Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Some questions about WestJet (any WJ employees here?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2008, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SWA EMP (the ultimate program)

I have some questions regarding WestJet, so I'll just lay them out..

Does WJ offer any sort of premium grade seating? IE first or business class?

What types of aircraft does the fleet consist of? I think I heard that it's all 737, is this accurate? But as far as 737, what types -300 -700 -500 -800?

Does WJ offer it's employees free air travel?

Does WJ utilize contract ramp services at any of it's locations either by another airline or by a flight support company?

Are any of the departments at WJ unionized, specifically the ramp?

Have you heard anything through the grape vine about starting service at MDW?

Thanks,..
Old Aug 5, 2008, 3:53 pm

I'm not a WS employee, but I'll answer anyway.

Originally Posted by num1bearsfan
No.

What types of aircraft does the fleet consist of?
Mostly 737-700s, with some -600s and -800s.

Yes.

Does WJ utilize contract ramp services at any of it's locations either by another airline or by a flight support company?
Yes. All of the ramp services except at YYC used to be contracted; I'm not sure if that's still the case.

No.

I haven't, but with the recent Southwest partner announcement, I'd be very surprised if MDW wasn't on the short-term expansion list.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SWA EMP (the ultimate program)
Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
I'm not a WS employee, but I'll answer anyway.

No.

Mostly 737-700s, with some -600s and -800s.

Yes.

Yes. All of the ramp services except at YYC used to be contracted; I'm not sure if that's still the case.

No.

I haven't, but with the recent Southwest partner announcement, I'd be very surprised if MDW wasn't on the short-term expansion list.

Thanks for answering my questions,.. I find it interesting that WJ uses contracted ramp almost exclusively. And it reinforces my belief that Southwest will be handling under the wing operations for WJ at MDW when they start the agreement.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 12:12 pm

I have some questions regarding WestJet, so I'll just lay them out..

What types of aircraft does the fleet consist of? I think I heard that it's all 737, is this accurate? But as far as 737, what types -300 -700 -500 -800?

Thanks,..
In fact, WJ doesn't offer "free" air travel to employees. There's still a small fee and taxes are tacked on top of it, but certainly the total fare paid is less than what the market fare is. And keep in mind that this is standby travel, meaning space available.

I believe YEG, YYC, and YMM are the only bases with Westjet ramp services, though I may have missed a few.

We have a dozen 737-600s but we won't be getting any more of those. Most of the new aircraft coming are 737-700s but also able to convert those to 737-800s if desired.

As a Westjet employee, I like to think of the entire cabin as first class, not economy class! Hehe! Our leg room is decent, though some really tall folks can really only feel comfortable in our bulkhead or some emergency row seating. Compared to Sunwing, which seats 189 on their 737-800s (the majority of their seats are very cramped, though you can pay for increased legroom in the first half a dozen rows/emergency exit rows), our 737-800s seats 166.

Hope this help to answer some of your questions! Cheers!
Old Aug 25, 2008, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by YYCguy
In fact, WJ doesn't offer "free" air travel to employees. There's still a small fee and taxes are tacked on top of it, but certainly the total fare paid is less than what the market fare is. And keep in mind that this is standby travel, meaning space available.
mmm off-topic, are you by any chance a WJ employee? i just had an interview with them for a customer service agent position in YOW. anyhow in the briefing document it did state this "small fee" that we have to pay for. does this fee vary from different flights or is it a set fee?
Old Aug 25, 2008, 8:21 pm

The same base price applies to all flights. The difference comes from taxes and the airport AIF.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by Hypnotize
The same base price applies to all flights. The difference comes from taxes and the airport AIF.
Oh ok. Cool, thanks. Now I just hope I'll get the job. *cross fingers*

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.