Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Is A3 using OA flight numbers to deny *A benefits?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is A3 using OA flight numbers to deny *A benefits?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2017, 8:01 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Originally Posted by johnirvine
The average price of a return domestic ticket in Greece (and Thailand) simply cannot support lounge costs of €20 each way.
Originally Posted by Xandrios
These are not returning pax that can be made loyal to the brand by offering lounge access. So why would you expect Aegean to offer lounge access (at 20 euro per visit!) to these pax, while the fare often is much less than that? Airport fees (especially in ATH) are incredibly high and offering lounge access to one-time visitors would simply be a loss making business.
I was under the impression that the member's carrier reimbursed the lounge operator for each lounge visit... It doesn't really make sense that A3 would pay, say UA, for a UA *G to use the A3 lounge.

Originally Posted by N1120A
The arguments are interesting, but people seem to be missing something here - A3 is the one operating these flights. A3 owns OA, they own the aircraft, employ the crews and sell the tickets. It is simply not the same thing as Eurowings or some of the other examples.

The really stupid thing in all this is that one can't use the lounge connecting on the way in, but they can use it heading back out. MSC allows for people to avoid bag fees, if that is properly handled, but that is about it.

OA exists only on paper, and to operate Q400s on PSOs. The idea of OA as a mainline carrier is simply laughable.
^

In any case, regardless of the reasons for doing this, I wonder if it might actually drive business away from A3/OA. Personally, if I were a member of a non-A3 *A program and found out post-travel that I didn't get *A benefits, I'd find a way to connect elsewhere to my Greek destination rather than use A3/OA, just like I'd avoid Eurowings/Thai Smile/Scoot (and I just realized, SilkAir too). If I'm not going to get any benefits, I might as well fly with someone else and get miles/points - whether that's with OW, ST, or some other partner of whatever other airline program I'm a member of.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by N1120A

The LH lounge isn't really as good as the A3 lounge, but it is usually more empty.
^^^
Old Jun 25, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, TK*G E+, ALL/Accor Plat
Originally Posted by DELLAS
^^^
Is the above a form of Greek irony (or sarcasm) that I do not understand. The A3 lounge at ATH is a total disaster and rates no more than 2 out of 10. The LH lounge is not perfect but is far better and, in my opinion, rates 6 out of 10.

I went into both lounges on Friday at 9.00 am. In the LH lounge, I had a fantastic breakfast with freshly pressed juices and a wide selection of food. By contrast, the A3 lounge was a disgrace with every table uncleared and all the narrow selection of food exhausted. This is a typical situation and Aegean should be embarrassed.

My belief is that the operating carrier in *A pays for lounge access and A3 loses money when their flyers systematically use the LH lounge (as many do).
Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:04 am

Is the above a form of Greek irony (or sarcasm) that I do not understand. The A3 lounge at ATH is a total disaster and rates no more than 2 out of 10. The LH lounge is not perfect but is far better and, in my opinion, rates 6 out of 10.
Nope. Total disaster? Dont be such a drama queen
Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G

I went into both lounges on Friday at 9.00 am. In the LH lounge, I had a fantastic breakfast with freshly pressed juices and a wide selection of food. By contrast, the A3 lounge was a disgrace with every table uncleared and all the narrow selection of food exhausted. This is a typical situation and Aegean should be embarrassed.

My belief is that the operating carrier in *A pays for lounge access and A3 loses money when their flyers systematically use the LH lounge (as many do).
This has been my experience too. Unless I have to (flying OA), I never use the A3 lounge any more.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by Tennen
I was under the impression that the member's carrier reimbursed the lounge operator for each lounge visit... It doesn't really make sense that A3 would pay, say UA, for a UA *G to use the A3 lounge.

^

In any case, regardless of the reasons for doing this, I wonder if it might actually drive business away from A3/OA. Personally, if I were a member of a non-A3 *A program and found out post-travel that I didn't get *A benefits, I'd find a way to connect elsewhere to my Greek destination rather than use A3/OA, just like I'd avoid Eurowings/Thai Smile/Scoot (and I just realized, SilkAir too). If I'm not going to get any benefits, I might as well fly with someone else and get miles/points - whether that's with OW, ST, or some other partner of whatever other airline program I'm a member of.
Indeed, A3 is losing money by not having *A partner elites use the lounge on the OA ghost flights.

I completely disagree. The A3 lounge is fine and the LH lounge is fairly small and dark.

As for the payment, it is settled based on the carrier bequeathing the status. When I go to the A3 lounge, UA pays A3. When my wife goes, AC pays.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by Tennen
\In any case, regardless of the reasons for doing this, I wonder if it might actually drive business away from A3/OA. Personally, if I were a member of a non-A3 *A program and found out post-travel that I didn't get *A benefits, I'd find a way to connect elsewhere to my Greek destination rather than use A3/OA
I’m a case of that. As a UA *G, I’m taking a two week vacation to see my family in SKG, and, in the middle of the vacation, we are going to HER. Upon seeing that I can no longer insert my MileagePlus to get points and use elite benefits & lounge, I decided to book with Astra (first time), which was 20% less cost wise.

Really stupid, as the flight is booked on Aegean as OA operated by A3.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 3:46 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
I've booked VIE-ATH-RHO with the domestic flight coded A3 (Aegean Airlines operated by Olympic Air). Will I be able to use the Lufthansa Lounge with that ticket?
Old Jul 1, 2017, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by headingwest
I've booked VIE-ATH-RHO with the domestic flight coded A3 (Aegean Airlines operated by Olympic Air). Will I be able to use the Lufthansa Lounge with that ticket?
No. It it were possible, nobody would have complained...
Old Jul 1, 2017, 6:07 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KLouis
No. It it were possible, nobody would have complained...
But wasn't the discussion here about OA coded flights (but operated by Aegean) not being eligible?

It's not a big problem, I just wanted clarification. Thanks.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by headingwest
But wasn't the discussion here about OA coded flights (but operated by Aegean) not being eligible?

It's not a big problem, I just wanted clarification. Thanks.
These are "code shares", OA flights with an OA code, code-shared by A3. Thus, since the planes are non *A (being wet-leases, they count as bona fide OA, thus not *A) you get no *A benefits. If the reason for this is saving costs, as many here believe, sending people to the LH lounge rather than their own one, would just increase cost for A3. They can't be that stupid and not have found out after more than a year of doing this.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 3:41 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
..either that, or the operating carrier does pay for lounge access after all. Which would actually make sense on so many levels..
Old Jul 11, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Forgive me if this question has already been answered, but the A3/OA situation is a bit confusing with regards to *Gold recognition.

1. I have a flight from ATH-JTR booked on a GoLight fare. OA flight number, but operated by A3. I think I understand that we will not receive *G benefits (Checked luggage, lounge, etc).

2. I have a return flight from JTR-ATH-LHR. JTR-ATH is A3 flight number operated by OA. ATH-LHR is A3 flight number operated by A3. Will we receive *G benefits on these flights? Will I need to pay to check luggage through to LHR?

Thanks!
Old Jul 11, 2017, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by dchang1
Forgive me if this question has already been answered, but the A3/OA situation is a bit confusing with regards to *Gold recognition.

1. I have a flight from ATH-JTR booked on a GoLight fare. OA flight number, but operated by A3. I think I understand that we will not receive *G benefits (Checked luggage, lounge, etc).

2. I have a return flight from JTR-ATH-LHR. JTR-ATH is A3 flight number operated by OA. ATH-LHR is A3 flight number operated by A3. Will we receive *G benefits on these flights? Will I need to pay to check luggage through to LHR?

Thanks!
1. As you say
2. a. JTR-ATH no, ATH-LHR yes
b.yes
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:06 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I would expect luggage to be free on the return; especially since you have A3 flight numbers. What does your ticket/booking say?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.