Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Beauty Tips Before/After Flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beauty Tips Before/After Flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Airpoints, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by BaliParis
Never heard of this konjac sponge, so googled. I am intrigued. A quick look at H Mart website shows sheet masks by Missha, $2.99 for the hyaluronic acid. I think I need to trek to this store.
The Konjac sponge seems to be a great idea. Apparently I learned the hard way on economy that there are no easily dispensed washcloths on United.
I think I'll go back to Sephora to hit up on some samples.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 11:29 pm

Hello

I just apply face powder and a little bit of blush-on on my cheek. I always makes sure to bring with me my facial cleanser and my favorite skin care product the Triple Action Vitamin C Serum by VoilaVe. I read online that Vitamin C is a powerful anti-oxidant that works on the collagen synthesis and fades pigmentation on the surface of the skin.I have used this serum for a couple of weeks now, and was satisfied with the results. I will continue using this and looking forward to more positive results. You can find it on Amazon. Check it out too.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 7:54 pm

Made up some dry shampoo recently and it seems to work ok if I apply it the night before. It also gives a bit of lift at the roots so hair isn't so flat.
http://wellnessmama.com/5047/diy-dry-shampoo/

Since I purchased the arrowroot and cocoa powder from bulk bins at Whole Foods and Sprouts (near the spices), it basically cost < $2 + old jar + old makeup brush. Mine smells like cocoa and looks more brown than white. Would probably just put it into a mini sifter jar for travel.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 7:16 am

Freecia- I read about the arrowroot + cocoa powder on refinery29 and was planning to try it. I'm glad to hear that it works and doesn't leave the delightful "powdered wig look" that can happen when brunettes use non tinted dry shampoo. I'm looking forward to exploring the link that you sent as well. My hair is horribly dry and washing it every day is a bad idea. But if I try to go longer than a day between washings the roots are lank and...well...gross. I have been searching for a dry shampoo that I can use that doesn't = the powdered wig or the spray on hair look.

Prncssjen- I had a thought regarding travel washcloths...at local Japanese restaurants they bring around those pre-wrapped, heated moist cloths for cleaning your hands. I wonder if you could purchase some (or if they'd just give you some)? Possibly being able to heat the package under warm water or moisten the cloth itself that way? Then toss when you're done.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 7:22 am

I have a new product in my arsenal that I thought I'd share. Clinique's Pore Refining Solutions Instant Perfector. It comes in a small tube that fits neatly in my 3-1-1 bag. It comes in different shades, goes on perfectly matte and instantly minimizes pores. This is an issue for me because I don't wear foundation but my pores can get huge. A swipe of this stuff and my pores are invisible. Even better, it looks like there's nothing on my face.

I suggest a visit to Sephora or a Clinique counter to check this product out. An associate at the Duty Free in EWR had suggested it to me and I had dismissed it because of the tint but I am so glad that she pointed it out because I never would have tried it otherwise.
http://www.sephora.com/pore-refining...?skuId=1318666
Old Feb 4, 2015, 8:59 pm

Programs: Silver on UA and Hilton, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by freecia
Are you using a travel pillow? Some of them have rather rough covers which might contribute to the hair destruction. Perhaps you should look for one with a satin-like fabric cover (or actual silk covered). You could also try a hair serum or deep conditioner the night before flying to smooth down hair cuticles so it is less likely to get tangled.

There's also some beautiful braids which are popular right now
https://www.pinterest.com/spilltojil...braids-braids/
Seconding the plaits. I always plait my hair before long-hauls. Just a simple three-strand means it's flat against my head and very comfy. And I can redo it in about two seconds flat with my never-traveled-without pocket comb.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
If you can't swear off makeup entirely, go for something light--such as a BB cream--or just an eyeliner.
Personally, I'd skip the eyeliner. Unless you've got something that's heavy-duty waterproof, on a long flight (especially if you're likely to sleep) eyeliner's a surefire recipe for raccoon eyes. I'd say to apply it towards the end of the plane ride, but you really don't want turbulence interfering when you're putting on eye makeup!
Old Feb 5, 2015, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by JR14
Personally, I'd skip the eyeliner. Unless you've got something that's heavy-duty waterproof, on a long flight (especially if you're likely to sleep) eyeliner's a surefire recipe for raccoon eyes. I'd say to apply it towards the end of the plane ride, but you really don't want turbulence interfering when you're putting on eye makeup!
I have found that a good gel liner (I prefer Stila) applied to the upper lash line will easily stay put without fading or raccoon-ing. I have even had it survive a visit to the eye dr with full pupil dilation!.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by rsqrott
I have found that a good gel liner (I prefer Stila) applied to the upper lash line will easily stay put without fading or raccoon-ing. I have even had it survive a visit to the eye dr with full pupil dilation!.
I'm impressed! Thanks for the tip, I'll have to try that
Old Feb 6, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
What is the applicator for Stila? I love liquid "pens" but have been known to have problems (user error! ;-) with fine brushes. I love liquid liner but use cheaper options (almay, palladio) because I know I like the applicator.

Though I don't worry about eyeliner on overnight flights....

I am traveling with a colleague to China next month, and I don't know her very well - we've been working on this project since last spring, but not very closely, and she's higher up than I am, so I'm thinking more carefully about my airplane (& packing ;-) routine.....
Old Feb 6, 2015, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
What is the applicator for Stila? I love liquid "pens" but have been known to have problems (user error! ;-) with fine brushes.
I use an angled (bent) eyeliner brush with my Stila Smudge Pots. For me the angle makes all of the difference in precision of application over the straight eyeliner brushes. Maybe because it allows me to get closer to the mirror?

Good luck with your upcoming trip! I went through a similar situation two summers ago where I shared accommodations with my boss for a week. While we do know each other pretty well it was basically eggshells for me while I tried to accommodate her.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I could try an angle brush - I had one brand that had a pot with a brush in the handle and though it was short and easy to hold, I just did not like the texture or something....

Clearly, it's this type I need to try, right? http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/prod...Impprod5220097

I have done trips with my boss where we live together - he and his wife rent a house at the project in Tanzania and any visitors stay there - so that was cozy, but I've also been working with him for quite a while and know his wife quite well, so that's not too awkward (well, that first morning is....). And I still wasn't actually flying to TZ with him....Fortunately my field isn't "corporate" and is somewhat easy going, but still - it's human nature (or at least, my own nature) to want to "look" good (I mean that not just physically) to co-workers & higher-ups.....
Old Feb 6, 2015, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel

Clearly, it's this type I need to try, right? http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/prod...Impprod5220097
Exactly that type! That's a nice looking brush, too.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold
I am loving some of the new sleeping masks. I recently bought the Peter Thomas Roth Rose Stem Cell Gel Mask(3 mini mask kit, still have to try the other two) and it really leaves my skin soft & with a glow the next morning. I plan to try it on an overnight flight.

I also have the Laneige water sleeping mask, it's ok but a bit sticky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.