FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Safari Options from Cape Town?
View Single Post
Old Dec 8, 2013, 1:54 pm
johan rebel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thijsseh
To me, the relevant question here is: "how do you define a 'genuine safari'?"
Although Cape Town is very much in Africa, it is certainly not 'genuine safari' country in my view. Its too far South and 'game' in the safari sense of the word, does not occur naturally. Ostriches, baboons, smaller buck, yes, plenty. But nothing anywhere near 'big five' stuff. And no large herds of buck either. That's what I would call safari.
So most Capetonians will, if they want to do some genuine game spotting, go to Kruger or the many parks in that area. Anywhere in the Western Cape (and maybe the Eastern Cape as well, but probably not as clearly), is 'reserve' stuff. Not that this is not nice etc, but 'safari' it ain't! (and before someone tells me: I know that Kruger is technically a game reserve too..).

Having said all of this: a game drive in a good reserve with a good ranger is an absolutely fantastic experience! And you'll see a lot more / better than on a self-drive through Kruger, especially if you are inexperienced in spotting..
I second every word. Several of the charismatic and quintessentially African species that tourist expect to see do not occur naturally in the Cape, and never did. Private reserves have introduced them anyway, so they have become safari parks.

Good luck finding a good ranger nowadays, by the way.

Johan