Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Non-liquid/non-gel toiletries and makeup products

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-liquid/non-gel toiletries and makeup products

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2006, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
A messy bag

is better than a tidy one. The TSA men tend to get a glazed look in their eyes when they see a messy, jammed hand bag. Thanks to whoever posted about the sample products in the "O" magazine. Nice samples, just happened to add a couple from my stash.

Too many rules cause people to become ..... sneaky.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 11:57 am
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Has anyone tried getting through with a small tin of 100% Shea Butter (L'Occitane)? It's normally a solid that needs to be melted in your hands before use and can be substituted for just about any moisturizing product.
I was wondering about that, too. If all else fails, you can put some in a ziploc bag. I refill the small tins from my big one, so putting it in a little baggie would be the same.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 12:02 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Calcifer
I got a cosmetics catalog in the mail today and it appears that Clinique also has a new powder foundation, although they suggest you only apply it dry. I haven't tried it (I'm lucky if I can get lipstick on in the mornings) but I guess it's another option.
Is it really powder? Or just creamy stuff that comes in a compact? I usually use this and don't know if it would "fly":
http://www.revlon.com/product.asp?Pr...5&Mode=catalog

Also cream blush that you can apply with fingers or sponge:
http://www.revlon.com/product.asp?Pr...4&Mode=catalog

Anyone know if these are ok? At least outbound from the US to London?
Old Sep 16, 2006, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
is better than a tidy one. The TSA men tend to get a glazed look in their eyes when they see a messy, jammed hand bag.
So true! That's why I stashed my mascara and stuff between a bunch of tampons in the zipper part of my purse, and hoped I got a male screener.
It worked!
Old Sep 17, 2006, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Calcifer
I got a cosmetics catalog in the mail today and it appears that Clinique also has a new powder foundation, although they suggest you only apply it dry. I haven't tried it (I'm lucky if I can get lipstick on in the mornings) but I guess it's another option.
I stopped by the Clinique counter today to get some eye shadow base and asked about the powder foundation. The salesgirl told me that personally, she preferred the Prescriptives powder as it didn't oxidize on her skin (slightly oily, like mine) and darken over time.

Buying all this powder instead of liquid stuff is expensive! I spend my morning going to different shops and trying stuff out, but it's so hard so say what'll work.

The only thing I haven't got is a body lotion replacement, and I have no idea where the nearest Lush shop is to try a bar. Guess I'll be testing out the lotions in a bag method this week and hoping the hotel will have enough on hand (as it were)!
Old Sep 17, 2006, 3:49 pm

older TSA man at SAN

At SJC, the woman looking at my carry-on Xray wouldn't let the bag through. The older TSA man, probably 60's, opened it, opened the ziploc in which I had tightly packaged ointments, etc, took out a sample size tube of hand cream and said "no creams." I said "I thought 1 oz was OK?" Then he opened a tiny jar, I said it was vaseline, I'd just put little in that jar" and touched it and put a bit on my hand and rubbed it in. He put it back and the hand cream tube and off I went.

However, I don't think a woman would have let me through.

I just put the contents of that ziploc in a larger one and I'll see what happens next time.

I did check a bag with most things, took three changes of clothes for a two day one night meeting, didn't have to wait at either end for baggage, but this was commuter, SJC SAN and return.

Sylvia
Old Sep 17, 2006, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Owlchick
I stopped by the Clinique counter today to get some eye shadow base and asked about the powder foundation. The salesgirl told me that personally, she preferred the Prescriptives powder as it didn't oxidize on her skin (slightly oily, like mine) and darken over time.

Thanks for checking that out and reporting back!
Old Sep 17, 2006, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hate the uncertainty!

Originally Posted by SylviaCaras
At SJC, the woman looking at my carry-on Xray wouldn't let the bag through. The older TSA man, probably 60's, opened it, opened the ziploc in which I had tightly packaged ointments, etc, took out a sample size tube of hand cream and said "no creams." I said "I thought 1 oz was OK?" Then he opened a tiny jar, I said it was vaseline, I'd just put little in that jar" and touched it and put a bit on my hand and rubbed it in. He put it back and the hand cream tube and off I went.

However, I don't think a woman would have let me through.

I just put the contents of that ziploc in a larger one and I'll see what happens next time.

I did check a bag with most things, took three changes of clothes for a two day one night meeting, didn't have to wait at either end for baggage, but this was commuter, SJC SAN and return.

Sylvia
I'm traveling very 'heavy' now with my checked bags! Yes, 2! If I even think I might need something, I pack it. As long as I have to wait for my baggage, might as well do that!

It's a big shlep, but I don't think the airlines are noticing that I've gone from 23 pounds of luggage to well over 80.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP; CO Plat; HH Diamond; Adm Club
Smile Just went to Sephora...

and they have "Marc Jacobs" (one of my 2 favorite perfumes) in a solid compact (it's actually really cute).

They also have a cake mascara (that is "flying off the shelves") but they admitted it's only good for adding color, not curl or length.

I was pleased to find someone at the counter who was familiar with "our plight" and was at the ready with a verbal list of products they were carrying.

So, now I've got a powder foundation from MAC, stick deoderent and solid perfume....I may just be able to get by (if I don't get a daffy TSA agent who takes away my blush...)

I loved the gal who suggested "burying" your mascara in your purse under a bunch of tampons and hoping you get a male TSA. Think I'm willing to try that!

d-

Last edited by dknyc01; Sep 18, 2006 at 3:31 pm
Old Sep 18, 2006, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AS MVP Gold, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
I'm traveling very 'heavy' now with my checked bags! Yes, 2! If I even think I might need something, I pack it. As long as I have to wait for my baggage, might as well do that!

It's a big shlep, but I don't think the airlines are noticing that I've gone from 23 pounds of luggage to well over 80.
Airlines are actually saying this is becoming a problem for them, ppl are packing more stuff for the exact reason you mentioned. If you have to check might as well take everything you might need. This causes some weight issues with planes as well as space issues in the cargo hold. I am wondering if there are more WC compaints since workers have to lift heavier bags :-/

On a positive note I have no problem finding space for my carry on since I am still not checking a bag
Old Sep 18, 2006, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

well

I would love to be able to travel carry on only, but we have stiff dress and make up requirements both while traveling and at our destinations. How stiff are the rules? Well, I can only say that there are few loop holes. I now have 'doubles' on all my needed products and pack one complete set in each of 2 checked bags in case one set goes missing.

Using face powder has caused me to have spots I haven't had for years. Not nice!

A very nice make up consultant at a COSTCO gave me a whole bunch of samples of their version of some Revlon products. I can have a few items in my purse. The next big city I visit is going to get some serious money when I hit the stores.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT, USAir Gold
Originally Posted by Owlchick
IThe only thing I haven't got is a body lotion replacement, and I have no idea where the nearest Lush shop is to try a bar.
Lubriderm has new Moisture Mitts - you wet them in the shower and whatever is in them turns into body lotion - which you then rub all over. I think they're kind of like the facial cloths. Anyway, they're on sale this week - I think at CVS, but possibly Walgreens also. I have not used them since I'm slathering on loads of heavy duty cream before my flight and I can usually go a couple of days without body lotion.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL PM MM
Originally Posted by TrishBOS
Lubriderm has new Moisture Mitts - you wet them in the shower and whatever is in them turns into body lotion - which you then rub all over. I think they're kind of like the facial cloths. Anyway, they're on sale this week - I think at CVS, but possibly Walgreens also. I have not used them since I'm slathering on loads of heavy duty cream before my flight and I can usually go a couple of days without body lotion.
Are these for body only, or can they be used as a facial moisturizer? That is the one thing I have yet to find.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Dorlee
Are these for body only, or can they be used as a facial moisturizer? That is the one thing I have yet to find.
I looked at those mitts at Longs', but wasn't sure they'd do what I needed, which is to moisturize my hands and legs on the flight.

Dorlee...for myself, I'm wearing pants with pockets and slipping my little Olay sample tubes into them. They often have giveaways of various new lotions to send out. I figure I could always try to refill they by rinsing them out with alcohol then sucking up lotions with them.

Makes me anxious. I don't jaywalk, so I can't believe I'm conspiring to stash moisturizer!
Old Sep 19, 2006, 7:23 am
Original Member

Programs: AC
solid perfumes at b-glowing

http://www.b-glowing.com/index.cfm?s...and&path=clear

I haven't tried these yet, but the price is right and they sound delicious.

Lorna

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.