Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

How strict is Aer Lingus carry on policy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2015, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Aer Lingus lists the carry on limits as:

Max weight 10kg (22lb)
Max size 55cm H (21.5") x 40cm W (15.5") x 24cm D (9.5")
Plus one small personal item: Small handbag, laptop, duty free or baby changing bag.
Max size 25cm H (10”) x 33cm W (13”) x20cm D(8”)

My roll about fits the size limit, but it is usually about 30 pounds and not 22 pounds.

My personal item is a back pack about 19 - 20 inches tall. I don't care if they gate check the backpack as long as they don't charge for it. The roll about cannot be checked as it contains items that may be stolen.

Will my carryons get by or is Aer Lingus pretty strict? I'm flying out of Boston to Dublin.

Thanks
Old Apr 4, 2015, 11:30 am

You are more likely to get away with something overweight than with something oversized.

Your personal item is about twice the permitted size. I doubt you'll get away with it, and in the interest of rule-abiding passengers I hope they will charge you.

Sorry, I know that's not what you wanted to hear...

BTW - welcome to FT.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 3:15 pm

Regardless of the answers we give what will YOU do if they enforce the rules? Not fly or dump some luggage?
Old Apr 4, 2015, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA-1K; Marriott Platinum; National Emerald Exec Elite; Avis President's Club (whoopdidoo)
We recently flew LHR-EDI on a Virgin Atlantic flight that was actually an Aer Lingus flight. The flight left from a VS gate with VS GA, but the FA seemed to be a combination of VS and EI, interestingly enough (my guess, could be wrong about that).

My husband and sons had roll-aboards and school-type backpacks (daypacks). No one cared when they boarded the flight - neither the GA nor any of the FA. Not exactly the same situation, but similar.

I had the same concerns and had read the VS hand luggage requirements prior to departure.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by airchick
We recently flew LHR-EDI on a Virgin Atlantic flight that was actually an Aer Lingus flight. The flight left from a VS gate with VS GA, but the FA seemed to be a combination of VS and EI, interestingly enough (my guess, could be wrong about that).
Little Red was / is a VS brand but the flights were operated by EI but following VS rules. CC were EI eomplyees but wearing VS uniforms.

But this is nothing to do with the OPs question which is about an EI international flights.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 2:16 am

Your oversized personal item should be used as your main cabin bag.

Put the valuables from the rollaboard into this and check in the rollaboard.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 2:45 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Moving over to the Aer Lingus forum, to see what the experts over there reckon... Please continue to follow this topic in the Aer Lingus forum.

stut
UK & Ireland
Old Apr 5, 2015, 9:56 am
soy

Programs: various
As others mentioned, just check the rollaboard and bring the valuables on board with you. EI transatlantic economy flights get 1 free checked bag so no cost to you.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 2:45 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Welcome to FT and the Aer Lingus forum slackercruster ^
Old Apr 9, 2015, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Weight is just about never checked.

The backpack you describe is not a personal item, it is a second piece of hand luggage. Not allowed. You have a moderate chance of it being allowed on long-haul if the plane is quiet. No chance whatsoever if you are connecting onto short-haul.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:13 pm

I didn't think i should start a new thread when this is only on page 2...

Does the advice here apply to European flights too? I am flying in to Dublin for a couple of days, coming from Milan. My carry on is well within the size limits, but it might end up being a kg or two over 10kg. How likely are they to check/care?
Old Jul 3, 2015, 12:04 am
KJ5

Programs: Club Carlson Concierge, BA Silver, EI Elite
The weight will not be an issue. What is becoming a problem is the number of bags being carried on in general v checked in. As example on AMS to DUB this week the passenger information list should 162 passengers but only 8 had bags checked in. Before boarding the gate staff started tagging bags to be put in the hold as clearly not enough room in the overhead lockers. This annoyed passengers but then again some take it to the extreme trying to get 2 or even 3 bags on in hand luggage.

I've seen this happen at DUB too. As a "thank you" for checking in bag at gate you can be offered zone A boarding. Personally this is of little incentive.

Perhaps if EI changed policies and prices for baggage it would improve. Either reduce price or enforce the hand baggage policy more strictly.

On a BA flight DUB to LCY last week it was actually cheaper to check a bag in than take carry on and can avail of seat selection etc. There was no hassle at gate and sense of calm while boarding.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 7:56 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Weight is not checked frequently however quite a few of EI's baggage sizers have a digital scale

Most likely to get weight checked where check in is contracted out to the local ground handling agent, I have been checked in Brussels for example (9.8kg...). The personal item was not checked.

EI are normally quite relaxed, provided the carry on is within size limits and the personal item fits under the seat you are fine Normal rule that you must be able to place/remove the bag from the overhead

It helps to have EI (or BA) status, staff definitely give more leeway.

Its not uncommon for check in staff to offer free checked luggage out of LHR on known busy flights and again at the gate in Dublin it is not uncommon for a call to be made offering free checked luggage.

I would agree with comments here that some people are stretching the limits which is causing problems. The one bag + one personal item rule should be enforced, EI's size limits are already more generous than a certain other Irish airline
Old Jul 3, 2015, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by KJ5
On a BA flight DUB to LCY last week it was actually cheaper to check a bag in than take carry on and can avail of seat selection etc. There was no hassle at gate and sense of calm while boarding.
Can you please explain? You mean that a "Handbaggage Only" ticket was being offered for more than a regular fare?
Old Jul 3, 2015, 4:17 pm

Weight was not checked from ORD-DUB. Weight was checked CDG-DUB. Because of the weight check I had to shift stuff to my check in. Weight was not checked from DUB-ORD. I can't believe what the amount of carry on was brought in the last flight mentioned. One lady looked like she brought everything she owned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.