Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Steals and splurges: Share the best of your high and low-end travel beauty secrets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Steals and splurges: Share the best of your high and low-end travel beauty secrets

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by ysolde
Two years and I don't know how many hits and misses later, I finally found something!!!!

It's a CC cream (I still have no earthly idea what the difference is between a BB and a CC, but, there you go). Armani Luminessence CC. Color 1. It's got an SPF of 35, but I would not, could not, do not use it as a sunscreen. Shade 1 is ever so slightly darker than my neck, but honestly, once the rest of my make-up is on, you it's imperceptible. I just use an undereye concealer with this (my undereye circles are bad), a bit of cream cheek color, a swipe of burgundy mascara on my upper lashes (it reads like a shade of brown, but brings out my hazel eyes), and some tinted lip balm, and that is my summer day look.

Shade 1 is amazing for those who are fair-skinned and cool-toned. It blends right into the skin, without that awful yellow or peach tint so many other BB and CC creams have. And it has just a slight pearlescence. Nothing shiny or even dewy. It's just when the light hits you the right way, you look like you are lit from within for a moment, with the quiet glow of a pearl that sits quietly and demurely until light hits it, for just a second, at the right angle.

I hit my face with SPF powder every couple of hours, and find that the CC cream stays put all day. I am middle aged (40s) and my skin is normal to dry.
Sigh. Is it possible one's skin grows paler with age? One year later, and this CC cream makes me look, to quote my husband, "Like one of those Jersey Shore kids." Umm, yikes! I tried mixing it in with my everyday foundation (Bobbi Brown's Skin Foundation in Alabaster) but the finish of the CC was just ruined, and the foundation, which normally looks like, well, my skin, looked muddy.

Off to search for another CC cream.

In the meantime, I have been thinking of using the SPF powder that I use to touch up my SPF as a very light foundation (over my SPF). I would have to see how that looks -- could be way too drying at my age. Sigh.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
My new favorite is Make Up For Ever Ultra HD Perfector. "Blurring Skin tint with sunscreen. Broad spectrum SPF 25"

it definitely does not have as much coverage as a regular foundation but it looks very natural and lasts a long time. It was featured in a Sephora box recently so you can find a lot of them on eBay in the smaller size. They claim the color is forgiving one or two shades lighter and darker and I believe it. It has a tiny bit of shine but it looks very natural. A setting powder easily obscures it if you don't want it
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:37 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Thumbs down Aveda Hydrating Mask reformulation

Originally Posted by tcl

Aveda hydrating mask
Extremely soothing for irritated and inflamed skin. This is what I bring with me to sunny destinations.
Sadly, Aveda has reformulated their hydrating mask into something unrecognizable. The new version is some sort of lotion and does not seem to contain much aloe vera nor rosewater and can irritate already sensitive skin.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Has anyone tried the Tatcha Rice Polish? I have been using the Gentle formulation for about a month now, and am really liking it. For a bit of background, I had been using Good Genes for about a year and a half and loved it. Then, starting in late may, we were in Florence, and something happened. I was using my very high SPF (as per usual). Wearing a wide-brimmed hat. Somehow, I ended up with a patchy, nasty sunburn on my face that seemed to track where I put on the Good Genes. Given how conscientious I am about SPF use, it put me off the Good Genes. I cut back on that product to one night a week, and that to a night before a day I know I am not going out of the house. It is still a great product, but I think with age and possibly some hormonal changes I am going through, I am not reacting well to it anymore. Meanwhile, I started looking for a gentler way to exfoliate my skin.

I read a lot about the Tatcha Rice Polish, and while it is recommended that most people start by using the Classic formulation, I decided to go with the Gentle formulation. It really is a gentle exfoliant (made of rice bran and fruit enzymes). Starts as a powder, which you mix with water and turns into a light foam. It works quickly (about twenty seconds on your face, then rinse off). Gentle enough for morning and night use. Within a week, my skin felt soft and glow-y. I have not had any bad reactions in the sun. Because it is a powder, I can pour out a small amount to take with me on our trip next month without being concerned about waste (there is also a small travel size available in the Classic formulation). The price is also quite moderate, which is always nice, IMO.

Any experiences with this?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 6:08 pm

Has anyone tried the Tatcha Rice Polish? I have been using the Gentle formulation for about a month now, and am really liking it. For a bit of background, I had been using Good Genes for about a year and a half and loved it. Then, starting in late may, we were in Florence, and something happened. I was using my very high SPF (as per usual). Wearing a wide-brimmed hat. Somehow, I ended up with a patchy, nasty sunburn on my face that seemed to track where I put on the Good Genes. Given how conscientious I am about SPF use, it put me off the Good Genes. I cut back on that product to one night a week, and that to a night before a day I know I am not going out of the house. It is still a great product, but I think with age and possibly some hormonal changes I am going through, I am not reacting well to it anymore. Meanwhile, I started looking for a gentler way to exfoliate my skin.

I read a lot about the Tatcha Rice Polish, and while it is recommended that most people start by using the Classic formulation, I decided to go with the Gentle formulation. It really is a gentle exfoliant (made of rice bran and fruit enzymes). Starts as a powder, which you mix with water and turns into a light foam. It works quickly (about twenty seconds on your face, then rinse off). Gentle enough for morning and night use. Within a week, my skin felt soft and glow-y. I have not had any bad reactions in the sun. Because it is a powder, I can pour out a small amount to take with me on our trip next month without being concerned about waste (there is also a small travel size available in the Classic formulation). The price is also quite moderate, which is always nice, IMO.

Any experiences with this?
I used the Tatcha Rice Polish Classic for a few months a few years ago but felt it was causing some dry patches which I was already prone to in the winter. I am currently using up a tube of CosRx low pH. Good Morning Cleanser which is still a little bit strong but much less drying. I did up my hydration routine but currently don't do a whole lot for chemical exfoliation (that will change a bit as it gets colder as I'm too fond of hot showers in cold weather). I'll be looking for a slightly gentler low pH cleanser when I've finally finished the CosRx. Tatcha's rice cleansers have a fairly high pH, but perhaps something else in it wasn't great for me Powder Cleanser Comparison Review: Tosowoong, O'slee, Su:m37, & Tatcha - Snow White and the Asian Pear I did splurge on the Tatcha cleansing oil and still love how well it cleanses, emulsifies, and rinses.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:28 pm

Molton Brown shampoo - have you tried it?

In the splurges I'll avoid category: I was a houseguest and my hostess had small Molton Brown shampoos (probably hotel stay souvenirs) in the shower. I tried one and it just about destroyed my hair. I didn't note what specific type it was, the tube had "Molton Brown" in big letters, shampoo in small letters and the smell was an immediate throwback to childhood when my Dad would drink Rye Manhattans during our summer trips to Tahoe and I got the cherry from his drink (actually not what I want my hair smelling like). I used both the shampoo and conditioner, and since then it's like my hair has been stripped of all moisture, mats and tangles something horrible and lost it's normal texture.

Anybody else had a splurge backfire?
Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Marriott, Hertz, Avis
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
In the splurges I'll avoid category: I was a houseguest and my hostess had small Molton Brown shampoos (probably hotel stay souvenirs) in the shower. I tried one and it just about destroyed my hair. I didn't note what specific type it was, the tube had "Molton Brown" in big letters, shampoo in small letters and the smell was an immediate throwback to childhood when my Dad would drink Rye Manhattans during our summer trips to Tahoe and I got the cherry from his drink (actually not what I want my hair smelling like). I used both the shampoo and conditioner, and since then it's like my hair has been stripped of all moisture, mats and tangles something horrible and lost it's normal texture.

Oh no, that's unfortunate!

I've used a fair amount of Molton Brown shampoo and conditioner (seabourn cruise line stocks it in the rooms), and never had an issue. I did need to use two little conditioner bottles per wash, but I have thick long hair, so that's not entirely unusual for me.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by FlyerStef
Oh no, that's unfortunate!

I've used a fair amount of Molton Brown shampoo and conditioner (seabourn cruise line stocks it in the rooms), and never had an issue. I did need to use two little conditioner bottles per wash, but I have thick long hair, so that's not entirely unusual for me.
About that conditioner - my hair is halfway down my back, and fairly thick, too. The conditioner was worthless for undoing the harshness of the shampoo.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:04 pm

Biossance Squalane Oil

I use two drops on my face twice a day. I also use a drop on the back of my hands twice a day. It's so true that one's hands show the first signs of aging.

The original dropper that the oil comes with is difficult to squeeze and only dispenses one drop. I've transferred the oil to a different dropper bottle and have to be careful not to squeeze out more than two drops. Otherwise, my face gets oily.

https://biossance.com/pages/what-is-...hoCrZMQAvD_BwE
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
In the steal category, I am very, very pleased with The Ordinary's Vitamin C powder. Vitamin C has definitely helped my skin, and this one is good: no hot dog water smell (like Skinceuticals), it doesn't oxidize, and it is so very, very cheap. It's $5.80 as compared to $150 or so for Skinceuticals C E Ferulic or $80 for the Drunk Elephant one. That said, the Drunk Elephant one has a lovely texture, was quite effective, but it did oxidize quickly and I can't really justify the price. (I justify a lot of other expensive things!) I didn't like the textures of the other Ordinary vitamin C serums (the one in HA spheres is OK, but a little greasy for me). If I were to go back to a traditional serum, I'd probably rebuy the Timeless C E Ferulic, which was effective, didn't stink, and didn't oxidize before I could use it.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by turnleftbrighteyes
In the steal category, I am very, very pleased with The Ordinary's Vitamin C powder. Vitamin C has definitely helped my skin, and this one is good: no hot dog water smell (like Skinceuticals), it doesn't oxidize, and it is so very, very cheap. It's $5.80 as compared to $150 or so for Skinceuticals C E Ferulic or $80 for the Drunk Elephant one. That said, the Drunk Elephant one has a lovely texture, was quite effective, but it did oxidize quickly and I can't really justify the price. (I justify a lot of other expensive things!) I didn't like the textures of the other Ordinary vitamin C serums (the one in HA spheres is OK, but a little greasy for me). If I were to go back to a traditional serum, I'd probably rebuy the Timeless C E Ferulic, which was effective, didn't stink, and didn't oxidize before I could use it.
Thanks for this information! I really liked the Drunk Elephant, but it oxidized so quickly, I had to throw it away before I had used about a quarter of it. At that price, it was a complete waste. I have heard good things about the Timeless CE Ferulic as well, so good to know.

How do you apply the Vitamin C powder?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
How do you apply the Vitamin C powder?
I've mostly been mixing it into my moisturizer in the morning-- a not at all fancy La Roche Posay Hydreane Legere (which I've been using for years and weirdly love so much that my poor, beleaguered partner had to find an open pharmacy in central Hamburg during the G20 to restock my supplies.) I've also mixed it into a hyaluronic acid serum, too. A salesperson at the Deciem store suggested mixing it into my cleanser, which I've also tried, although I do that only occasionally. It seems a bit of a waste, since it's not on the skin long, but it definitely adds some pep, and, besides, the powder is under $6, so in this case I can live large. Regardless of how well I try to mix, it always remains a bit gritty, but that doesn't overly bother me. The Timeless serum is really nice, and has a lovely texture. A bottle lasted me 3 months with everyday application, with no color change. But the powder has quite a bit more kick.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:56 pm

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Yes! I spent a week at the Palace in San Fran, and fell in love in their Moulton Brown liquid bath soap. Ordered 2 bottles (outrageously expensive), unpacked them, used them once, and HATED them. Back to organic peppermint Dr. Bronner's for me

High end splurge....after years of convincing myself it wasn't worth it, I recently ordered a Mason Pearson mixture brush (Junior size) to replace an old Sonia Kaushik paddle brush. I have a LOT of very thin, shoulder length hair, a dry and itchy scalp, and the need to brush my hair and scalp regularly to keep me from tearing at my scalp, particularly on my non hairwash days. OMG, I am in scalp heaven. The MP brush easily cuts thru my mass of hair and massages my scalp. Itch is gone. I immediately ordered a mini size for my travel haircare 'kit' (styling brush, scalp brush, comb, hairdryer, curling iron ). Having a travel 'kit' prevents me from needing to drag my recurring travel 'stuff' in and out of my bag (and risk forgetting it). I now have a replacement brush. And I'm here to say Mason Pearson brushes are well worth the splurge.

Last edited by navi_jen; Sep 29, 2018 at 11:57 am
Old Nov 4, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by navi_jen
Yes! I spent a week at the Palace in San Fran, and fell in love in their Moulton Brown liquid bath soap. Ordered 2 bottles (outrageously expensive), unpacked them, used them once, and HATED them. Back to organic peppermint Dr. Bronner's for me

High end splurge....after years of convincing myself it wasn't worth it, I recently ordered a Mason Pearson mixture brush (Junior size) to replace an old Sonia Kaushik paddle brush. I have a LOT of very thin, shoulder length hair, a dry and itchy scalp, and the need to brush my hair and scalp regularly to keep me from tearing at my scalp, particularly on my non hairwash days. OMG, I am in scalp heaven. The MP brush easily cuts thru my mass of hair and massages my scalp. Itch is gone. I immediately ordered a mini size for my travel haircare 'kit' (styling brush, scalp brush, comb, hairdryer, curling iron ). Having a travel 'kit' prevents me from needing to drag my recurring travel 'stuff' in and out of my bag (and risk forgetting it). I now have a replacement brush. And I'm here to say Mason Pearson brushes are well worth the splurge.

There has been a lot of buzz lately in the fashion magazines about scalp health. Now, there are so many shampoo and treatment options for scalp in all price ranges. Head & Shoulders was ranked high because of the active ingredient, Pyrithione Zinc !% (anti inflammatory). Charcoal is also big in hair products now.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by navi_jen

Oh, my darling girl! When I got my first Big Law job, (back in the Clinton era) I splurged and bought myself a MP hairbrush, figuring it would help keep my long, delicate, blow-dry only tresses in good condition between visits to the salon. It was the best investment I ever made -- it is still my only hairbrush, and sits in my drawer, good as new. You are tempting me to buy a small one for travel, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.