Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Talk to me about the SK-II essence

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador

The good, the bad, and the ugly.

I am having such mixed feelings about it. In my 30s, I used it, and felt it kept a certain glow to my skin. Recently, I picked it up again, and thought it made my skin feel a bit dry. Admittedly, it was mid-winter. When I finished the bottle, I decided not to re-purchase. Now, though, I am having second thoughts. I notice my skin is looking a bit dull (in spite of Creme de la Mer by day and Sisley by night).

I am starting to think that the SK-II did make a difference. My skin looked better with the SK-II -- it just felt a bit dry immediately after application. Have any of you ever used it? What has your experience been? Have you tried the Korean drugstore dupes? Thoughts?

Am I just noticing every little thing because my birthday is coming up?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by ysolde
The good, the bad, and the ugly.

I am having such mixed feelings about it. In my 30s, I used it, and felt it kept a certain glow to my skin. Recently, I picked it up again, and thought it made my skin feel a bit dry. Admittedly, it was mid-winter. When I finished the bottle, I decided not to re-purchase. Now, though, I am having second thoughts. I notice my skin is looking a bit dull (in spite of Creme de la Mer by day and Sisley by night).
I'm not familiar with the product you mention, but I find what I put in me matters more than what I put on my skin. Try drinking more water and consider taking biotin (does amazing things for hair) and possibly evening primrose oil for skin. There is trustworthy info on both products available on the web, just screen your research carefully because, ya know, there are a lot of crackpots out there, too.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
I have not used SKII Essence (or the Korean dupes, but Misha? Miisha? gets good reviews elsewhere), but I really like the masks, particularly to revive my skin after long flights. I think the masks are basically just soaked in the essence, right? On a recent trip, I put one of the masks on, and then fell asleep with it on. By the time I woke up, it was completely dry. (I was tired, dehydrated, and in a dehydrated hotel room.) My skin was very, very cranky after. Dried out, red, and irritated, which surprised me, since I figured the more SKII goodness that penetrated the better, but it really dried me out. Perhaps one needs to up the moisturizer immediately after using?

For dealing with dullness, I've found vitamin C serums to be very effective, to the point that there is a noticeable difference when I don't use one. I'm currently very pleased with the Drunk Elephant serum: it doesn't sting, it doesn't smell like hot dog water, and the packaging is very good as well as being travel friendly. I think I prefer it to Skinceuticals C E Ferulic (and considering the Skinceuticals is about double the price, my wallet is happy, too.)
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
If you're ready to try it again, and are a Costco member, the 11ozbottle is available for $189. Which I think is about half price?
Old May 22, 2017, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Well, I think I found something that helps with the dullness: Good Genes by Sunday Riley. It's a lactic acid serum. You apply a pump or two on a clean face each night. I've been using it consistently for about a month and I can say my skin looks much more radiant.

It also claims to get rid of fine lines. It may be too soon to tell about that, or that may be just BS. However, it does plump up the skin temporarily, so I have used this before a night out, under make-up. Gets rid of fine lines and wrinkles for the night, makes me look all glowy, and overall, a nice effect for the evening under make-up.

A good product. Medium price point.
Old May 22, 2017, 11:40 am

Thanks for the update. I can't use glycolic because it always seems to break me out, but I've done ok with lactic acid products. The last one I was using got discontinued, so this is a helpful rec!
Old May 22, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
Well, I think I found something that helps with the dullness: Good Genes by Sunday Riley. It's a lactic acid serum. You apply a pump or two on a clean face each night. I've been using it consistently for about a month and I can say my skin looks much more radiant.
Oh yes, Good Genes is magnificent. It's one of the products that I definitely rebuy, and I always travel with it (decanted into a Muji 15mL pump.) Plus, for some adding, emergency pep, mix a pump or two of Good Genes with a pump or two of Sunday Riley's Good Genes for a flash facial.
Old May 22, 2017, 6:56 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold

It also claims to get rid of fine lines. It may be too soon to tell about that, or that may be just BS. However, it does plump up the skin temporarily, so I have used this before a night out, under make-up. Gets rid of fine lines and wrinkles for the night, makes me look all glowy, and overall, a nice effect for the evening under make-up.

A good product. Medium price point.
I've recently been liking their Luna Oil, which is a nighttime product. Will have to try Good Genes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.