Wiki Posts
Search

Split decision

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2012, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA/UA
Split decision

I booked a ticket last Tuesday to meet up with my long-distance boyfriend of a year (from Budapest) in Barcelona 22-26 November. A week later, he's now admitted to meeting a girl last week and sleeping with her all weekend (I got the silent treatment for three days). Obviously, this didn't sit well with me.

So. I'm a bit torn about Barcelona. I've never been, but it's something I was planning with him. My tickets on AA are non-refundable, but I believe I can get them changed for $275. But...if I stick with Barcelona, I won't lose any money.

I've been to Tokyo by myself, and consider myself a seasoned traveler. I guess I'm wondering if I should stick with exploring Barcelona (Barc-alone-a, the humor isn't lost on me) alone or if there's a better place a single, 31-year-old, non-partying graduate student should spend these November days relaxing prior to dealing with final exams. Has anyone else explored Barcelona alone? Any specific tips besides using common sense and watching for pick-pockets? I know not to stay at a hotel on Las Ramblas, and I wouldn't venture far from my hotel at night.

Here's where I've been/what I thought:
Tokyo - love, love, love it, but can't tell my parents that I go due to their radioactive fears, been three times (one trip was secret) and know my way around
Hong Kong - wasn't in love with it, but it felt like an oven at the time
Seoul - a bit less interesting than Tokyo for me, but I knew the alphabet and the DMZ was fascinating
London - been once with an ex-bf, connected through LHR many times
Amsterdam - been once in cold/rainy October, not into the coffee shops, do have work colleagues about an hour away
Budapest - obviously off my list now, besides, I've been six or seven times in the past year
Vienna - it was ok
Paris - it was pretty, but might depress me
Various Caribbean islands - I live in Houston, they're nearby, the thought of a beach sounds relaxing, but I'm not sure what they are like in November

I just want to get away somewhere to forget.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Very sorry this happened to you, but at least he didn't get a chance to give you a disease!

I find Barcelona difficult in the winter with weather varying and the days shorter.

London can be downright miserable if you don't like short days, rain, cold and gray. But the theatre world is wonderful. I would find out what the Royal Ballet is doing, etc.

I feel reasonably safe in London much more than in Barcelona.

Have you thought about somewhere in south Florida where you would have sun, cheaper rates & things to do?

I would telephone AA and tell your story as you posted it. You'll be surprised how much help they can be in a pinch.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
Have you thought about somewhere in south Florida where you would have sun, cheaper rates & things to do?
Funny, I'm flying to Baltimore to see my mom/aunts/uncles/cousins/etc. this weekend. I just warned the majority of them not to ask me about the guy or Budapest. I brought up my ticket dilemma with them, but just remembered that they all go to Disneyworld for Thanksgiving each year. Maybe I could tag along. The family can be a handful, though. I've seen them plan for trips down to the Outer Banks. The arguments over which cereals to bring can get loud. I guess I can feel it out this weekend.

Yeah, most of Europe in November would probably be too cold for my tropical bones. I keep reading about scams and pick-pockets in Barcelona. I remember Paris being bad for scams. "Yes, I'm sure I didn't drop that 'gold' ring!" Tokyo is the complete opposite; I feel comfortable walking around there by myself.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I've been to Barcelona alone several times and at the same age as you are now. Barcelona is safe, just do be aware of pickpockets but I never had an issue. There are great Gaudi architecture to visit, amazing food and there is no issue with eating alone. The water front is nice and there is easy public transit. Why lose the money due to a loser ex? Go and enjoy!
Old Oct 9, 2012, 4:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Redhead
Why lose the money due to a loser ex? Go and enjoy!
What she said!

Cheers.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
What she said!

Cheers.
Couldnt have said it better - Chin up and enjoy yourself!!!
Old Oct 9, 2012, 5:38 pm

Fly to BCN and head to Sitges especially if it's Carnival time. Have fun!
Old Oct 9, 2012, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Redhead
Why lose the money due to a loser ex?
Oh, man, if you only knew the money I've lost over the past year because of this relationship...ok, this isn't a therapy forum.

I told my parents what happened. My mom told me to go to Ireland (Irish-ish blood through her). I told her I would freeze. She tried San Francisco, but I've done it. She mentioned the Caribbean, too.

I kind of like the idea of saving the $275 since I've had to shell out so much the past year. My parents, of course, hate the idea of me taking the trip alone because they treat me like I'm 15. Going to Tokyo alone for a long weekend to meet some Japanese friends and shop was the craziest thing I've ever done in my life. I live a pretty boring life.

Ok, so if I do Barcelona, what areas should I look at for hotels? Are there any that can be recommended? A quiet area with good metro access would work well for me.

Lord, please don't let me meet some hot Spanish guy. Wait. They speak with a lisp there, huh? I can't take that seriously, so I should be safe.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 9:38 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by emdash
Ok, so if I do Barcelona, what areas should I look at for hotels? Are there any that can be recommended? A quiet area with good metro access would work well for me.
You might want to check the Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar forum for ideas, or your preferred hotel chain forum.

Cheers.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 9:50 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Go to Barcelona. It's a great city.

There are some nice boutique hotels roughly in the area between the big square (I forget the name, with the department store Corteo Ingles, spelling?) and the diagonal, on both sides of Paseo de Gracia. This is the upscale neighborhood that has a number of Gaudi buildings, good shopping, good restaurants, etc. I feel comfortable walking around here (on main streets) alone at night, but I would not go near the Gothic Quarter alone at night, nor on the part of Ramblas below the square.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by emdash
Lord, please don't let me meet some hot Spanish guy. Wait. They speak with a lisp there, huh? I can't take that seriously, so I should be safe.
I can't help much - It has been several years and I stayed with a college friend when I visited. However, you don't need to worry about the the Spanish or the lisp... they speak Catalan in Barcelona.

(On second thought, maybe you should worry. My college friend went for a semester abroad. She met a Spanish guy & got married. Two kids later, she's still in Barcelona!)
Old Oct 10, 2012, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scoow
I can't help much - It has been several years and I stayed with a college friend when I visited. However, you don't need to worry about the the Spanish or the lisp... they speak Catalan in Barcelona.

(On second thought, maybe you should worry. My college friend went for a semester abroad. She met a Spanish guy & got married. Two kids later, she's still in Barcelona!)
I read about the use of Catalan there last week, but also read that they will use Spanish for foreigners. Maybe they can understand my Texicanish.

I'm going to let this decision stew for a bit. I want a comfortable, liberating (non-drunken....ok, maybe tipsy) experience.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 8:05 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
What about Andorra? There is direct bus service from BCN and a large spa for relaxation.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I found in Barcelona that Catalan was first choice for many but I could read a great deal of it based on my knowledge of French. My Tex-Mex Spanish was of little use.

The desk people at my hotel spoke English, but I missed a meeting because I was not aware that appointments were booked on a 24 hour clock.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
You should take your trip, it's already paid for. If you don't want to stay in Barcelona, buy a train ticket and go somewhere that interests you. Take reasonable precautions (like don't use your cellphone in a crowd or set it down on a cafe table), use a neck wallet worn cross-body under your coat, and enjoy a good time. Fie on the so-called boyfriend. Don't let his perfidy take away your plans.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.