Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GiGi New York Totes?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
GiGi New York Totes?

Anyone familiar with these? I just discovered this line of handbags and small leather goods. AFAICT, they are only available on the internet. My husband just got me one of their totes (the Taylor) for our anniversary. I like it for travel because, unlike the current fashion in totes, it's zipped at the top, and it does not have the company logo all over it (or anywhere that I can see). It's also reasonably priced.

We'll see how it goes. I was thinking of the new LV tote (I think it's called the Iena), because it's zipped at the top. But I am tired of the whole logo thing. I don't want to be a walking billboard, especially when I travel, KWIM? I wanted something more personal, something that didn't shout, "Look at me!"
Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:50 am

I'd love a long-term review, please, especially how the corners and straps stand up to wear.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by edcaya
I'd love a long-term review, please, especially how the corners and straps stand up to wear.
Me too! I haven't heard of this brand either, but I love the look of their crossbody bags. I always look at women schlepping those LV bags around with no zipper or closure at the top and wonder how they're not losing everything on the x-ray conveyer or in the overhead.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by Buster
Me too! I haven't heard of this brand either, but I love the look of their crossbody bags. I always look at women schlepping those LV bags around with no zipper or closure at the top and wonder how they're not losing everything on the x-ray conveyer or in the overhead.
This is why I never got the Neverfull. I thought it was a disaster waiting to happen, with stuff falling out at airports, under the seat (or in some storage compartment), and with my head only half-screwed on as I get off a flight, I won't notice until I look in the arrivals lounge (or, worse yet, at the hotel ). I waited until I found a tote with a zipper.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Cute! How heavy is the leather? I do only travel with zipped bags but usually nylon of some sort as leather (while it looks nicer!) is heavier than I like.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:57 am

I was lusting after the LV Neverfull MM but figured the open top would be a mess even though most of my odds and ends are contained in smaller bags but how heavy are these Gigi bags? Sometimes leather can start out as heavy and I need light weight. I know the Neverfull are light. I'm even considering Longchamps but they don't have much in the way of inner compartments.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It's about 1.6 lbs, empty (I just placed it on the bathroom scale), so not the lightest bag in the world, but definitely not the heaviest. The bottom is shaped, plus it has those little metal "feet" (I don't know the technical term) to keep the bag from getting dirty if you set it down, all of which (plus the zipper) I suspect add a bit of weight.

My lightest tote is definitely the Longchamp Le Pliage, made of nylon, but I use that for other purposes (as a carry-on, not as a travel handbag).
Old Feb 3, 2017, 8:21 pm

Good to know. Thanks. I wish the websites would put the weights in the description.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: United Lifetime Gold;SPG Gold (occasional platinum);SW;etc.
That looks like an interesting bag. Please post a review when you have used it for a while. I am always on the lookout for lightweight cross body or tote that will be very durable, have some pockets and organization (I don't like one big compartment), and not scream anyone's name or initials. I just don't want to call attention to myself when traveling.

I just ordered the MZ Wallace small Crosby bag and hope that it will be especially useful for travel. It's a nylon cross body handbag with some pockets and compartments but is not as busy as some of their others. I would really prefer leather but went with the nylon b/c of the weight.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by travelmom4
I just ordered the MZ Wallace small Crosby bag and hope that it will be especially useful for travel. It's a nylon cross body handbag with some pockets and compartments but is not as busy as some of their others. I would really prefer leather but went with the nylon b/c of the weight.
I'm a huge fan of MZ Wallace's bags, especially for travel. The medium and large Sutton satchels and Metro totes are great for overnight trips or as personal items, and the Chelsea tote is a fantastic alternative to Longchamp's Le Pliage tote.

travelmom4, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how sturdy MZ Wallace's nylon is. I have the small Sutton satchel in both leather and nylon, and I definitely need to be more careful with the leather version.
Old May 31, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Gringa
I was lusting after the LV Neverfull MM but figured the open top would be a mess even though most of my odds and ends are contained in smaller bags but how heavy are these Gigi bags? Sometimes leather can start out as heavy and I need light weight. I know the Neverfull are light. I'm even considering Longchamps but they don't have much in the way of inner compartments.
I have traveled with a MM neverfull since they came out and I have never lost anything. The key is to not over fill it and to use bags to organize the contents. I have a ton of longchamp bags, but only use the medium/large les pliages for carry on.

Same thing there - use other bags to keep things organized.
Old May 31, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by ysolde
I like it for travel because, unlike the current fashion in totes, it's zipped at the top, and it does not have the company logo all over it (or anywhere that I can see).
That's my issue with a lot of totes - I won't buy anything that doesn't zip. Open bags are not a good choice for those of us that get around on public transportation, IMHO. Can't imagine using one for travel, either - things could fall out too easily if it's on an airplane floor under the seat in front of me.
Old May 31, 2017, 3:08 pm

I need a zipper top plus som compartments and zippered inner pockets
Old May 31, 2017, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ShopAround
That's my issue with a lot of totes - I won't buy anything that doesn't zip. Open bags are not a good choice for those of us that get around on public transportation, IMHO. Can't imagine using one for travel, either - things could fall out too easily if it's on an airplane floor under the seat in front of me.
I notice you live in NYC, too. I think those of us that rely on public transportation don't do open bags (even though they look chic and like they hold so much). As for travel, I agree that the open tote poses a problem when placed under the seat in front of you (and I can't imagine what would happen if it were placed in an overhead bin, with all the jostling about that goes on up there). There is also the issue of going through security with an open tote. Call me paranoid, but I am simply not comfortable with the idea.
Old May 31, 2017, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by ysolde
I notice you live in NYC, too. I think those of us that rely on public transportation don't do open bags (even though they look chic and like they hold so much). As for travel, I agree that the open tote poses a problem when placed under the seat in front of you (and I can't imagine what would happen if it were placed in an overhead bin, with all the jostling about that goes on up there). There is also the issue of going through security with an open tote. Call me paranoid, but I am simply not comfortable with the idea.
As general rule I agree with you on the open totes, but there's variants on them I find useful. My FT Secret Santa sent me the Anne Klein medium tote which has 2 inner zipper pockets and a snap across the top. I plan to take it on vacation this summer, but not use it on the flights. For getting there and back I have a very small LeSportSac cross body that I can fit into my carry-on. The tote will go in the suitcase and then be used for around town sight-seeing - valuables in the inner zipper pockets, sweater, umbrella, snacks, etc. in the larger areas. And I tend to collect a few souvenirs, so flexible capacity is good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.