Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Has anyone solved the toothpaste problem?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2010, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Location: DCA's home, AA hubs and spokes are where you'll usually find me
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat

Recently, I've spent more time on the road than I'm home so I'm basically living out of my carry-on. I'm a bit particular about my toothpaste and would love to bring it along -- naturally, it only comes in 4.2 oz containers. Has anyone encountered a refillable 2 or 3 oz tube?

You ladies solved my perfume dilema so I'm hoping you can do the same for toothpaste!
Old Nov 20, 2010, 6:28 pm

I have tried different methods. -- At home I set aside approximately the last 1/4 of a standard tube for travel use. --When in Asia I have collected a number of toothbrush & toothpaste minis. -- On occasion the dentist has had travel sized tubes for clients. -- I noticed recently in the Travelsmith catalog: refillable tubes. I might consider buying some for lotion/toothpaste use.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
I squeeze the toothpaste into a small screw top plastic jar. (1, 2 or 3 oz sample size, depending on the length of the trip).
Old Nov 20, 2010, 7:42 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver
Don't they have travel sized toothpaste in the US?
Old Nov 20, 2010, 7:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
A Canadian friend sent me one of these and I really like it. It's smaller than you are looking for, but it is really really easy to fill from a large tube.

http://www.yourhealthysmile.com/products.html

You might also look at Go-Toob products. They aren't as handy to fill with toothpaste, but you can get them in a wider variety of sizes.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nufcrule3
Sure, but unfortunately not in the toothpaste I'm partial to.

At home I set aside approximately the last 1/4 of a standard tube for travel use.
This works with TSA? If so, that'll solve it -- I was always under the impression that it had to be a 3.4 oz containter and that wasn't impacted by how much was in it. Maybe if I just roll it up and make it look smaller!

Thanks Chollie for the suggestions -- I'll check out Go-Toob and see if that might work. I travel with a Sonicare toothbrush (one of my luxuries) so I'm not sure the other one will suit.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 8:30 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver
Originally Posted by GloverParker
Maybe if I just roll it up and make it look smaller!
"Larger containers that are half-full or toothpaste tubes rolled up are not allowed"
www.tsa.gov/311/311-carry-ons.shtm

I don't know if you already knew this, but there it is anyway
Old Nov 20, 2010, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by GloverParker
S

This works with TSA? If so, that'll solve it -- I was always under the impression that it had to be a 3.4 oz containter and that wasn't impacted by how much was in it. Maybe if I just roll it up and make it look smaller!
My husband keeps trying this - he's lost the last 3 tubes of toothpaste he's tried to fly with, and 2 tubes of shaving cream.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Katja
My husband keeps trying this - he's lost the last 3 tubes of toothpaste he's tried to fly with, and 2 tubes of shaving cream.
I figured -- it is the TSA after all! I'm a pretty low maintainence flyer (packing for 10 days in London and Paris in carry-on right now) but this is one of those things that really irritates me. I can't be the only one who wants to repackage my toothpaste!
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:28 pm

Yeah, I can't believe he keeps hoping he'll get away with it.

What kind of toothpaste is this? Have you contacted the manufacturer? I repackaged toothpaste for a while at the beginning, but it's really hard to work with. Then, happily, I did find my toothpaste (Tom's of Maine) in travel sized containers in some obscure place, and bought about a dozen of them.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:30 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
My toothpaste is one of my biggest worries too. I am getting ready to head to Central America for a month and NEED to take my sensodyne toothpaste. I can use another toothpaste for only a few days before my teeth start seriously hurting so this is a real issue for me. Anything else for more than a few days and my poor teeth just won't get brushed....

I used to just put it in deep inside the carry on and never once got stopped. Now, I am afraid that things are going to be looked at more closely.

I checked on Amazon for travel size and they do have a .08 ounce for $2.49 + $4.99 shipping I am going to have to go another route. I do use the go-toobs for shampoo and conditioner, perhaps I will sqeeze my toothpaste into one of those. Certainly would be less expensive than $8.50 for a .08 ounce....
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:38 pm

Any large drugstores near you? Might be worth driving around some to see if anyone carries the trial size. I'd look at Target and Walmart, too (assuming you're in the US).
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by NC_Girl
they do have a .08 ounce for $2.49 + $4.99 shipping I am going to have to go another route. I do use the go-toobs for shampoo and conditioner, perhaps I will sqeeze my toothpaste into one of those. Certainly would be less expensive than $8.50 for a .08 ounce....
Yikes. I guess I'll do the 3 oz screw on jar that someone else suggested.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Originally Posted by NC_Girl
My toothpaste is one of my biggest worries too. I am getting ready to head to Central America for a month and NEED to take my sensodyne toothpaste. I can use another toothpaste for only a few days before my teeth start seriously hurting so this is a real issue for me. Anything else for more than a few days and my poor teeth just won't get brushed....

I used to just put it in deep inside the carry on and never once got stopped. Now, I am afraid that things are going to be looked at more closely.

I checked on Amazon for travel size and they do have a .08 ounce for $2.49 + $4.99 shipping I am going to have to go another route. I do use the go-toobs for shampoo and conditioner, perhaps I will sqeeze my toothpaste into one of those. Certainly would be less expensive than $8.50 for a .08 ounce....
My hygienist is always willing to give me a couple of small tubes of the Sensodyne, and I think I've seen it in travel toiletries sections at the store. Target has a huge selection of travel sized grooming items.

Minimus has the .08 oz tubes for $1.48. Shipping starts at $4.50, free for purchases over $20.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 11:22 pm

Toothpaste in the US in general is bizarrely expensive when compared to the UK, Germany, France, Canada etc. The travel sizes seem to be even more expensive relative to size.

Someone once pointed out on another thread that our toothpase in Germany has a different measurement markings and sizing. My brand (Dentagard) comes in full size tubes which are marked as 75ml and thus 100-1-1 compliant.

I have been carrying around a packet of travel size Toms for a very long time in a 3-1-1 bag. I have no idea where I got this, as I don't use that brand (I have only seen it in the German owned Trader Joe stores in full sizes)

I realise that for most it may not be a viable option, but if you are in Europe look at the toothpaste and you may well find a larger tube which is still within the rules. OP, if you tell us the brand maybe we can tell you if it is sold in the UK and/or France.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.