winter rains. It has to be a sunny day. And they 'look into the sun', so they are best viewed with the sun behind you, remember that when driving!

And one final bit of advice (if it has not been given already): do Table Mountain at the first available opportunity. You'd be surprised how often the Cable Way does not run because of high winds and other weather related problems!
Old Dec 2, 2013, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thijsseh
Definitely Knysna and not George for a 2 day stop. George has nothing to offer. Knysna is good. September is quiet time, should be no problem to find good accommodation! Between Cape Town and George, the drive is OK, but not spectacular. The pretty bit is from George onwards, Sedgefield, Knysna, Plettenberg Bay etc. towards PE.

Paternoster is about and hour and a half from Cape Town. If you combine it with the West Coast nature reserve (which is sort of South of Langebaan, about 45 minutes from Cape Town), its quite doable for a day trip. The flowers can be fantastic in September but they can also be disappointing. Depends on the quantity and timing of the winter rains. It has to be a sunny day. And they 'look into the sun', so they are best viewed with the sun behind you, remember that when driving!

And one final bit of advice (if it has not been given already): do Table Mountain at the first available opportunity. You'd be surprised how often the Cable Way does not run because of high winds and other weather related problems!
Yea, the only reason George is being considered is that the Hyatt is there. We would be staying at the Conrad in Knysna - and I am deciding if it makes sense to jump through a few hoops to secure the points for the Conrad or go with the Hyatt in George, for which I already have enough points.

Paternoster will likely be an option we'll keep in mind if we have a down day that we want to fill.

Table mountain is certainly on the top of our list (my fiance is really excited about that . . . ) so I'm sure we'll be doing it as soon as the opportunity arises.

Thanks again for your insight.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 11:29 am

We stayed at the Lalibela Game Reserve which is about 90km from Port Elizabeth for the weekend. It was truly amazing check this one out we got to see the big 5. They were the soft sided tents but out of this world in luxury. Everything included with lots of extras.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: RIP
Yea, the only reason George is being considered is that the Hyatt is there. We would be staying at the Conrad in Knysna - and I am deciding if it makes sense to jump through a few hoops to secure the points for the Conrad or go with the Hyatt in George, for which I already have enough points.

Paternoster will likely be an option we'll keep in mind if we have a down day that we want to fill.

Table mountain is certainly on the top of our list (my fiance is really excited about that . . . ) so I'm sure we'll be doing it as soon as the opportunity arises.

Thanks again for your insight.
Anyone stayed at Hyatt and used it as a base for the area? 4 days to much? Or would the place mostly just be a resort, and 4 days being too much for exploring type travel?
Old Dec 6, 2013, 3:54 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by skaya
Anyone stayed at Hyatt and used it as a base for the area? 4 days to much? Or would the place mostly just be a resort, and 4 days being too much for exploring type travel?
Although I have not been near George for a while, my view is that it in itself has little to offer. And it's right at the Southern end of the Garden route. So also not ideal as a base. Why there is a Hyatt there beats me, but I would welcome views from others.
Knysna a is really nice. If you come all the way to South Africa, don't stare yourself blind on hotel points, if there is a good and not too expensive place that you have to pay for, do it, is my advice!
Old Dec 6, 2013, 8:05 am
Suspended

Programs: RIP
Although I have not been near George for a while, my view is that it in itself has little to offer. And it's right at the Southern end of the Garden route. So also not ideal as a base. Why there is a Hyatt there beats me, but I would welcome views from others.
Knysna a is really nice. If you come all the way to South Africa, don't stare yourself blind on hotel points, if there is a good and not too expensive place that you have to pay for, do it, is my advice!
Good advice, but 4 nights of a 5 week trip (although only 8 nights at western cape) may be doable

Especially being Hyatt diamond@:-)
Old Dec 8, 2013, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
IIRC, some animals (perhaps predators, like lion) are chipped or tagged or something so that for whatever purpose (liability, health of animal, whatever - again I'm in IIRC territory here) so that they could be generally located if the need arose. But, I've never seen such a device on an animal nor have I seen a ranger and his/her tracker using that technology to "find" an animal for a guest or even intimating that that's how they "know" an animal is in a certain area.
A chip can be implanted, and the game drive vehicles can be informed by radio. No need to equip the rangers/vehicles with tracking devices. I'm not saying or even suggesting that Kwandwe is doing this, I wouldn't know. Their head ranger has recently moved back to his old stomping grounds. Next time I see him I shall ask.

Thanks for the thorough report. Very helpful. Good to have insight into the "authenticity" of this type of property. It sounds like I may not even notice the difference.
The average casual visitor is most unlikely to notice any difference.

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Or fly to Nambia and visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etosha (better than Kruger).
Out of idle curiosity: why?

Johan
Old Dec 8, 2013, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To me, the relevant question here is: "how do you define a 'genuine safari'?"
Although Cape Town is very much in Africa, it is certainly not 'genuine safari' country in my view. Its too far South and 'game' in the safari sense of the word, does not occur naturally. Ostriches, baboons, smaller buck, yes, plenty. But nothing anywhere near 'big five' stuff. And no large herds of buck either. That's what I would call safari.
So most Capetonians will, if they want to do some genuine game spotting, go to Kruger or the many parks in that area. Anywhere in the Western Cape (and maybe the Eastern Cape as well, but probably not as clearly), is 'reserve' stuff. Not that this is not nice etc, but 'safari' it ain't! (and before someone tells me: I know that Kruger is technically a game reserve too..).

Having said all of this: a game drive in a good reserve with a good ranger is an absolutely fantastic experience! And you'll see a lot more / better than on a self-drive through Kruger, especially if you are inexperienced in spotting..
I second every word. Several of the charismatic and quintessentially African species that tourist expect to see do not occur naturally in the Cape, and never did. Private reserves have introduced them anyway, so they have become safari parks.

Good luck finding a good ranger nowadays, by the way.

Johan
Old Dec 13, 2013, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Figured I would update this thread - Thanks everyone for the advice.

I ended up booking two nights at Kwandwe Ecca Lodge and will book 2 nights at the Conrad Pezula in Knysna for the drive out. Before that we're spending 10 nights at the Hilton Cape Town, and six nights in London on the way down (but that's a different conversation). It's really going to be the trip of a lifetime, and I appreciate everyone's insight along the way.

The one thing I can share for other people interested in Kwandwe is that it appears Kwandwe used DCC when they charged my card for the 25% deposit, despite warnings on their website that all bookings are charged in ZAR. That ended up costing me about 1-1.5%. Not really a big deal, and not worth bringing to their attention really - but for those of you that care, you might want to reach out to them in advance to make sure they don't do the same for you. I might mention it when they bill the balance, as it will make more of a difference there than it would on the deposit.

If anyone has any additional info to pass along - It certainly is helpful. This community has been a tremendous asset. Thanks!
Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Hey everyone -

My stay at Kwandwe is coming up now and I have a quick question.

A contact at the reserve just reached out to me to collect the remaining balance (~75%).

They want me to send a copy of my passport as well as a copy of both sides of the credit card, along with the signed, completed authorization.

I know I have seen this sort of practice discussed in other threads - but am I wrong to think this is unnecessary? I know they are concerned about fraud but there has to be a better way.

I don't really feel like I have any choice in the matter - just curious how others would proceed.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

just curious how others would proceed.
It is something I would adamantly refuse. Once burned, twice shy, in my case.

Any lodge operator worth its salt should be able to offer a secure online payment option. I know mom & pop lodges that do it, so there is no reason why the other can't.

Johan
Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johan rebel
It is something I would adamantly refuse. Once burned, twice shy, in my case.

Any lodge operator worth its salt should be able to offer a secure online payment option. I know mom & pop lodges that do it, so there is no reason why the other can't.

Johan
What is strange is that the initial deposit was taken through an online reservation system. I can't say with any degree of certainty how "secure" that was - but to now say they want all of this information filled out and faxed or e-mailed back is very strange to me. They didn't need a copy of my passport or ID for the initial deposit. Why the deviation from their prior practice? Send me a link to a payment system and I'll gladly fill out my credit card information.

I have to think about how to handle this diplomatically - I don't want to sound alarmist or like I'm refusing a fraud prevention tactic - but I have to imagine they understand the concern.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
I would also refuse to provide all of this information via insecure channels. You certainly can ask about the need for a passport copy being sent since that really has nothing to do with securing the payment. You can also ask to pay the balance via the same method as the deposit .. start that way at least and let them tell why it cant be done. Are you using the same form of payment as the deposit? How was the deposit received by the lodge? What kind of receipt did you receive? And upstream you mentioned the DCC issue.. how will that be addressed this time?

As you say any reasonable operator will understand your concerns and if not, I'd be a bit concerned with supplying all of my personal data.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldiswide
I would also refuse to provide all of this information via insecure channels. You certainly can ask about the need for a passport copy being sent since that really has nothing to do with securing the payment. You can also ask to pay the balance via the same method as the deposit .. start that way at least and let them tell why it cant be done. Are you using the same form of payment as the deposit? How was the deposit received by the lodge? What kind of receipt did you receive? And upstream you mentioned the DCC issue.. how will that be addressed this time?

As you say any reasonable operator will understand your concerns and if not, I'd be a bit concerned with supplying all of my personal data.
I replied to them stating that I would happily submit payment to a secure online payment system. That e-mail was sent on Friday so I don't expect to see anything until tomorrow morning.

When I made the booking, I submitted information online through their booking system, including my credit card, but it was not charged immediately - It was actually charged about 4 days later if I remember correctly. That makes me think their online system was not in fact that secure - but frankly I'm not worried about my credit card number floating around somewhere. Passport is another story.

I'm actually not so sure about the DCC issue now - I assumed my card would list the foreign currency amount billed and the converted US amount but now realize it doesn't. It could just be that the rate used by Chase was not very favorable, or that it fluctuated more than I expected.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
I replied to them stating that I would happily submit payment to a secure online payment system. That e-mail was sent on Friday so I don't expect to see anything until tomorrow morning.

When I made the booking, I submitted information online through their booking system, including my credit card, but it was not charged immediately - It was actually charged about 4 days later if I remember correctly. That makes me think their online system was not in fact that secure - but frankly I'm not worried about my credit card number floating around somewhere. Passport is another story.

I'm actually not so sure about the DCC issue now - I assumed my card would list the foreign currency amount billed and the converted US amount but now realize it doesn't. It could just be that the rate used by Chase was not very favorable, or that it fluctuated more than I expected.
Please post their response tomorrow regarding both payment and need for passport details. There are a variety of reasons the transaction wouldn't post for a few days, I don't think that means the site is not secure.

You should definitely be able to see the currency a transaction was billed at and the conversion rate. I have alerts set up on my cards for international transactions and compare the authorized amount to the posted amount which can vary with the exchange rate. I've also had cards when I could not see the currency on the online or moblie site, but the statement showed all the detail so you should look back to your statement to verify what occurred. I would verify this prior to paying the balance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.