Wiki Posts
Search

LH earning

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:01 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by KLouis
Please, let's not start that discussion again...
Indeed - that would be way, way off-topic for this thread. There are other threads both in this forum and others on mileage runs for all the airline alliances. They should be used for those that know of a good deal, which is what FT is about.

NWIFlyer
A3 Miles&Bonus
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by ben434
Regarding Premium Economy if it's relatively new, maybe Aegean just need some time to update their tables...
This is also something I am very interested in. I am looking at fares in PE MUC-XXX-AKL and connecting in HKG between LH and NZ offers a nice price so far. But LH books in "N", which used to be a deeply discounted economy, so A3 does not pay any miles there.

Is there any way to let A3 know that this "issue" is there?
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Re PE had major issue with A3 crediting AC PE last year.

As for Eva PE, it isn't exactly a new product for them (seeing as I think they were the first airline to introduce PE).
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:46 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by malmostoso
This is also something I am very interested in. I am looking at fares in PE MUC-XXX-AKL and connecting in HKG between LH and NZ offers a nice price so far. But LH books in "N", which used to be a deeply discounted economy, so A3 does not pay any miles there.

Is there any way to let A3 know that this "issue" is there?
The phrases "Lufthansa", "nice price" and "mileage earning" are very often mutually exclusive - just look at the non-earning P fares in Business. LH has non-mileage earning fare classes in both Economy and Business. Why would PE be any different? I'd be very wary of booking that in the hope that there's some sort of catch-up required in A3's earning table - it might well be it's not going to change.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Why would PE be any different? I'd be very wary of booking that in the hope that there's some sort of catch-up required in A3's earning table - it might well be it's not going to change.
Oh I agree with you, it would be stupid to book it thinking that the earning might change before flying (which would be in December, so plenty of time to look at alternatives).

And I also understand that if K, L, T (deep discounted economy) and P (deep discounted Business) earn nothing, N would probably have the same fate.

However, it would be nice to know for a fact, instead of just speculating

EDIT: Speaking of "P" fares, SQ sells PE seats in "P" which A3 rewards at 150%, since this is seen as a First class ticket. Now that's more like it

Last edited by malmostoso; Mar 9, 2015 at 10:54 am
Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
The phrases "Lufthansa", "nice price" and "mileage earning" are very often mutually exclusive - just look at the non-earning P fares in Business. LH has non-mileage earning fare classes in both Economy and Business. Why would PE be any different? I'd be very wary of booking that in the hope that there's some sort of catch-up required in A3's earning table - it might well be it's not going to change.
But in the case of PE, none of their PE fare classes are able to earn miles with A3, not just their discounted PE, even their fully flex PE. It seems A3's earning tables need to catch up basically.

I am debating whether to go to TK by getting TK to match my A3 gold status, but I understand with TK you lose miles after three years. But I guess that is a discussion for another topic / board.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 2:02 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by theworld
But in the case of PE, none of their PE fare classes are able to earn miles with A3, not just their discounted PE, even their fully flex PE. It seems A3's earning tables need to catch up basically.
I don't doubt that's the case - the problem is, LH has a strong record of introducing cheaper, non-earning fare buckets in each cabin (more than one in Y). There's a strong chance PE will be the same, so until the chart is updated no-one is going to know at what pay-point earning kicks in.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 4:17 pm

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, TK*G E+, ALL/Accor Plat
Originally Posted by tancredi
Could you please elaborate on that? How do you collect 12,000 miles (including 4 A3 flights) with €600?
Maybe I exaggerated a little, but only a little. Go Lite flights from Larnaca to Thessalonika are, for example, available for €29 (paying with Aegean Visa). These yield 700 x 0.75 = 525 miles. 23 flights costing €667 yield 12075 status miles - enough to requalify. Given the current 50% mileage bonus from Cyprus, double miles on A3 Visa and 20% A3*G bonus, you also get 21,861 award miles for your €667.

A3 is unique among *A FFP programs in allowing gold requalification for so little. The point I was making is that many airline agents, especially Lufthansa ones, know this and behave accordingly.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 11:56 pm
Community Director

There are extreme examples in any FFP - for example, the right mileage run in a BA sale from, say, DUB nets enough miles and BA sectors to qualify for what's a far, far more valuable Gold status for something like £1000 (€1400). I don't believe all BA Golds get treated any worse as a result, so the fact remains that the majority of people have to spend reasonably significant amounts of money to reach A3*G.

To speculate on why LH may or may not treat some FFP's less favourably than others is heading towards a potentially political argument which is OMNI territory and does not belong here, but suffice it to say that I don't believe A3 Gold members are discriminated against for flying pattern reasons.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

On a slightly related note, can't seem to access the LH earning chart on the A3 website since yesterday:

https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon.../all-airlines/

Can access the other airlines and I don't think its a browser issue as I've tried with both FF and IE.

Also I note that SQ earning has not updated since 2010!
Old Mar 11, 2015, 8:58 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, Air Canada Aeroplan
Seems like A3 doesn't have a consistent policy with respect to Premium Economy miles - A3 does not award miles for LH or LOT premium economy (N or O classes), but does give 100% miles to AC and TK PE. I wrote to A3 about it.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 12:09 am
Community Director

Also I note that SQ earning has not updated since 2010!
No, it hasn't changed since 2010 - it may do shortly as a result of SQ's introduction of PE on a few routes, but prior to that there was no reason for an update.

SQ didn't changed its offering or fare buckets that earn for years. That isn't the case for LH, with many changes to discount fares in Y and C, plus now the introduction of PE.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Mar 12, 2015 at 6:17 pm
Old Mar 12, 2015, 4:36 pm

Programs: A3
On a slightly related note, can't seem to access the LH earning chart on the A3 website since yesterday
I noticed the same thing and had hoped that the LH earning chart was being updated. It's back now and appears unchanged, so no joy.

I took AC PE to Athens last summer and found the product better than LH in coach. Not only that, we got 150% MCO-YYZ and 100% YYZ-ATH. Until I can get at least 100% credit for PE on LH, I am switching to AC Rouge for most trips to Greece.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 12:53 am

Programs: Does it matter any more?
Has anyone had any success since march 2015 in earning miles on a Premium Economy booking on LH. LH seems to book this into an "N" class which they advertise as earning 100% miles. But Aegean's earning chart shows 'N" earns zero.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by legionnaire
Has anyone had any success since march 2015 in earning miles on a Premium Economy booking on LH. LH seems to book this into an "N" class which they advertise as earning 100% miles. But Aegean's earning chart shows 'N" earns zero.
If A3 says zero for "N" fares with LH, then probably no chance, until this is updated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.