Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gnopps
*** MOD NOTE: Please do not remove ***

A friendly reminder that Flyertalk is not a marketplace, and nothing may be offered (or solicited) for sale or barter within the general forums - which includes offering vouchers for free. For those with sufficient posts and length of membership, trading/exchange is allowed solely within Coupon Connection, and then only in accordance with the specific rules of that forum.

Please do not attempt to solicit, sell or trade upgrade vouchers within this forum. Posts will be deleted and the members concerned potentially subject to disciplinary action. **Please note that this includes directly using the PM system to do so without first posting in Coupon Connection**. Thanks for your co-operation.
A3 provides all Gold members with four vouchers for upgrade from Economy to Business. Silver members get two upgrade vouchers.

Criteria
  • You must be travelling on A3 or OA metal - codeshares are not included.
  • The original ticket must be issued on either A3 (390) or OA (050) ticket stock.
  • Only revenue (paid) tickets, in fare classes other than U, P & T on a GoLight fare basis, can be upgraded, but not redemption tickets.
  • All flights on the ticket must be on A3 or OA metal.
  • There must be award availability in I-class for the upgrades to clear. You can check this by logging in to M&B then going to https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...t/spend-miles/ The results page will initially be a calendar. To see Business availability, you have to click through to the next step. (You can also use a free or paid tool such as ANA website, UA website (looking for saver award space), Aeroplan, AwardNexus or ExpertFlyer to check for availability.)
  • One coupon per person per journey leg is required - so, for example, TXL-ATH-SKG and return via the same route would require four coupons per person.
  • Anyone can be upgraded using the coupons - you do not have to be travelling on the same booking or even the same plane.

Procedure
  • Call A3 to request the upgrade. The phone numbers are listed at https://aegeanairlines.custhelp.com/ (most of them should go to the same call centre in Greece).
  • If successful, a new ticket will be issued (with a new number). The PNR will remain unchanged.
  • You are liable for any extra taxes applicable to Business Class (e.g. APD from the UK). Sometimes this gets charged, sometimes it doesn't - if it's due and you're not charged because the agent forgets, you've just been lucky.
  • If there's no immediate I-class availability, you can ask to be waitlisted for upgrade. The ability to waitlist was reported to have been removed in August 2016, but was again possible in September. Check with the agent - option available on May 2018.
    • in case you requested to be waitlisted for upgrade and want to check if the customer care agent made the changes on your booking you can check the reservation on checkmytrip.com (click here), the leg you requested the upgrade will be shown here as ”Waitlisted”.
  • If you wish to upgrade one segment of a multi-segment trip (e.g. XXX-ATH-YYY) and there is availability on the leg you wish to upgrade, you may still have to be waitlisted due to married segment issues. The process of clearing the waitlist is somewhat confusing and may result in frustration due to the availability seeming to disappear but in reality, this may mean that the segments have been "unmarried" and the availability has been allocated to your reservation. See post 2272 and the update in post 2294 for more details.

Benefits
  • No matter what the fare basis of the original ticket, you receive full Business Class benefits after upgrade.
  • This includes lounge access (useful if you're upgrading someone other than yourself who has no status, or if you've run out of Silver lounge vouchers) and full baggage allowance (it applies for first leg as well, in case you are upgraded only on the 2nd leg of your trip - confirmed on the etix).
  • Because the ticket books as a redemption, the free car hire is not included.

Mileage/segment earning
  • You will earn at the underlying rate of your purchased ticket in economy, not at a business class rate. Because status miles are awarded, this also counts as a segment for re-qualification purposes.
  • The flights may credit automatically, but may take longer to credit than tickets that have not been changed. They may also credit as 0 miles, and later change to the correct rate. If the flights have not credited properly after a few weeks then calling A3 will rectify this rapidly.

Expiry
  • The vouchers expire at the end of your membership year - they do not carry over, even if status is retained. A new set is issued every year.
  • It is the date when you use the voucher that matters. It can upgrade a flight that takes place after expiry as long as you apply the voucher before.
  • On upgrade from Silver to Gold, any remaining Silver upgrade coupons expire, but they are replaced by four Gold ones which expire at the end of the Gold membership year.

BEWARE
  • Once you have upgraded your seat, your ticket will be reissued. Suddenly, this ticket may be VERY expensive to change. If, for instance, you later decide to travel on a different date, you will probably be required to rebook into Business, even if Economy was available for new bookings. A3 will charge you the difference from your original Economy fare to a NEW Business fare. Plus fees, taxes and whatnot. Update 18/08/2021: this appears to no longer be the case, as an upgraded ticket was changed and the underlying Economy fare was used for the upgraded segments. The coupon was "removed" from the old dates and "reapplied" to the new dates.
  • Coupons will not be returned/reinstated. Once a coupon is applied, it is gone for good (the T&Cs printed on the coupons allow for date and time changes, but not route changes).
  • If you want to provide your coupons to upgrade a friend's travel, it is advisable to call in yourself. Your friend can call in if they know your name, birthdate, M&B-number and the email address associated with your account. That means: Anyone who knows these particulars can use your coupons without your knowledge. They do NOT need the coupon numbers.
  • Crediting upgraded segments to another program will likely fail, as it will be reported as I-class. It may be possible to retro-claim the miles.
Print Wikipost

Seat upgrade coupons

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:30 am

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
Originally Posted by :D!
Running out of time to use my coupons for this year, so did some ITA searches for the cheapest mainland Europe-ATH-LHR.

I found a fare for GBP10 (plus taxes) which included a 20-hour stopover in ATH so we can finally go to see the city after transiting the airport so many times.

Used the above info to make sure there was availability. It's not in the wiki so I shall add it.

Then called, got a male agent for the first time ever, took 2 mins as well and email confirmation arrived in 5 mins.

So A3 gets £2.50 for a J flight, and I won't really be stimulating the Greek economy either since I am using points for the hotel, plus the relevant FT thread indicates I will be upgraded to a room with club lounge so all meals will be "free" Oh well, since it's only 2 segments each, we will give A3 some more money later on.
A true FTer ^

Old Sep 21, 2016, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by :D!
...cheapest mainland Europe-ATH-LHR...I found a fare for GBP10 (plus taxes)...
I hope they won't find out in one of their routine checks that this was a wrong price, and they'll cancel your ticket.

...and I won't really be stimulating the Greek economy...
I guess you can say that the Greek economy will be stimulating you!
Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:35 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by KLouis
I hope they won't find out in one of their routine checks that this was a wrong price, and they'll cancel your ticket.
It's unlikely to be a wrong price, several posters on this forum have booked such tickets and they are on sale for many dates in the next few months. As an example:

http://i.imgur.com/ToYcGPM.png
http://i.imgur.com/dLNkRxS.png

Here A3 gets an average of €7.50 per segment and the rest has to be paid to others.

Actually for my ticket I forgot to include the "fuel surcharge", so A3 will be keeping £6 per segment rather than £2.50..

I guess you can say that the Greek economy will be stimulating you!
hehe.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:34 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold
Does anyone knows how much extra i have to pay in taxes for upgrading a flight with coupon from LHR to ATH?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 6:05 am

Programs: A3*G/KFEG
Originally Posted by winkny
Does anyone knows how much extra i have to pay in taxes for upgrading a flight with coupon from LHR to ATH?
I paid 18 euros last year.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 4:11 am
KRS

Will I have to wait for my year end to get the new vouchers, even though I have re-qualified?
Old Sep 24, 2016, 4:51 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
The vouchers will be released once per year, at the end of your current membership year.

Which is good, as some people first re-qualify before being able to take any upgraded Aegean flights. If the vouchers would be re-set at qualification their 4 vouchers for that year would be lost. (Assuming that older vouchers are void when new ones are released)
Old Sep 24, 2016, 5:41 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by winkny
The extra tax is GBP13 which is currently 15 euros.

But you coukd be asked for a bit more, or less, depending on what the exchange rate was at the time you booked. If there were taxes and fees in different currencies, then the amount in the currency you paid will be reconverted into the currency of the charges at the current exchange rate.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:50 pm

Programs: A3*G
I would like to ask if I can use my upgrade coupons today. I am travelling on February. Is it too early to call Aegean phone center?
Thank you!
Old Sep 29, 2016, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by zaraskos
I would like to ask if I can use my upgrade coupons today. I am travelling on February. Is it too early to call Aegean phone center?
Thank you!
You can call them right now. You will probably get your new ticket instantly. But keep in mind that you can not use the coupon again, if you do not fly on that day, e.g. if you change the flight to another date.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by Arrivals
You can call them right now. You will probably get your new ticket instantly. But keep in mind that you can not use the coupon again, if you do not fly on that day, e.g. if you change the flight to another date.
thank you!
Old Sep 30, 2016, 6:17 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Folks, several messages relating to requests for/offers of upgrade vouchers have recently been deleted.

A friendly reminder that Flyertalk is not a marketplace, and nothing may be offered for sale or barter (or solicited) within the general forums - which includes offering vouchers for free. For those with sufficient posts and length of membership, trading/exchange is allowed solely within Coupon Connection, and then only in accordance with the specific rules of that forum.

Herein endeth the lesson.

Thank you for your co-operation.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M+B
Old Oct 1, 2016, 10:08 pm

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Exclamation No more upgrades for cheap booking classes

I just found this in their app:

f) seat upgrade award is not eligible for the following booking classes: U, P, T. (Effective as of 01.10.2016)

Sadly only after I booked already 3 trips in U and T in anticipation of the new vouchers coming in post Nov 24
Well, I guess they did some calcs and it was too good to be true...
Old Oct 2, 2016, 12:50 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Carpacchio
I just found this in their app:

f) seat upgrade award is not eligible for the following booking classes: U, P, T. (Effective as of 01.10.2016)

Sadly only after I booked already 3 trips in U and T in anticipation of the new vouchers coming in post Nov 24
Well, I guess they did some calcs and it was too good to be true...
Yes, this is now listed under https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...-program/gold/ (and the equivalent Silver page).

Bad news, and even worse form from A3 sneaking it in unannounced and apparently with zero notice.

In some cases, it may well now be cheaper to simply buy J anyway, rendering the coupons completely useless.

Wiki updated.

Old Oct 2, 2016, 12:58 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Wow, that is very bad news indeed and changes my plans quite considerably.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.