Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wyndham to buy La Quinta

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2018, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by Brendan
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300657122.html

La Quinta's loyalty program, La Quinta Returns®, which includes approximately 15 million enrolled members, will be combined in the coming months with the award-winning Wyndham Rewards® program, which includes over 56 million enrolled members.
One of the things I'll miss is guaranteed availability as an Elite Member. I just used it for an upcoming trip to Bowling Green for 1 day. Sure, you usually pay a fairly high Rack Rate, but most of the time that rate meets or beats comparable hotels in town. Plus, you can bring your dogs! I'm assuming the pet friendly nature of La Quinta's hotels is something that Wyndham will want to preserve.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:38 am

https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/wyndha...oints-transfer
https://www.lq.com/en/wyndham-points-transfer

It looks like you can transfer points in either direction right now at a 1:1 ratio (in increments of 1,000).
Brendan likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
In the Chicago area, many of the LQ are ex-Baymont, you can tell by the distinctive windows.

For me this conversion is unfortunate, because Wyndham doesn't allow elite qualifying on stays, just nights. So I'll do enough stays to cash in a free night, then probably switch to hotels.com to earn 9% at LQs and redeem anywhere.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Oh-so-thank-U, Dadofsix! I just transferred 1000 of my 1500 LQ points to Wyndham! BTW, what is this obsession with even thousands only in so many programs? Why won't they let us transfer "everything" or exact odd numbers to clean out our accounts?
UPDATE: After transferring, I decided to check out the possibility of buying LQ points. I found that they sell 'em in increments of 500 @ $6, so I bought 500, then transferred the whole 2nd 1000 !

Last edited by Brendan; Jun 4, 2018 at 4:06 pm
Old Jun 4, 2018, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Brendan
Oh-so-thank-U, Dadofsix! I just transferred 1000 of my 1500 LQ points to Wyndham! BTW, what is this obsession with even thousands only in so many programs? Why won't they let us transfer "everything" or exact odd numbers to clean out our accounts?
UPDATE: After transferring, I decided to check out the possibility of buying LQ points. I found that they sell 'em in increments of 500 @ $6, so I bought 500, then transferred the whole 2nd 1000 !
No problem. Did the LQ points purchase get posted into your account immediately? And I have the same question for the points transfer. Thanks.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: La Quinta Elite IHGSPIRE HH Diamond BW Diamond Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by travelexpert
Are there any WOW aspirational La Quinta properties?

Maybe one with ocean front accommodations.
Irvine, California. The LQ is literally built into an old grain silo. For railroad buffs, the tracks run right next your room. BNSF and Amtrak all day and night. Also easy access to I-5 and I-405.
Brendan likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
While the properties themselves are pretty average limited service offerings, cash rate at the LQs in Moab and Springdale/Zion NP in Utah can run $250+ per night all-in. And are currently 18k redemptions in the LQ program (the nicer chain options near US national parks in general can often be decent burn options during peak tourism season)
Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:02 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Cool

Yes, Dadofsix, everything posted immediately!
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:42 pm

I have a lot of Wyndham points i have not had the chance to use. They expire 4 years from date earned. Anyone know if you can transfer them to LQ, then transfer them back to Wyndham to "reset the clock?"

Edit: I tested and it works.

Last edited by exarkun; Jun 9, 2018 at 9:57 am
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by beachmouse
While the properties themselves are pretty average limited service offerings, cash rate at the LQs in Moab and Springdale/Zion NP in Utah can run $250+ per night all-in. And are currently 18k redemptions in the LQ program (the nicer chain options near US national parks in general can often be decent burn options during peak tourism season)
Is this the only place where one can currently find the LQ point requirements for free night redemptions?
https://www.lq.com/en/returns/free-nights

Before LQ revamped their website recently, I'm pretty sure this information used to be displayed on each property's home page. If this page above is the only search method now, it seems awfully cumbersome and less customer friendly.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
It was one of many ways the LQ page became less user-friendly after the redesign
Old Jun 11, 2018, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachmouse
It was one of many ways the LQ page became less user-friendly after the redesign
OTOH, since the redesign, the LQ page is a normal speed for me. It was by orders of magnitude the slowest hotel program website I've ever used before that.

And on top of that slowness, it wouldn't wait for you to change several things and hit "Search Again" in a search before redoing the search, it would re-start the search as soon as you changed just one thing, and you had to wait for that to redraw before you change something else.

So given that, I actually prefer the new website, even though for some things it's not as good, because for the things I do most often (search different dates and different rates), it's better.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:08 am
formerly Will Stonehocker

in order for wyndham to have bought la quinta, they had to dump knights inn.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Will Stonehocker
in order for wyndham to have bought la quinta, they had to dump knights inn.
If that's the case, Wyndham came out ahead on that deal!
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:14 pm
formerly Will Stonehocker

Originally Posted by midgrade
If that's the case, Wyndham came out ahead on that deal!
yea they did. [moderator edit] my dad knows. [moderator edit] he'll assure you his experience staying at one was crap and us innocent travellers don't need to stay at one. it's akin to all the young students at my school looking up to an older and more mature autistic guy like me for advice.

Last edited by l etoile; Aug 21, 2018 at 8:11 am Reason: privacy/language

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.