Community
Wiki Posts
Search

washing pashminas

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2003, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
washing pashminas

O2K said she couldn't live without her
cashmere shawl while travellign. Me, I love my many pashminas, but can you handwash these puppies?

Ditto for foulard scarves.

lala
Old Dec 10, 2003, 1:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Like you I have a lot of pashminas, but mine all go to the drycleaner. Haven't considered handwashing (which I don't do anyway), but would worry about what happens to them. Maybe Punki or someone else has tried & could post.

------------------
Sharon
Old Dec 10, 2003, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Found this link. I'm going to try it on my pashmina that doesn't have the large salad dressing stain first.

http://www.smartsavings.com.sg/buying_guides/
pashminas/pashmina_care.htm
Old Dec 10, 2003, 6:36 pm

if you're talking about a true pashmina shawl woven from the hair of nepalese goats, be careful. It's the same as very fine cashmere.

if you're talking about what the stores and ads call "pashminas," figuring that we dumb clucks think any soft wool shawl is made of "pashmina," deal with it the same way you do cashmere and silk---it's a combo of both fibers.

I used this link for a story years ago,and it does a pretty good job of explaining what our higher end "pashminas" are. Who knows about the 25 buck bargains ....

http://www.tibet.ca/wtnarchive/2000/3/8_8.html

[This message has been edited by joanek (edited Dec 10, 2003).]
Old Dec 10, 2003, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

I speak of the pashmina that is 70% cashmere and 30% wool, not necessarily the result of a billy goat's electrolysis and as expensive as a year's worth, but good enough to look styling.

lala
Old Dec 10, 2003, 7:25 pm

I had no doubt you'd be stylin'! The nice sweater treatment should be just fine. Not baaaaaad for goat hair, either.
Old Dec 12, 2003, 9:19 am

Programs: Everything and everywhere. Officially a nomad
The real one goes to the cleaners, the $25 one goes in the washer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.