Wiki Posts
Search

H fares refundable

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2001, 3:13 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

H fares refundable

I was on Aircanada.ca pricing out a trip to South America and had something weird come up. It certainly is a strange system compared to most of the others

YYZ-GRU or EZE: priced at an H fare, refundable CAD $1800 or so

ORD-YYZ-GRU the transborder priced at a Q fare, the overseas at an H, around CAD $2000, NONREFUNDABLE

ORD-YYZ-EZE--apparently not available

any idea how to get this to work?
does AC publish an ATL-YYZ-South America fare?

jl
Old Jul 19, 2001, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
If you blend different fare types in construction, then the whole ticket will fall into the most restrictive rule.

So the H fare YYZ-EZE is refundable (subject to a cancellation penalty). But when you tack on a Q fare from ORD to YYZ, the non-refundability of that segment kicks in, and covers the whole ticket.

Try doing a fare search on Expedia or Travelocity, then select the fare and book in that fashion.
Old Jul 19, 2001, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UAL Premex
Jamiel....

AC only flies YYZ-GRU-EZE. This was an old CP route. They do not have any other flights to SA at this time on AC metal.

I leave tomorrow on UA via YYC-DEN-MIA-GIG for $1,400 CDN as AC has slowly raised their cheap seats on the YYZ-GRU route from $1,200 CDN about 18 months ago to over $ 1,800 CDN now !!! And to top it all off.....there are fewer available seats at this price.

Corporate loyalty is one thing.....a 50% fare increase is another.
Old Jul 20, 2001, 6:40 am
Original Member
Original Poster

I understand that the mixed fare situation reverts to the -more- restrictive, but just am surprised that the longer flight doesn't "force" the fare basis to it--unless there truly isn't a fare published and it's pricing point-to-point...

jl
Old Jul 20, 2001, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
No there's a fare published. But the computer automatically searches for the cheapest fare calculation. If that can be done by breaking the fare at an intermediate point, it will do so.

This is very often the case with US originating fares. The point-to-point will be quoted in US dollars, but by blending the fares, the US-Canada fare will be in US, but the Canada-third country will be in CAD.
Old Jul 21, 2001, 11:18 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

jamiel:

AC has a published fare of $1854 in H class for ORD-EZE connecting in YYZ and a $1900 fare in B class for ORD-GRU.

I think you should call AC and see what they can work out for you. If you are relying on AC's website to book a trip more than a simple point-to-point, then you are just wasting your time.
Old Jul 22, 2001, 4:24 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

I know that you all complained about the site, but didn't know how lame it was. Thks.

jl

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.