Search

Bumping opportunities?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2001, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Bumping opportunities?

How can I access the capacity status for flights I am taking this month as a
mileage run? I have a 2.5hr t/around in FLL and if bumping opportunities
present themselves, I'm not sure what to do. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/000567.html
Anyone know if there's a one visit NW/CO/? club pass offer around?
Thanks
RDY
Old May 9, 2001, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Can anyone help?
Thanks
RDY
Old May 9, 2001, 10:42 pm

Set up an account at www.flyaow.com and set yourself up an "expert" profile. When you check flights you'll get the number (it only shows a max of 7) of seats available in each fare class. When you start seeing the zeroes across most fare classes, you're closing in on oversold situations. Good luck.
Old May 9, 2001, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Thank you BravoZulu, I appreciate your reply.
Thanks for a great board.
RDY
odat
Old May 10, 2001, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally posted by BravoZulu:
Set up an account at www.flyaow.com and set yourself up an "expert" profile. When you check flights you'll get the number (it only shows a max of 7) of seats available in each fare class. When you start seeing the zeroes across most fare classes, you're closing in on oversold situations. Good luck.
I did as suggested, it seems to show up to 9 seats?
RDY

Old May 10, 2001, 2:08 pm

Programs: BD / BA / AF
It depends on the airline -- some show 7 in each booking class as maximum, some show 9 in each booking class as maximum.

If it's showing 9 seats, you're unlikely to get bumped. Prepare to travel as scheduled, and hope for an extra seat next to you!
Old May 11, 2001, 11:13 am

Very helpful! Another question -- how do you find out what each of the fare codes mean (in terms of class of service, booking/change restrictions, etc.)? -- a couple of the UA flights I was checking had 14 different codes. Thanks.

Old May 11, 2001, 3:34 pm

Another good idea is to get a good source working for that particular airline who could tell you exactly how the booking situation looks like. Like with how many seats a flight is overbooked and etc.
Old May 11, 2001, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
You can always call the airline, tell them you have a "space available" pass and wanted to know what the load looks like on flight X. Often they will tell you if the flight is overbooked and by how many or how many "real" seats are left.

If the agent doesn't want to tell you, hang up and call again.
Old May 11, 2001, 7:30 pm

Back again. You're right on the availability; the max is 9.

Regarding fare classes, at least for DL, there was a great posting by "dataton" that has been bookmarked by many:
www.dataton.net/DeltaFareClasses.html

I'd be interested if there is as good an explanation for other airlines' codes as well.

Old May 11, 2001, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Originally posted by BravoZulu:
Regarding fare classes, at least for DL, there was a great posting by "dataton" that has been bookmarked by many:
www.dataton.net/DeltaFareClasses.html

I'd be interested if there is as good an explanation for other airlines' codes as well.
There is a good collection of Fare Class information at the Unofficial AAdvantage Web Site, http://fewmiles.tripod.com/AA/fares.html#1

------------------
Middle Seat
Old May 12, 2001, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
While 9 across the board is indicative of a light load in most cases this is not always true as things can change quickly and some flights do oversell by significantly more than 9 seats. A peek at a seat chart is also a good idea although again not fool proof. I think I have heard oversells by 15-20 and still everyone getting on due to no-shows.

Old May 12, 2001, 6:10 pm

BravoZulu: I used www.flyaow.com when I purchased a ticket from BWI to LAX last month. After booking, the availability area showed V0 W0 S0 T0 K6 and now today it shows V5 W0 S5 T3 K8! What happened here? I thought I was booking on a pretty full flight. Could there have been that many cancellations?

[This message has been edited by Bear (edited 06-04-2001).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.