Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Advice on corporate travel opportunity for mom of two young kids.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on corporate travel opportunity for mom of two young kids.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2013, 3:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Found the thread!

To the OP, found the thread I referenced above. There's a bit of a sidetrack in the middle but it does give lots of good advice:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women...ling-moms.html

Cheers.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 7:39 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by PDPhoto
"(e.g., not travel when an exam is coming up, or a concert, or birthday)"

So the OP is to receive the full benefits of the role, but not fulfil the role fully? That is hardly fair or equitable to the company or her fellow workers who will have to cover for her under performance. would the same allowances even be considered for a male worker?
As previously pointed out: who says that she would suddenly be under-performing? My firm allows women AND men the flexibility to travel whenever works for them as long as they are at the client when they need to be. If that means they want to wake up at 4am for a flight instead of flying out the night before so they can go to something for the kids, so be it.

Heck, as an unmarried woman without kids, if I wanted to go to a concert the night before and fly at 4am the next day no one gives a toss as long as I show up to the client bright-eyed and bushy tailed.

You obviously have some misconception that associates 9-5 face time with performance. Most of the time that is not the case.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
If you are married, you need to consider how this will impact your husband. When my kids were about 8-10, I had a job that required 50% travel. After about a year, my husband raised his hand and said he felt like a single parent. He was also working a fulltime job and then had to get the kids to all of their events (baseball, Scouts, etc.) Make sure you and your husband work out those details as well so that he has support too.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 5:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by dj506
If you are married, you need to consider how this will impact your husband. When my kids were about 8-10, I had a job that required 50% travel. After about a year, my husband raised his hand and said he felt like a single parent. He was also working a fulltime job and then had to get the kids to all of their events (baseball, Scouts, etc.) Make sure you and your husband work out those details as well so that he has support too.
This... Talk to your husband, and see how it will affect both of you. You may be able to relieve some of his extra responsibilities if you carpool with others to get the kids to events and such.

If you have family in the same area, they may be able to help too.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA, *A Gold, Hyatt GP, HHonors, SPG, Priority Club
Originally Posted by ALittleSurreal
Fathers would rarely ask this question and a father would not get these responses.
So true! Don't let others sway you because you're the mother (parent, yes, but not JUST because you're a female parent!)

OP, I wouldn't deign to comment on the $ amount; only you (and your family) can judge whether the money alone makes it worth it.

My opinion is that it's a lot more complicated than just the money - what's the other impact on your partner (if you have one), your kids, yourself, your longer term career prospects. Certainly, more money helps - it can buy babysitting, housekeeping, pre-cooked meals, shuttle services, etc.

FWIW, I am considering similar options, and weighing trade-offs too (see my comments on the other thread.)
Old Mar 30, 2013, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
First, I agree with others that this question wouldn't come up if the OP was a man.

I have lived this question. I became a single mother when my daughter's father decided he didn't want to be married anymore, my child was 14 months old. I had a fabulous job, did a fair amount of travel, but could afford a full-time nanny and my mother came to visit every other month.

Push came to shove when my job was eliminated and I was offered a transfer to another state with a new job at considerable increase in pay and prestige within the company. I had to say no, because the new position would've included constant travel. I felt it would have severely impacted my daughter. So I had to quit my dream company, forgo the dream job, and move on.

I was unable to ever find a comparable job (this was in the early 1990s). Instead, I started my own consulting business. I never made a lot of money, but I was content because I could get by and my daughter benefitted from having me home most of the time. I have never regretted turning down more money and prestige for the better benefit of my child. She is now 25 and is a military wife, mother, and starting her own business.

Decisions like these have much much impact on a family. Think carefully before you act.
Old May 24, 2013, 10:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
Sometimes in life we make hard choices with few options, but this is a situation with strong choices to do or not to do.

This amount of money won't make a lot of difference in lifestyle with taxes and travel non-reimbursed travel costs are considered.

Companies are really cracking down on what they are willing to pay for in the expense catagories. I would ask many questions about this and get a clear layout of what's what. I've watched my own non-reimbursed expenses grow over the years and although they are a tax deduction, I'm still making less actual income.

Information is power.

Good luck with your ultimate decision.
Hi there, I would agree on this. Knowing where you stand can give you an idea where everything will drop off... at this time expenses are growing and no one really knows what will happen next. Just be prepared.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.