Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Renting an apt. abroad. What to bring from home

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2003, 6:10 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy
Original Poster

After many years of traveling to Venice, we have rented an apartment for our 2-week stay in November. I'm very excited about shopping for food in the Rialto and cooking with local ingredients. The apartment has what is described as an "equipped kitchen" (specifically mentioning oven, stove, crockery, cutlery..the rental agent is London-based). So, my question is: should I bring my trusty whisks, wooden spoons, favorite pot for cooking risotto, etc? I would love to hear from those who have rented apartments abroad in terms of what to expect in an "equipped kitchen."
Thanks for your help.
O2K
Old Oct 10, 2003, 7:08 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I'd suggest you write the owner and specifically inquire about items you'll want that may or may not be in the kitchen. If the rental agent won't put you in contact with the owner directly, they'll probably pass along your email and then forward the response.

I've rented several homes in Italy and France and for the most part found they had everything I needed - they may not have been the quality I have at home, but weren't poor enough to make me wish I'd lugged a bunch of things with me. I've had to buy things such as dish soap, foil and plastic wrap, but not utensils. Plan on having to buy toilet paper too. I've yet to rent a house, including the castle I rented in Umbria, that has had any toilet paper in it.

I do have a friend who rented an apartment in Rome that had absolutely nothing in it. That seemed to be an exception though.

Have fun.

BTW, expect an email from me regarding AMS sometime soon.

Old Oct 10, 2003, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by letiole:
I'd suggest you write the owner and specifically inquire about items you'll want that may or may not be in the kitchen. If the rental agent won't put you in contact with the owner directly, they'll probably pass along your email and then forward the response.

I've rented several homes in Italy and France and for the most part found they had everything I needed - they may not have been the quality I have at home, but weren't poor enough to make me wish I'd lugged a bunch of things with me. I've had to buy things such as dish soap, foil and plastic wrap, but not utensils. Plan on having to buy toilet paper too. I've yet to rent a house, including the castle I rented in Umbria, that has had any toilet paper in it.

I do have a friend who rented an apartment in Rome that had absolutely nothing in it. That seemed to be an exception though.

Have fun.

BTW, expect an email from me regarding AMS sometime soon.

</font>
Thanks. I kind of wondered about the toilet-paper. I knew, for sure, that there were not any terry-cloth
robes . What about hangars? Should I bring some from home?
BTW--looking forward to your e-mail re; AMS
Also, thanks so much for your input.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 7:54 pm

Hangars have been hit or miss for me. That might be one you want to ask about.

It's so odd sometimes when you rent houses you just never know. I rented one recently and the fridge was fairly well stocked (although I tossed everything that wasn't new, fresh and sealed). I assume the cleaning people left the food the last people didn't finish. Another place had a fully stocked liquor cabinet they made available to renters (guess they haven't rented to many FTers .) I didn't touch it, but it seemed pretty generous.

I do miss robes in rental houses. I have some yukata that don't take much room in a suitcase, so sometimes I pack one of those. They're not warm and fluffy, but I can enjoy breakfast in one.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

I do miss robes in rental houses. I have some yukata that don't take much room in a suitcase, so sometimes I pack one of those. They're not warm and fluffy, but I can enjoy breakfast in one.
Thanks. You have convinced me to bring a fuzzy robe. I don't think I want to wear my yukata on the terazza in November I will definitely bring some hangars and do a costco run for toiletpaper prior to the trip (although, it is unlikely that I can pack all 35 rolls of Charmin.

[This message has been edited by obscure2k (edited 10-10-2003).]
Old Oct 10, 2003, 9:28 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by obscure2k:
I will definitely bring some hangars and do a costco run for toiletpaper prior to the trip (although, it is unlikely that I can pack all 35 rolls of Charmin.</font>
In the event that you don't want to lug such a low value product such as TP over the Atlantic, there are plenty of shops in Italy that sell toilet paper. And not at a high cost, I'd attest. Try to find a Coop or an Hypermercato (or really any other corner market) and expect to pay no more than $3 for TP. A mere $3 must be worth the extra space in the luggage for shoes

[This message has been edited by BingoSF (edited 10-10-2003).]
Old Oct 11, 2003, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Why do you need "hangars?" Are you planning to fly your own plane(s) to Venice?

Kathy
Old Oct 11, 2003, 9:21 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Why do you need "hangars?" </font>
You busted us both Kathy. Though arriving in Venice by private plane before stepping into a water taxi does sound rather appealing.
Old Oct 11, 2003, 9:48 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by KathyWdrf:
Why do you need "hangars?" Are you planning to fly your own plane(s) to Venice?

Kathy
</font>
Just plan on parking the plane in Venice
Old Oct 11, 2003, 12:33 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BingoSF:
A mere $3 must be worth the extra space in the luggage for shoes
</font>
Bingo Bingo Bingo...where are your priorities woman? You PACK the TP, so that you can use that space in the suitcase on the return trip for the SHOES that you BUY!

Old Oct 11, 2003, 4:47 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
We rent an apartment in Rome every year, it is exceedingly well stocked, however, the knives suck.

So, if I was going to do lots of cooking I would bring my own knives, a few of those flexible cutting boards and spices, yup spices.

Spices are exceedingly expensive and sometimes hard to find. I know in the campo de fiori there is a spice merchant and I can buy in bulk, but I know in Seattle I can buy bulk spices and only buy enough for the week I'll be in Italy. When I lived in Rome all I wanted after about two months was chili. My partner brought me chili powder and I was happy, granted for week I won't be jonesing for a breakfast buritto, but I'll need nutmeg for dessert and I won't be able to find it.

Carta Igenica is everywhere in Italy, find an acqua and sapone store and go wild. If you have a true love of type of sponge, take it with, if you need ziplock bags, buy here.

As for robes, oh yeah, bring your own.

Have fun. Please note good restos in Venice, I have yet to find more than three.

lala
Old Oct 11, 2003, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lalala:
We rent an apartment in Rome every year, it is exceedingly well stocked, however, the knives suck.

So, if I was going to do lots of cooking I would bring my own knives, a few of those flexible cutting boards and spices, yup spices.

Spices are exceedingly expensive and sometimes hard to find. I know in the campo de fiori there is a spice merchant and I can buy in bulk, but I know in Seattle I can buy bulk spices and only buy enough for the week I'll be in Italy. When I lived in Rome all I wanted after about two months was chili. My partner brought me chili powder and I was happy, granted for week I won't be jonesing for a breakfast buritto, but I'll need nutmeg for dessert and I won't be able to find it.

Carta Igenica is everywhere in Italy, find an acqua and sapone store and go wild. If you have a true love of type of sponge, take it with, if you need ziplock bags, buy here.

As for robes, oh yeah, bring your own.

Have fun. Please note good restos in Venice, I have yet to find more than three.

lala
</font>
Great tips, lalala. I especially like the advice about the flexible cutting boards and ziploc bags. It never occurred to me to bring spices, but I will pack some of my favorites. I may just feel a screaming need to prepare meatloaf for my family and that requires cumin and nutmeg! I have a list of restaurants I love in Venice but will update on my return as I am staying in a different part of town, this time..Dorsiduro, instead of Cannarregio. lalala what do you do about dry cleaning? I've been going to Venice for years and don't ever remember seeing a dry cleaner. Thanks again for the good tips.
O2K
Old Oct 11, 2003, 5:31 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
O2K --

let me look at my trusty TimeOut Venice when I return from work. They have lots of info about those kind of things.

However, I think that drycleaning in Italy can be hit or miss. I would opt for taking things that are either rather dark and forgiving or can do with a regular washing machine.

I love Venice, I just can't stand looking for food there.

lala

Old Oct 15, 2003, 3:23 pm

Okay, from Time Out Venice 1999 --
things may have changed.

In general:

In Venice there are no self-service launderettes and only a small number of laundries that will do your wash, charging by the kilo. Small family-run dry cleaners are more expensive that the chains that have opened up in recent years.

Centro Pulisecco (nice clean dry )
Cannagregio 6262d, Calle della Testa (041 522 5011)
Open Mon-Fri 8.30-12.30, 3-7 pm
Dry cleaning only with a branch at
Cannaregio 1749, Rio Terra del Cristo
No credit cards

Pulilavenderia
Dorsurduro 3411 Campo Santa Margherita (041 521 2609)
Open 8.45-1 pm, 3-6.30 M-Frid
No credit cards
does more than dry cleaning,ironing, clothes washing
Old Oct 15, 2003, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks, lalala. The location in Dorsiduro is near our apartment. I always wear black but was wondering about the dry cleaners more for my husband's sake. (He wear lots of taupe and greys) Really do appreciate your research. Good to know that the cleaners also provides laundry service, as well. Although apt. is equipped with washer, there is no dryer and the weather can be pretty damp at that time of year. I also don't want my laundry flapping over the Grand Canal
O2K

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.