Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Did Fidel Castro select the FT colour scheme?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2000, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

Did Fidel Castro select the FlyerTalk colour scheme?

I do not know what others think but the colours used on this UBB are pretty darn drab.

They may well have been selected using input that highly regarded merchant of good taste, Senor Fidel Castro, as the khaki olive and forage green now selected, seem to match his fashion outfits pretty much exactly when you think on it.

These UBB Bulletin Boards have an pretty well endless range of colors available to be utilised for background colors to posts. It costs ZIPPO to amend them I understand if the owner chooses to.

These boards have just passed the 250,000 post milestone, as Randy advised us here earlier this week.

Might that milestone be a fine time then for Michael@webflyer or whomever is in charge of such detail, to tweak the colour background button for the next 250,000? Depends largely on what the users think however, and here is the Forum to discuss it. In a weekend of posts it will be clear whether there is a feeling for a change of color, or whether everyone likes things just as they are. Randy calls the shots, and may take no notice whatever of the results of this poll, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

For an example, there is a superb airline board that many here often visit:

http://www.planebusiness.com/ubb/For...ML/000370.html

As you can see it uses a pretty much identical UBB to this. So it is very easy for all here to navigate. The post colours they have selected are in an easy on the eye pale blue and light grey. Seems very easy to read to me anyway, as they are light, friendly, happy colours. Military jungle greens are not. Please spend a few minutes perusing that board, (the thread I selected will amuse ALL on this board anyway!) and then click right back here to get an instant comparison, and you may agree. Or you may not! Every time I do that, I really notice the drabness of the colours used here. I personally would love to see these boards in a similar livery.

Comments please! (briefly if possible) for or against - let's have a weekend "straw poll" on this. I'll tally it up and pass on to Randy's people when thread is done.

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Nov 3, 2000, 6:23 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

FWIW see:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/001854.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/001861.html
Old Nov 3, 2000, 6:54 pm
MolsonMiler

DOC - you are amazing. The post was only up for 8 minutes and you saw it, and have posted two different year old links to it! This one seems to bear out exactly the "YUK" comment OZSTAMPS is making: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/001854.html

Old Nov 3, 2000, 7:03 pm
MolsonMiler

There appears to have been another irate thread reaction a year back to these current "Mustard Pretzel" colors:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum97/HTML/000073.html

CatMan then said:

Blue is the color of the skies we fly ... then why don't we try ... BLUE?
I'm with CatMan on this. Subtle blue shades. PLEASE.

Old Nov 3, 2000, 7:13 pm

Actually, I feel this Color Scheme is very appropriate, but only for one single forum on this board -- Southwest Airlines.

I miss the good ol' days.
Old Nov 3, 2000, 7:18 pm

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
Even airlines get new liveries!
Old Nov 3, 2000, 7:33 pm
Original Member

FWIW, I'm against any changes to the color scheme.
Old Nov 3, 2000, 7:40 pm

I have to agree with ozstamps. The colours on the planebusiness website are cheerier and, even with the little time I spent there, seem to be a little easier on the eyes. Maybe a change is in order.
Old Nov 3, 2000, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Been out grocery shopping for the last couple hours since posting this, and seems there are some feelings about this topic appearing already!

Reading the links posted rapidly above by DOC, it seems that Randy was sunning himself on a beach in HI for the PiP when this dastardly deed was done, exactly one year back. I dont blame him for coming back all tanned and relaxed and not giving a *** about the new colour scheme. I was not aware of these old threads, but they echo my present feelings.

The comments at the time were overwhelmingly negative about the Fidel look..

I for amusement have transcribed a few of those year old comments below. (Any bolding was from original posts, except for pkfloyd, and I assume that one was meant in humour!) Any duplication of poster means they posted duplicate times. Wonder if these posters STILL hold these views???! We might know before this thread is done!:

What is this color called PUCE? (Honu)
The new color is Ugly. (Shutzee)
I HATE the new color scheme. (M.Weiss)
It does tend to remind me of diaper days. (Letiole)
One word. BLECH. (Matt Wald)
Randy .... are you there? Paging Randy ..... (Dorian)
Thumbs down for me. I want blue back! (Dilbert)
Guess these colors gotta go.(Premex)
This is garish. (Rocky)
Very familiar color to parents of newborns. (Jon Toner)
Kinda Ugly. (DG1)
Reminds me of grandbabies and diapers. (onefreeman)
Close to the color of YUK. (Punki)
Sorry folks, it looks like the hairball Yaz coughs up. (Catman)
Yes, they are kinda ugly. (DG1)
Color -- Yuck!! Liked the blue much better. (Wonderer)
Mine shows up as "pea soup green". (Geo1004)
I hate the new color. (Adman)
I don't like the colors themselves (Premex)
This kills my eyes. (Essxjay)
HATE the new color - - sorry ... (Doug)
Agree with Doug. (wannago)
To be totally honest. IT'S UGLY!!!!! (Mike Mahoney)
Put me down as a "Do not like." (ChrisM)
Bring back the blue colours. (several posters said this)
It makes the text harder to read. (UserMark)
Color makes me feel sick. (Dorian)
Well my two cents worth .. I don't like it .. it's UGLY. (Gekko)
NO What was wrong with the old ones? (Mauld)
And I still don't like the new colors. (Geo1004)
Personally I think the color is gross. (Bluebonnet)
Black text + brown background = hard to read. (D.Hacker)
I like the older colors. (PG)
Back on the farm, we called this "calf scour yellow". (Hammertoad)
Excuse me, I think I'm going to be ill ... (Geo1004)
New color - YUCH!!!! (Larrude)
I like it. Stands out nicely, but then I am color blind. (pkfloyd7)
Blue is the color of the skies we fly .. then why don't we try.. BLUE? (Catman)
Randy is too busy firing the person who thought up this colour scheme! (Dorian)

To be fair there were a few comments on the 3 threads from a year back that did not mind the new scheme, but they were outvoted about ten to one by those posters above.
Old Nov 3, 2000, 9:00 pm

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
What we need are the BLUE skies, TURQOISE oceans, WHITE clouds, some GREEN trees, and an occasional COLOR of flowers to liven things up!

Old Nov 3, 2000, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Exp
Originally posted by ROADRUNNER:
What we need are the BLUE skies, TURQOISE oceans, WHITE clouds, some GREEN trees, and an occasional COLOR of flowers to liven things up!
But then it might look like that "other" plane-related UBB site out there...
Old Nov 3, 2000, 11:21 pm

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
SO WHAT, if you save your eyesight!
Old Nov 4, 2000, 12:33 am

elektrik. I doubt planebusiness.com has the worldwide copyright on the use of pale blue and pale grey etc!

Cruising the planebusiness.com site for 10 mins (never seen that before - great) and then clicking back onto FlyerTalk is like a nasty JOLT. These colors look "dirty" or "murky" and really seem to make me squint to read them, especially the darker boxes. The other site is "cool" and "soothing" - on my old eyes anyway.

I agree with most everyone else. RANDY - can one of your staff do a tune up and ditch this horrid color scheme that nearly everyone here seemed to hate a year back when you altered it. Why ever was it changed in the first place?

[This message has been edited by geordie6 (edited 11-04-2000).]
Old Nov 4, 2000, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Was just reading the very latest on the SQ 747 disaster on the airline pilots UBB (SQ brass admits full libility and pilots will be charged with manslaughter):

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/For...ML/010790.html

Again a similar board to this (altho they allow colour photos to be pasted in responses!) and THEY TOO use a pastel grey and blue combo. Those colours are so easy on the eye. Hope others agree. Coming back to these dreary colours is like Coach versus First to my eyes!

Old Nov 5, 2000, 2:19 pm

These really are ugly colours. Can't you do better Randy on these?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.