Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shoes, but...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2022, 1:10 am

Those who like Smartwool socks might like Darn Tough. I do find them to wear better in the heel and toe than Smartwool.

I usually order these 1/4 tactical (aka mostly black) socks from GoBros https://www.gobros.com/products/darn...30148318888020 during a sale. REI also carries some designs. Darn Tough also has a few midfoot cut no show styles which might work for loafers https://www.gobros.com/products/darn...37880936595645 or the ankle length for people who like that style https://www.gobros.com/products/darn...pr_seq=uniform

They also have heavier padded knee height socks which are nice for boots or roaming about a cold house. For wool compression socks, I bought Sockwell because that is what seemed available at the time. Will keep an eye open for Bombas compression reviews in case the Sockwells wear out. They're also still in good condition.
Buster and rsqrott like this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 4:06 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
I also disliked compression stockings until I tried the Sockwell brand, which comes with several options as far as degree of compression, size, yarn and color. Have tried the Bombas compression and the sockwell fit (me) much better. Found them first in my AAA travel store, but they're also at our local pharmacy and on
Amazon Amazon
gretchendz and rsqrott like this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 11:37 am

I love my Sockwell compression knee socks. I wear them a lot, daily use. The feel great on long walks. Do they wear out? Not any faster than an good quality sock, even last a little longer in my opinion than Bombas.
rsqrott likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by rsqrott
Lacoste outlets still exist, at least at my go to center. Would they carry these? I'm happy to take a look for you.
I don't know if Lacoste and Izod are still under the same corporate umbrella. The socks I love used to be called peds - below the ankle, but above the top edge of the sneaker/golf shoe. The last pack I bought, 6 pair I think, actually have IZOD knitted in, right above the toes. Each pair has it in a different color, so I can exactly match up the correct pairs (the hidden challenges of being a Sock Addict - identical looking socks are not necessarily partners, each sock must stay with the one they arrived with )

If you see them, please let me know!
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDTraveler

If you see them, please let me know!
Women helping women shop, that could be another subtitle for this forum
I'm happy to keep an eye out the next time I'm up at the outlets. It's so frustrating when you find the "right" essential and it gets changed or discontinued (virtually shaking my fist a Puma)
So I'm in early days for my sock trials. The Bombas are extremely comfy on the feet but a little too restrictive on my calf...and I've got relatively skinny "deer legs". I opted for the hiking and the crew versions. I haven't tried the compression yet but I've got a pair of the Bombas and the Sockwells to compare and contrast.
Sierra seems to have Sockwell regularly at reduced prices.
CDTraveler and Hoyaheel like this.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by freecia
Those who like Smartwool socks might like Darn Tough. I do find them to wear better in the heel and toe than Smartwool.
Not sure if my wool socks are smart or not, but the most durable and most comfortable wool socks I have are CostCo brand. They're heading into their 3rd winter, and none of them show signs of wear or tear. When I got them, CostCo sold a pack of 6 pairs for the price of 1 pair of REI wool socks. They came in 2 color schemes, blue and grey or black with various accent colors. Thin enough to wear under city boots, warm enough under hiking boots.
rsqrott likes this.

Last edited by CDTraveler; Oct 20, 2022 at 5:40 pm
Old Oct 20, 2022, 10:57 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
The costco version I have (and I do like!) do not contain as much wool as the smartwool socks I have. If that is a concern. (I also have really fun smartwool patterns, which my husband appreciates - on him, I mean- he likes a vibrant sock!)
Old Oct 20, 2022, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
The costco version I have (and I do like!) do not contain as much wool as the smartwool socks I have. If that is a concern. (I also have really fun smartwool patterns, which my husband appreciates - on him, I mean- he likes a vibrant sock!)
Eddie Bauer used to carry really pretty wool socks, with bright patterns. Then they switched to making them in China, and the quality fell off a cliff. One pair developed a hole under the ball of the foot the first time I wore them .
gretchendz likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 11:24 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I have (in my "loungewear" collection now, not for wear outside the house) an Eddie Bauer cotton knit tank dress (full length) I bought at a warehouse sale in SLC in 1995 or 1996 - they had glorious warehouse sales and I bought so many things, many of which I still own -and I also have an Eddie Bauer cotton knit tank dress from 2018 or so. The difference in the thickness of the fabric alone is astonishing to me. Truly sad.
CDTraveler likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.