Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Has anyone solved the toothpaste problem?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone solved the toothpaste problem?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2010, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1k, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by GloverParker
Sure, but unfortunately not in the toothpaste I'm partial to.

Just buy the least expensive travel size you can find and squeeze out (and discard) the toothpaste it came with. Then refill with the brand you prefer. Easy-peasy, and less likely to be questioned since it's in a labeled container.

Last edited by Katja; Dec 9, 2010 at 11:36 am
Old Dec 9, 2010, 11:37 am

Have you ever tried to refill a toothpaste tube? Really hard.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 1:55 pm

Try a gotoob: http://www.humangear.com/GoToob.html REI has them. They have a nice large mouth.

On a slight off topic - I prefer smaller tubes near the size of chapstick that can be found at some hotels (mostly in Asia). Perhaps I'm not using enough toothpaste to go through a 1 oz tube in a trip? It seems silly to pack that much excess toothpaste when I could use the space in my 3-1-1 for other things.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1k, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Katja
Have you ever tried to refill a toothpaste tube? Really hard.
I do it all the time. The trick is slow, steady pressure, in short increments.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 5:17 pm

I went toothpaste shopping last week. My usual Dentagard was not on sale so was 0,79 (Euro) cents for 75ml. On sale it is 0,69. There was a wide variety of brands including ones found in the US, starting at around 0,40 for 100ml sizes.

Again, for anyone travelling to Europe definitely look at stocking up due to both size and price.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Location: DCA's home, AA hubs and spokes are where you'll usually find me
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by freecia
Try a gotoob: http://www.humangear.com/GoToob.html REI has them. They have a nice large mouth.
I ordered these in the 1.25 oz size as Xmas stocking stuffers for my well traveled family -- one for me too, of course! I'll report back how well it works.

Originally Posted by freecia
On a slight off topic - I prefer smaller tubes near the size of chapstick that can be found at some hotels (mostly in Asia). Perhaps I'm not using enough toothpaste to go through a 1 oz tube in a trip? It seems silly to pack that much excess toothpaste when I could use the space in my 3-1-1 for other things.
For me, it's more about being able to "set and forget" when it comes to my 3-1-1. I have duplicates of everything I carry at home so I just leave it in the outside pocket of my bag. I agree that it takes a while to use up 1oz of toothpaste and I rather like it that way!
Old Dec 15, 2010, 3:52 am

Programs: DL-Plat, Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
I actually found some of the trial sizes of sensodyne at Wally world the other day for .99 so stocked up!

No, I do not check luggage if there is any possible way of avoiding it.... Going to warm weather locations makes it much easier. I have learned over the years that you really CAN get buy with half as much stuff as long as you are willing to do a little washing as you go. For me, I like the trade-off.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 4:19 pm

I'm reminded of a prior post somewhere on flyertalk about finding toothpaste on eBay. That post was for cinnamon flavors and at the time, I also saw sample foil packets like the dentist sometimes provides.

Here's a current auction for travel sized Sensodyne LOT http://cgi.ebay.com/Sensodyne-Toothp...item3cb3415dda

There is also a fluid compatibility list on the GoToob website: http://www.humangear.com/GoToob_Fluids_Care.html
It includes "Single Malt Scotch Whiskey [Bummer, we know!]"
Old Dec 30, 2010, 5:52 pm

Programs: DL:Diamond, HH:Diamond
plastic round pill box

Originally Posted by Georgia Peach
I squeeze the toothpaste into a small screw top plastic jar. (1, 2 or 3 oz sample size, depending on the length of the trip).
i put my crest cinnamon in a plastic round pill box from cvs.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Location: DCA's home, AA hubs and spokes are where you'll usually find me
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
As the OP I thought I'd provide an update -- the Go-Toob is the clear winner. I got a pack of four of the 1.25 oz size, gave several of them as stocking stuffers and now also have an easily fillable, easy-dispensing and perfect sized container for my Crest Pro-Health toothpaste. Thanks everyone!
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:10 am

Thanks for the update!
Old Jan 5, 2011, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just bought a regular Sensodyne Pronamel toothpaste and it is 85ml, i.e. under the maximum size at my local pharmacy - it looks bigger, but has 85ml printed very clearly on it, so should be no issue.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 11:30 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I use Tom's fluoride free toothpaste also and use one of three methods to take it with me. None have ever failed .

1. Travel size which I have found variously at Walmart, CVS and Rite Aid but pricey.
2. Full tube $3.99 from Trader Joe's stored in shoe in carry on. No screener has ever noticed as long as I put a "decoy baggie" with a few items in the bin.
3. Partially used full tube in toiletry bag in carry on. No screener looks as long as I have the "decoy baggie" - just call it hide in plain sight .
Old May 17, 2011, 7:18 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Skymiles
I'm picky about my toothpaste too and could never find a travel size of the brand I used. Came across this kit from Amazon that has a system that makes transferring product from your normal size containers into travel tubes which are air tight so I transfered my toothpaste and it works like a dream - never have to worry about using another brand or looking for a travel size, just fill up the tube.
Old May 18, 2011, 9:55 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
Sensodyne Pronamel for Children is 3.4oz on the nose! I think the adult kind is the same size but the kids flavor is less potent and we like it better. It's on sale this week a Meijer and I would suspect that it's 50 cents off at other grocery stores around the country, too. The last sale was able 2 months ago for those that stock up at sales prices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.