Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Wyndham | Wyndham Rewards
Reload this Page >

Don't forget to consider Wyndham's foreign hotels for award redemption

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2024, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Nobody much thinks of Wyndham's hotels overseas, but if you're earning points on their credit cards, there are some very good redemptions scattered around the world. I was surprised today to see that they have a decent hotel in Singapore, the "Penisula Excelsior," that is only 15,000 points (13,500 for Diamond Members). Not the best hotel in town, but it's a 4-star property with an excellent location. A steal compared to any other hotel award redemption in Singapore that I know of.

I've also had luck with Wyndham award redemptions in Europe and South America. It's a bit of a hassle to check all the hotel brand boxes, but I use this tool to find them.

https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/wyndham/locations
Old Feb 18, 2024, 4:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
I am using mine for a four night stay at the Ramada at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport. I am hoping that it is nicer than the Ramada's here in the US!!!
Old Feb 18, 2024, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zdcatc12
I am using mine for a four night stay at the Ramada at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport. I am hoping that it is nicer than the Ramada's here in the US!!!
From my experience, the US names mean nothing overseas. You just have to look at the pictures and read the reviews. As an example, I was just in New Zealand and stayed at about a half dozen Wyndham brands. None of the properties resembled their US counterparts in any way, shape or form. Instead, they all seemed like the same NZ brand, completely different from their US brand counterparts (generally nicer, unless you were expecting free breakfast).
zdcatc12 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by zdcatc12
I stayed four nights at this hotel last November. Was a good hotel, rooms were nice and big by European standards. No free upgrade with diamond status available at that time. Breakfast buffet was good but not 20 euro good. I didn't try the dinner buffet. Did not try the pool or other amenities. Also it's kind of crappy that they provide a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel, but you gotta pay like 5 euro to go take the shuttle from the hotel to the airport. Since I was there multiple days they sold a 3 day shuttle pass for 10 euro, I just went with that.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pezzie
I stayed four nights at this hotel last November. Was a good hotel, rooms were nice and big by European standards. No free upgrade with diamond status available at that time. Breakfast buffet was good but not 20 euro good. I didn't try the dinner buffet. Did not try the pool or other amenities. Also it's kind of crappy that they provide a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel, but you gotta pay like 5 euro to go take the shuttle from the hotel to the airport. Since I was there multiple days they sold a 3 day shuttle pass for 10 euro, I just went with that.
Interesting that the Ramada brand in the Netherlands doesn't provide free breakfast. Obviously, Wyndham is entirely inconsistent on this. You have to look at the website and, sometimes, contact the hotel directly. I was in Budapest last year and there was a choice between a Ramada and a partner brand called H2. The properties looked comparable, but it seemed like the H2 provided free breakfast and the Ramada didn't. I emailed them to confirm. We wound up getting an almost-restaurant quality free breakfast buffet at the H2.

In Santiago Chile, I stayed at the airport La Quinta and got a free breakfast better than the US properties (and Chilean breakfasts are usually pretty bad). In New Zealand, though, no free breakfast at a La Quinta.

Interestingly, I find Holiday Inn Express more consistent. While the concepts are a bit different in each country, I always get a free buffet breakfast from them. Wyndham doesn't seem to care as much about brand standardization. They're happy to just slap the name on the hotel.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 2:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pezzie
Thanks for the info. That answered some questions that I hadn't even thought of yet!!!
Old Mar 1, 2024, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
I was surprised today to see that they have a decent hotel in Singapore, the "Peninsula Excelsior," that is only 15,000 points (13,500 for Diamond Members). Not the best hotel in town, but it's a 4-star property with an excellent location. A steal compared to any other hotel award redemption in Singapore that I know of.
Thanks for letting us know. I have plans to stay at this property when I am in town in August. For the dates I looked, it's retailing > US$200/night, really good deal at just 13,500 points/night.

You know if they provide complimentary breakfast for "Diamonds"? Anyone knows? Thanks in advance!

alextktan
Old Mar 25, 2024, 12:45 am

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Best deal I got 10 years ago, was "Day's Inn Hyde Park," which was worth $400 a night.
Now that Dollar is strong/Pound is weak, it is just over $200.
Great location, so-so property, but nice bars & dining, not far from direct airport train service..
Old Mar 25, 2024, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alextktan
Thanks for letting us know. I have plans to stay at this property when I am in town in August. For the dates I looked, it's retailing > US$200/night, really good deal at just 13,500 points/night.

You know if they provide complimentary breakfast for "Diamonds"? Anyone knows? Thanks in advance!

alextktan
I don't know, but (sadly) providing Diamonds with breakfast isn't a thing at any Wyndhams, as far as I know. The only times I've gotten breakfast included at Wyndham Rewards afilliated properties is when all guests get breakfast, like at the H2 chain in Europe. This is why I try to check the reviews before booking. Like in Budapest, the Ramada does NOT provide all guests with free breakfast (which is surprising to Americans), but the H2 does.

Originally Posted by gkbiiii
Best deal I got 10 years ago, was "Day's Inn Hyde Park," which was worth $400 a night.
Now that Dollar is strong/Pound is weak, it is just over $200.
Great location, so-so property, but nice bars & dining, not far from direct airport train service..
Interestingly, that deal is still going on! 13,500 points with an Earner card gets you into this central London Days Inn. At least today. I've never stayed there, but I have a well-travelled family member who recently has, who says the same generally positive things about the hotel. I am headed to London this summer and booked the property for a few days. I usually stay at fancier London hotels, but the points deals at those properties have dried up over the years (most recently with Hyatt significantly raising their award rates) and I care more about location than "fancy" with my city hotels. I've already made my reservation because this property is popular (you won't always find award availability), and I am afraid this could be one of the few Wyndham properties that doubles in price tomorrow with the new award chart. Based on their room rates, it could easily be a 30K hotel (which would make it much less desirable).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.