Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Istanbul and Jerusalem Alone - How safe/dangerous is it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2012, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, Silver

I am planning a trip to these 2 cities in Jan next year. Since I am traveling on my own and I am a female, is it dangerous? I have heard several different comments so I am not sure what to expect. Anyone who's been to those cities and have personal first hands experience? Would appreciate some feedback please. Thank you.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I went to Istanbul with just another woman. We are both redheads and truly stuck out. I loved the city and had zero issues wandering all over. Just treat it like any other big city and keep your wits about you.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 6:22 pm

I just spent a few days alone in Istanbul in September and October. You may have to fend off aggressive sales types and helpful hotel staff but it should not be a problem. If all else fails, mention that you are in hurry as you must [pick one--text, phone or e-mail] your significant other. Enjoy the city.

Last edited by sushanna1; Nov 12, 2012 at 6:23 pm Reason: Typo
Old Nov 13, 2012, 3:32 pm

I was in Istanbul last year on my own (young woman, and like Redhead above I really stand out because of the hair) and never felt threatened or insulted in the slightest.

Use common sense. Pay attention to your surroundings and don't be dumb (this should apply at home as well as in any place you travel to). That dark, lonely alley at 2am... yeah, don't be there.

Take/buy a headscarf if you want to go into any of the mosques in Istanbul (this probably applies to other religious sites in Jerusalem as well). There were ladies all over the place selling some gorgeous headscarves. The Blue Mosque is gorgeous and well worth a visit, but cover your hair before you enter and take off and carry your shoes before entering the door (don't worry, there are signs). There are generally plastic bags to carry your shoes in that you simply return to the bin when you leave, but it was nice to have a simple folding tote bag that was less likely to rustle like a plastic bag. I saw many women who covered their hair with a lot of complaint and then constantly let the scarf fall off of their hair entirely. You don't have to wrap it tightly to cover your neck, ears, etc but just drape it over your hair and toss the ends back over your shoulders to keep it in place. Agree or disagree with the rules, cooperate if you're going to visit houses of worship.

Inside mosques was the only time I covered my hair in Istanbul, so please don't feel like you need to do it just walking around the city.

Wear proper clothing. Istanbul is a pretty modern city, but many people (especially women) still dress more modestly than what you might see in many other large cities. While you certainly don't need to dress like a nun, cover your chest a bit (think crew neck or a subtle V neck rather than a deep V neck), cover your shoulders and thighs. Covering up is probably NOT going to be an issue in January!

If you're nervous, you might want to stay off of the tram during busy times as those get pretty busy and you tend to get crushed in a bit. Having space that is roughly the size of a piece of printer paper is NOT conducive to feeling comfortable if you're already nervous!

Some young men flirted a bit, but nothing that ever felt rude or even slightly threatening. If you feel uncomfortable, do NOT be afraid to go into a restaurant or hotel lobby and ask for help.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 6:04 pm

Programs: BA GfL
I am in Istanbul alone all the time and have no problems. The only place you will attract any attention at all is in the heavily touristed areas of Sultanahmet, and that's attention from shopkeepers and other people who want you to buy things--but even that is pretty benign if you just look like you have a destination and know how to get there.

I travel to the city so frequently that it's been a long time since I've done the tourist thing. The rest of Istanbul is extremely uninterested in foreign tourists--it's a big, busy, cosmopolitan city that has lots of its own things going on. You will neither stand out nor be noticed at all. The nice thing about Turkey is that the people are very diverse in appearance--hair and eye colors run the gamut. I too have red hair (what is it with this thread and redheads?? ) but I have never found that to be an issue.

I've only been to Jerusalem once, but there too I was alone and there also had no problems. Israel is also a very cosmopolitan place with people of very diverse appearance, being a country of immigrants.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
I travelled to Istanbul frequently a few years ago and never had problems. I felt safer there than in a number of American cities. Compared with some places I've been, I'd say that there's a slightly higher than average "rip-off" risk in taxis etc (see note below), but that's for every visitor (not just women). People are very hospitable.

When you're paying for things, make sure that you clearly count the money into the hand of the recipient so that he knows that you know exactly what you've handed over.

There's some great shopping in Istanbul. There are some local designers and labels that have clothes and jewelry that are in tune with current fashions in the rest of Europe and North America but somehow manage to look distinctive. I liked Kanyon, an upscale shopping mall that I seem to recall was open fairly late in the evening and browsing in Beyoglu.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold
I found IST uncomfortable - I have long blonde hair/blue eyes and felt like I stuck out.

I was 20 when I was there and was sexually harassed on the tram while standing next to my mother and father!

Now at 25 I'd like to do an IST MR this fall but will only go if I can find someone to go with me.

I've traveled Asia/Europe alone and am a very confident, independent young professional living in downtown Chicago. I rarely feel unsafe but IST was one of few places that was true.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I worked in Israel for 6 months as a student. Generally, it's pretty safe, but (as anywhere) some of the guys are letches who have to be firmly told 'no'. No direct experience in Jerusalem.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:19 am

I had a couple bad experiences in Istanbul (I am a middle-aged female). No physical harm done, but I was terrified to be pursued for blocks at midnight by one apparently ardent fellow. Taking a taxi probably would have been better than trying to walk from the tram.

The other bad experience was being severely ripped off at a restaurant (and I don't intend to rehash the story, so don't ask - just never be the very last non-family person to leave a restaurant).

I also had a weird carpet shop experience (did not buy any carpet), but that was just weird and different, not scary.

I would still go back, but I had more negative experiences in Istanbul in 4 days than I've had in weeks and months of travel in many other countries around the world.

However, I had some wonderful day tours, the sights are amazing, the city is beautiful, and with a bit more care, I probably would not have had those bad experiences. But this is a place where you are going to see far fewer women in public and working than you do in western cities. I used the airport transfers and Istanbul city tours from this agency, and I highly recommend them. Of course I also went around on my own, and that's quite easy too.

http://www.backpackerstravel.net/Air...27634-mod76345

I did not have any serious problems at all in Jerusalem, but the merchants in the Old City are quite insistent and persistent (and they are in Istanbul too). I found it impossible to engage in any conversation, as the sales pitch started up ferociously very quickly. But you're not at any risk with that.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 4:54 pm

I've always felt safe in Jerusalem. Follow the lead of other females and you'll be fine.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 8:07 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Chase Presidential Plus
I have been to Istanbul twice without issue, but I wasn't alone. My sister did travel there (and around Turkey) alone without any problem. I find that the negative attention I get goes down exponentially the more conservative I dress. Consequently, in Turkey I will generally wear a full-sleeved light cotton shirt and light cotton pants. If I really don't want attention, I'll tie a white scarf around my head as well (works well in Morocco too).

Caveat: It helps that I can pass for Pakastani--I don't know if this would be as successful if I was white.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.