Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Wyndham | Wyndham Rewards
Reload this Page >

Wyndham Vacation Rentals not Bookable with Points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SW, AA, AS, UA

Just had a series of frustrating conversations with multiple CSRs while trying to book a one bedroom Wyndham Vacation Rental Property in Colorado with Wyndham Reward points for 15k/night. After being transferred multiple times, I was finally told by a CSR that Wyndham Vacation Rentals was recently acquired by Vacasa, and that this past weekend Vacasa completely took away their ability to make award bookings, including supervisor's ability. I was told to make award bookings through the Wyndham Rewards website or the Wyndham Vacation Club website, neither of which show any Wydham Vacation Rental (different than Wyndham Vacation Club) units available. Has anyone else had this experience? If so, this development represents a massive devaluation in this program for me.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:54 pm
ski

Told vacation rentals sold to Vacasa

Similar experience earlier today. Called 1-866-370-0727 listed online to use points to book vacation rental property with plenty of availability showing when clicking explore properties. Call center in Florida said as of a week and a half ago they were told they can no longer book the properties and they are supposed to transfer or give number back to Wyndham rewards. Transferred there. Was told to call Extra Holidays at 866-370-8548. Guy said he only booked vacation clubs and was transferring me to person who could book vacation rental properties with points. He transferred me to 844-603-8981 which is Resort Quest by Wyndham and lady said they were bought by Vacasa and can no longer do the bookings, but they did not do the city wanted to book in anyway as they did Resort Quest properties. Called the 866-370-0727 to start all over again with number listed online for vacation rentals. Call center in Florida again, lady spoke to supervisor who said to call 866-370-8548 or 866-996-7937 ( rewards for members). Called end number. Lady spoke to supervisor who gave me a 1800 number with 3 options - first 2 were for Wyndham club owners, so chose 3rd for the travel agency. Lady there called another dept to help and did 3 way conference call which turned out to be back to Florida call center. Lady at call center said vacation rentals and the club were bought by Vacasa and could only do hotel reservations with points right now. Extra Holidays guy had said he could book club properties, but not what was looking for. Gave up for the day. (Misplaced the 1800 number but have it somewhere.). Found this online -
Who owns Vacasa?
On October 2, 2018, Vacasa acquired Oasis Collections, which was previously ownedin part by Hyatt Hotels Corp. In 2019, Vacasa acquired Wyndham Vacation Rentals from Wyndham Destinations for $162 million

Last edited by ski; Jan 7, 2020 at 10:19 pm Reason: more info
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:49 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Can't say I'm surprised. I can say that I'm glad I didn't jump in to buy Wyndham points even under its current sale price.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the confirmation. My experience was very similar to yours, multiple transfers with nobody really being able to help. Please update if you are able to get through to someone who is able to book the Wyndham Vacation Rental properties with points. I'll do the same. It's difficult to keep it all straight after 4 or 5 transfers, but I'll ask for the number each time I'm transferred so that I can share it here if I'm successful.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:53 am
Original Poster

I bit on the points sale with this redemption in mind, which is what makes this all so frustrating. It feels very much like a bait and switch.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:03 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by djbaker77
I bit on the points sale with this redemption in mind, which is what makes this all so frustrating. It feels very much like a bait and switch.
I would feel like that too.

I'm sort of lucky I didn't bite on the current Wyndham points sale like you did. After seeing how poor a value the points were going to be for me except for the vacation rentals, I backed off buying WR points because Wyndham lost my trust years ago and I wouldn't want to sit on purchased points from them for more than a few days (if even that).
Old Apr 22, 2020, 1:13 pm

Any update on this? I just tried to book a Wyndham Vacation Rental using the info on the Wyndham Rewards website, but like OP I was told that this was no longer possible. I have asked agents at Wyndham Rewards and at the Wyndham Diamond email and they have given me no useful information. Is there still a way to book Wyndham Vacation Rentals? It seems like if this has been happening since January that they would've at least updated the Wyndham website with the new information?
Old Apr 25, 2020, 9:07 am

Programs: Wyndham
Very Very Very concerned about this.
Old May 6, 2020, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by MelloChatt
Any update on this? I just tried to book a Wyndham Vacation Rental using the info on the Wyndham Rewards website, but like OP I was told that this was no longer possible. I have asked agents at Wyndham Rewards and at the Wyndham Diamond email and they have given me no useful information. Is there still a way to book Wyndham Vacation Rentals? It seems like if this has been happening since January that they would've at least updated the Wyndham website with the new information?
I was able to communicate with someone at Wyndham Rewards who seemed informed about this matter. They said that Wyndham still had an agreement with Vacasa, and still expected the ability to make reservations to resume later this year, but that Covid-19 had delayed the process. They also said that they were going to update the Wyndham website to reflect this.
Personally I'm not holding my breath - it looks like this was a problem that dated back well before Covid-19 disruptions. And in corporate-speak I interpret "later this year" to mean that there is no known date.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MelloChatt
I was able to communicate with someone at Wyndham Rewards who seemed informed about this matter. They said that Wyndham still had an agreement with Vacasa, and still expected the ability to make reservations to resume later this year, but that Covid-19 had delayed the process. They also said that they were going to update the Wyndham website to reflect this.
Personally I'm not holding my breath - it looks like this was a problem that dated back well before Covid-19 disruptions. And in corporate-speak I interpret "later this year" to mean that there is no known date.
I just tried again and got a similar story from the CSR I spoke with. She said to try back again the first week of November. I'm not holding my breath.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 6:10 pm

As a DP, I just tried to book myself and got the revolving door of transfers and other phone numbers, that led nowhere... Sad to see this benefit be lost, we took advantage of it in the past for some great redemptions!
Old Oct 10, 2020, 7:55 am

I got some killer redemptions on ski condos in Colorado. If this doesn't come back I will be super pissed.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 6:19 am

I wrote to Wyndham to inquire about the situation with booking vacation rentals. They said that it is still possible to do so. Seems like they had a period of time this year with the transition to Vacasa where they were unprepared but I'd love to hear from anyone who has successfully booked these properties in the post Vacasa era.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by FastMJ
I wrote to Wyndham to inquire about the situation with booking vacation rentals. They said that it is still possible to do so. Seems like they had a period of time this year with the transition to Vacasa where they were unprepared but I'd love to hear from anyone who has successfully booked these properties in the post Vacasa era.
Did they provide you with a contact/number/name/anything?
I'd gladly be the sacrifice and try to book something if they sent you any details!
Old Oct 15, 2020, 8:57 pm

I just booked a condo in Newport Ri over Xmas for 15k a night
synergistic likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.