Wiki Posts
Search

New Star Alliance Lounges

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2001, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
New Star Alliance Lounges

Rather than having each airline creating a lounge, the Star Alliance group is beginning to build a mega lounge at major hubs. The first one is slated to be opened in Europe over the next few weeks.

The mega lounge concept is in response to cost cutting measures and designing a product with a common Star Alliance feel.

What do you guys think of this?
Old Jul 22, 2001, 9:21 am

Hey Scott218 - more free market research data for Air Canada?
Old Jul 22, 2001, 10:40 am

Makes sense, as long as they are designed in a way that you can get access to a work stations or a bit of peace and quiet.

Qantas have a mega lounge in Sydney, its normally overfull and has kids running around.

I like the idea they have a LHR which is a normal lounge, and then a smaller intermit lounge for business folk who want the "gentlemens club feel"

Old Jul 22, 2001, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: British Airways Gold (oneWorld Emerald), Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum
I do not think it is a good idea. Odds are that the Star Alliance lounges will not have the quality of the best lounges of some of the alliance members.

I would hate seing lounges turn into the low quality Red Carpet Club realm.
Old Jul 22, 2001, 12:19 pm

I think the challenge here will be consistancy. Travellers have come to expect a certain level of amenities and catering, so any such commodeous lounge would have to truely integrate the best features of current member lounges. I can guarantee you a Star Alliance lounge at LHR would bring us substantial improvement over the current MLL.
Old Jul 22, 2001, 12:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Is this lounge in Zurich?

Where will be other (joint airlines) Star Alliance lounges, in the future?

Wiil these joint airline lounges also apply to arrivals lounges?

Old Jul 22, 2001, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Zurich is the first such lounge since there is no "home" STAR member with a lounge there, but several carriers flying to/from. It makes sense in such circumstances. I would hope LAX Bradley Terminal is in line for one very soon. Even though the MHD is toast, it did demonstrate a weak link at a key terminal. MX has none and the SQ, LH and Thai lounges are either shared, or closed most of the day. Varig also has a lounge, which is actually the designated STAR lounge, but it too has limited hours. I used it once on a MHD, found it very nice, but unfortunately unavailable on three other occasions. Air New Zealnd and AC are using separate lounges at T2, and of course UA has several RCCs at its terminal.

I believe LHR is the next major lounge for STAR, though not sure if it is intended for T2 and flights to/from Europe rather than in T3 where most of the intercontinental members operate from.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.