Wiki Posts
Search

The FT Book Club!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2002, 10:10 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I just did some searches for [i]Steal A Pencil for Me[/b] and it looks like another possible source is the Anne Frank Center in New York. You can order through them by calling 1-800-246-3381. List price is $24.95. Do check your library too. Several libraries came up on the search as having it.
Old Jul 4, 2002, 10:51 am

Yes! Please visit your local library.
Old Jul 5, 2002, 5:54 pm

Programs: delta/song
It's 29.95 at Barnes & Noble.com. I did not see it in softcover. Is is available?
Old Jul 6, 2002, 8:32 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">It's 29.95 at Barnes & Noble.com. I did not see it in softcover. Is is available?</font>
Steal a Pencil for Me is only available in hardback; Five Quarters of the Orange is in paperback.
Old Jul 6, 2002, 4:41 pm

Just bought the book. I went to Costco, but they did not have it. So I had to go to Borders to get it.
Old Jul 9, 2002, 12:57 pm

I have just picked up the book from the local library. It looks excellent! I am going to start reading it today. I have not been able to find "steal a pencil for me" as of yet, however, but will keep searching.
Old Jul 9, 2002, 1:20 pm

It is very interesting. I am looking forward to discussing it with you all.
Old Jul 9, 2002, 7:52 pm

I am reading it now ... can't put it down. Great suggestion! Now, to put it in context, I will have to learn something of the history of the times. ... any advice?
Old Jul 10, 2002, 5:01 am

Programs: USAir AA Hilton
Count me in! Wish I'd read this yesterday, before I made my Barnes & Noble run. But I'll get it this weekend!
Old Jul 10, 2002, 11:15 am

Programs: US3, WN, UA, AA, CO
Is it a fast read? I have another (twice as thick) book I need to start for a Sept book group...
Old Jul 10, 2002, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
I bought Five Quarters of the Orange at the airport this morning and am enjoying it thus far. I did stop at Borders in downtown Portland to see if I could find Steal a Pencil for Me, but they said if I order it now, they would not expect delivery for about weeks. Powells, my favorite book store, doesn't have it at all.

Any other ideas?
Old Jul 10, 2002, 2:04 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TribeFlyer:
Is it a fast read? I have another (twice as thick) book I need to start for a Sept book group...</font>
I just started the book, and I would say it is a pretty fast read. It is very interesting, and I can not put it down at night...so maybe that is why I say that.

Edited to add that I probably will not read next months since I can not locate it at the library and being unemployed I can not spend $25.00 on a hardcover book.

[This message has been edited by pointsgirl (edited 07-10-2002).]
Old Jul 10, 2002, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

If Steal a Pencil for Me is proving too difficult to find, maybe we should pick a different book for August and stick to cheap, easily available paperbacks. Even with Library Dragon and I being willing to share our books, it would take a tremendously long time to get the book around to everyone.

From the AddALL site, it still shows Barnes and Noble online as the only seller having it in stock and it would be $33.89 w/shipping - although I think they have free shipping if you buy two books.

What's everyone think? Have others besides the two of us been able to get the book? I'm heading out of town and hope to be away from computers for a while, so someone feel free to make a decision on this.
Old Jul 10, 2002, 5:50 pm

I like the idea of paperback books right now. Being without a job means I have to be kind of frugal, so spending the extra money on a hardcover is not something I should be doing.
But that is just my opinion. You guys decide what you want to do. I am really easy to please. If you decide to read some hardcover's, then I will wait until the next book.
Of course the happier alternative would be that I actually find a job....then I can read hardcover's or paperbacks.
Old Jul 10, 2002, 7:03 pm

I hear ya, pointsgirl!!!! I am trying to get all from a library as well. One of the good things about being laid off is that I have been forced to do things on the cheap, like getting videos and books from the library ... we can pick an alternative for next month I am sure. My library system also did not have this, but I don't know, maybe if I could find in another system they could borrow it? Am not sure and did not ask them yet. Maybe this book, Steal A Pencil for Me, is kind of new (like a book the librarian recommended to me yesterday "The golem of gotham", she said it was FABULOUS, but since it just came out, would not be widely available in libraries for at least a year!) so maybe we can come back to it when it is more available??! If I find any way to get it, I will let you know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.