Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Reapplying makeup during overseas flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:51 am
Original Poster

I haven't been on a flight longer than 4 or so hours for decades. I'm flying Delta One to Europe next month. I will most likely apply my makeup by 8:30AM EST and will arrive at my destination in Italy at 7:45AM Central European time (about 17 hrs later). I'm trying to figure out how avoid scaring people when I arrive.

I have 4 hours at JFK between flights so will do some touchups. The flight to Milan leaves around 5:30 PM so I thought I'd use something to remove it after dinner before trying to sleep (fingers crossed). I do want to arrive somewhat presentable. This isn't a 5 minute process. There are only 2 lavs in the cabin so don't want to hog one for 30 minutes. I would use the lav to wash and brush my teeth but would it be considered rude to put it on while sitting in my seat? It is an A330-300 so no door. I'm at the window so nobody next to me.

Do you have a routine you can share? Thanks!
Old Jan 14, 2020, 6:01 pm

Programs: BA GfL
I would find it rather odd to have someone in the seat next to me putting on makeup for half an hour. It seems a bit too personal of a task to subject a total stranger to. Considering everyone on the plane will already know what you look like w/o makeup by the end of the flight, why not just use a bathroom in your destination airport, before or after you pick up your bags?
Old Jan 15, 2020, 7:24 am

Programs: American Airlines, Marriott, Hertz, Avis
I totally do my makeup at my seat on a long flight if I can’t get off the plane looking like a mess.

First off - take your makeup off before the flight/off the plane so you can take your time & space and have normal air to do it in. Get on the plane with a clean, well moisturized face like you’re ready for bed.

Then right before you land: I use micellar water wipes in the bathroom to take my face off, and put on moisturizer and tinted sunscreen while in there. And then my makeup - which is fairly simple, but enough so I look ok - under eye corrector/eyeshadow/mascara/tinted lip balm - I do at my seat once the moisturizer sinks in. Maybe I get weird looks, but I don’t mind, and it also distracts me from being impatient waiting for the plane to land.

My full skincare routine (serums, actives, etc) can skip that morning, or really, what tends to happen is I do it mid-day-ish when I get to wherever I am going or have more time.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelmad478
I would find it rather odd to have someone in the seat next to me putting on makeup for half an hour. It seems a bit too personal of a task to subject a total stranger to. Considering everyone on the plane will already know what you look like w/o makeup by the end of the flight, why not just use a bathroom in your destination airport, before or after you pick up your bags?
Thank you for your reply! The destination airport is something I had not considered. I will keep this in mind as an option. As for my neighbor being disturbed, I am in a lone seat in Delta One at the window. The only people who would see me were anyone standing, walking down the aisle or diagonal from me.
In2ishn likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerStef
I totally do my makeup at my seat on a long flight if I can’t get off the plane looking like a mess.

First off - take your makeup off before the flight/off the plane so you can take your time & space and have normal air to do it in. Get on the plane with a clean, well moisturized face like you’re ready for bed.

Then right before you land: I use micellar water wipes in the bathroom to take my face off, and put on moisturizer and tinted sunscreen while in there. And then my makeup - which is fairly simple, but enough so I look ok - under eye corrector/eyeshadow/mascara/tinted lip balm - I do at my seat once the moisturizer sinks in. Maybe I get weird looks, but I don’t mind, and it also distracts me from being impatient waiting for the plane to land.

My full skincare routine (serums, actives, etc) can skip that morning, or really, what tends to happen is I do it mid-day-ish when I get to wherever I am going or have more time.
I saw a video that suggestied that you board the plane sans makeup and heavily moisturized. Let's see if I'm brave enough to do that. I can also use a wipe after dinner when I brush my teeth to wipe it all away. I use a powder foundation which would be quick and easy to apply before landing. Then I could do as you suggest - an abbreviated eye/lip thing. Thanks so much!
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by Ezzy77
As for my neighbor being disturbed, I am in a lone seat in Delta One at the window. The only people who would see me were anyone standing, walking down the aisle or diagonal from me.
If that’s the case then it’s not so bad, although I’d personally feel weird doing something so “private” in a public space.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:24 pm

If I saw OP apply makeup, I might be looking but pretending not to. It wouldn't be a judging look but a bit of fascination to see her routine and products. I sometimes watch skincare and makeup tutorials on YouTube to learn new things.

Some people do prefer others keep their personal grooming personal. I wouldn't want to see someone brushing their teeth at their seat, for example. But I also think some of that set judges people for not putting on their face before greeting the public. No thank you to that travel catch 22.

A pair of sunglasses and some oil blotting sheets can help. I assure you that the immigration and customs officers have seen a wide variety of tired travelers. You will absolutely look better than that solo parent flying with three children including the toddler who didn't sleep more than two hours the night before, her sister who couldn't hold it in time to get to the bathroom, and the oldest who (still) gets air sick.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 5:57 am

I marvel at my fellow commuters that can apply their makeup on the bus, train or subway. The bouncing and shifting, paired with trying to hold a mirror steady would result in a mess if I tried it. I feel the same about trying to do my makeup on a plane.
That said, if my "face" lasts me all day (and it does) it should last me through an overnight flight...and it does.
I use mascara primer under my mascara and a gel eyeliner. Everything stays put. I carry cotton swabs loaded with makeup remover, just in case something smears during the flight, which I can then address on arrival at the airports. I suspect the passport control agents have seen worse that smudged eye makeup (I consider it "smokey")
Freecia's suggestion of blotting sheets is a great idea if you tend to get shiny.
Ezzy77, cawhite and TheInfamousJ like this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 2:10 pm

Programs: MileagePlus and a bunch of hotel programs
+1

This is what I do. Take my makeup off before getting on board and then an abbreviated makeup routine just before landing. I've never noticed weird looks, but I don't think I'd care, in any event....
Old Jan 21, 2020, 12:14 pm

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon; MR Gold; HH Silver; BW Diamond (status match)
I can't do my makeup in a moving apparatus to save my life.

I recommend a really good, moisturizing primer, do your makeup (keeping it as "natural" as possible, IMO), then use a setting spray. Once you're off the plane and in your hotel, wash and moisturize your face really well.
gretchendz, Ezzy77 and cawhite like this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:57 pm

I always do my morning routine in the destination airport's bathroom. I haven't yet been in an airport where there isn't a bathroom at the end of the long cattle run right before customs. I brush my teeth in the bathroom, I freshen my face in the bathroom. I consider the long twisting corridor to be an extension of the plane.
Ezzy77 and JetBunny like this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 6:57 am

I do long haul flights several times a year - I never go onboard with makeup on. The air is too dry for my skin to breathe and I reapply moisturizer several times during the flight.
I usually will apply toner, serums and moisturizer in the lav when I'm brushing my teeth, and have no qualms about doing eye makeup and the rest of the works in my seat.

Heck, I've had the whole routine done in my seat once when we were experiencing heavy turbulence for 2 hours before we landed - I don't really think there's anything too gross or disgusting about applying makeup in a semi-public setting like an airplane seat.
In2ishn and Ezzy77 like this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
If you are traveling in J, go to the lounge before your flight, have a nice little meal, go the ladies' room there, and remove your make-up in a quiet, well-lit bathroom that is relatively clean. Pull your hair back into a pony or a braid (and apply hair oil, if needed). Apply serums and a heavy moisturizer to your skin. Airplane air is really dry. Finish with a good lip balm. Wear a nice pair of sunglasses onto the plane if you don't want people to see you without your undereye concealer and mascara.

Once on board, check your skin periodically, and re-apply moisturizer and lip balm as needed. The air on the plane is very dry. If you feel like an extra dose of moisturization, take a sheet mask with you and put it on after the dinner service (make sure to take it off within 10-15 minutes -- otherwise, you are sapping your skin of precious moisture). Remove, then rub in the moisturizers and other ingredients into your skin.

In the morning, after you brush your teeth, apply moisturizer as needed, then a quick make-up routine in your seat is fine. Try to stick to something you can do without spilling: think cushion or powder foundations; as well as products that serve multiple functions and take up little room, such as face palettes. I have terrible undereye circles, but when I am doing my make-up after a long flight, I stick to a brightening product under my eyes, and leave the concealer for later. I also use a little bit of a eyeshadow as an eyeliner (I can't work with an eyeliner pencil on a plane), and then brush out my brows a bit. And maybe a bit of mascara. I brighten the cheeks with some very light pink blush and finish with a bit of gloss. That's it. I just want to look awake and refreshed, get rid of the dark circles, and bring some color back to my cheeks. The rest is too much for an airplane.
Ezzy77 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Lots of great ideas here. Thank you all for the replies.

Took advantage of all the mini holiday make up and skin care sets so I have more minis than I could ever use. One of the sales persons at Nordstrom even gave me samples of the few things I didn’t have in travel size. Great timing.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 12:49 pm

I also don't bother. I know that when I get to my hotel I'm going to take a shower, change clothes, and do a full refresh... well, if I'm not so tired that I need a nap. If I am not going to my hotel, I go to the arrivals lounge and clean up or even take a shower if they have them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.