Airlines can charge obese pax for 2 seats

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2000, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Airlines can charge obese pax for 2 seats

http://foxnews.com/national/121400/portly_passenger.sml
Old Dec 18, 2000, 12:30 am
In memoriam

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/001410.html where it belongs.
Old Dec 18, 2000, 1:48 am

Location: Memphis, TN USA UA 1K, NW Platinum, AA Gold, Starwood Platinum, HHonors Gold
I wonder if anorexic flyers will get to pay 50% off or so...

Old Dec 18, 2000, 1:51 am

FR:

Wouldn't you need another anorexic friend to fly with you?

-stargold-
Old Dec 18, 2000, 12:32 pm

Programs: United 1P
So, are airlines charging per person or per seat ?? If it is per seat, then let's see how many of us we can cram into a seat !!

If the issue is inconveniencing the person next to you, then will the poor parent with the crying, squirming, vomiting baby have to buy an empty seat on either side, too ??
Old Dec 18, 2000, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
I think we had a court case of the exact same nature here in Canada where the ruling went the other way. It was very recent, but I don't know any details.

FewMiles..

------------------
Unofficial Guide to AAdvantage: http://home.webflyer.com/fewmiles/AA/
Old Dec 18, 2000, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally posted by Wombat18:
So, are airlines charging per person or per seat ?? If it is per seat, then let's see how many of us we can cram into a seat !!

If the issue is inconveniencing the person next to you, then will the poor parent with the crying, squirming, vomiting baby have to buy an empty seat on either side, too ??
One can only hope...

(ducks behind desk to avoid not my baby wraith)

Old Dec 18, 2000, 3:37 pm

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
deleted

Last edited by tmorse6570; Sep 13, 2007 at 5:52 am
Old Dec 18, 2000, 5:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Loyal to Myself
And people who have caused themselves to be judgemental and unkind should realize that it also comes with a price, namely having to live in your own skin.
Old Dec 18, 2000, 6:25 pm

Location: MCI. AA Plat, UA PrmEx., Mrrtt Gold, Hz Pres.Circle, HHonors Gold
Aside from tmorse's utterly tasteless comment, I tend to agree with the ruling. If I have seat 12B and the passenger in seat 12A is occupying 1 1/2 seats, then I'm sort of in a pickle. If it's a half-empty flight - no big deal - I just go sit somewhere else. But if it's a full flight, then somebody has to get off the plane, resulting in lost revenue for the airline (and possibly an unhappy customer).

I know it sounds sort of mean, but can anyone think of a better solution?

If the law forced the airline to give the seat away for free, then we'd have chaos (I'm fairly tall, and could easily take up two seats if I had to!).
Old Dec 18, 2000, 7:23 pm

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
You might think that Tmorse learned a lesson here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/001393.html

But if you thought that, you'd be wrong.

Old Dec 18, 2000, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
This is one of those complex situations where there is no simple answer - the answer depends on your perspective. It is a classic type problem law students struggle with all the time - e.g., if you have an apple tree with a branch that hangs over your neighbor's lawn and an apple falls onto your neighbor's property, who owns the apple?

Are you selling a seat or passage to an individual? Wombat18 posed the dilemma perfectly. The answer, and the basis of the complexity, in my opinion, is that it is both. On aircraft with F and Y or F, C, and Y you are clearly selling a particular type of seat in addition to passage.

But airlines make exceptions to the one person/one seat/one fare all the time. What about the case where you can buy a seat for an infant at half-price (1 seat/1 person/half price). Or discounts for children or for seniors. Or as has already been pointed out above, carry a baby on your lap (2 persons/1 seat/1 fare).

What is "fair" and "reasonable" is not an easy answer. If an individual is too large to fit in a coach seat, perhaps a compromise would be to give them a 50% discount on the second seat.
Old Dec 18, 2000, 8:50 pm

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
I don't completely agree with you Jerry, but your post is most diplomatic and I appreciate the fact that you make a strong case without being offensive. I would imagine that many other FT'ers here would second that.

-levi
Old Dec 18, 2000, 8:57 pm
mjm
Original Member

I see this kind of discussion and I think immediately...Marketing Opportunity.

Just think, how many points would you score with a group of passengers who probably (I am guessing) feel at times frustrated, biased against, embarrassed, etc. unjustly because of their size. Through excessive eating, genes, or whatever reason, they (i.e. all people who may need a bit more space than that provided by the airlines in a standard seat) need to be treated with the same consideration as any other passenger.

If an airline can prioritize to whom it offers an alterante seat on the same or different flight they can win some very good favor with both the larger person and the person seated next to them. I think a fair prioitization system would be who boarded first. It seems fair that if you board earlier you have the first shot at overhead bins so why not use the same process to figure out to whom you will offer an alternative.

If I were offered a seat on another flight that did not hurt my schedule, possibly accompanied by a minimal voucher or a bottle of wine, I would jump at it. If the larger person (I hope that is the right term) were the one offered the alternative due to being the later one to board, they would probably feel good about being offered a choice. If either party declines the offer, well, they have been dealt with to the best ability of the airline.

The airline is in a win-win situation. They have made an attempt which will in all likelihood be well regarded by both parties and will almost certainly guarantee themselves a repeat customer. Offering a standardized product to human beings makes for many possible scenarios. This is but one, but certainly one which could be used efficiently by the airline to become known as creative and positive in dealing with seating situations. United does a fair job internationally on the routes I frequent and there are far fewer alterante flights on these routes than on many domestic ones in North America.

Problem,...Potentially. Marketing potential...absolutely. Easy,...heck no!

Just a ramble based on an experience I had last week that was resolved very smoothly by a UA crew from SIN/NRT.

Mike
Old Dec 18, 2000, 9:18 pm

Programs: OWEm (lifetime OWSapph x2), lifetime *G
JAL charges a sumo wrestler one adult + one child fare...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.