Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

free bags w/CC if booking Westjet flights on CIBC Rewards site as Delta flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

free bags w/CC if booking Westjet flights on CIBC Rewards site as Delta flights?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2024, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Sort of an odd situation I've never run into, hoping someone can help.

I'm trying to book flights in June for myself and my wife on CIBC's Rewards website, using our Aventura points (first time doing this kind of points redemption for flights). We each have enough points in our separate CIBC Rewards accounts for one round-trip flight.

In looking at flights on the CIBC site throughout last week, I saw a Westjet itinerary that went YEG-MSP-LGA and then returning LGA-MSP-YEG. I didn't book it because I needed to verify we could get time off work for the trip.

Yesterday I went to book that itinerary on the CIBC site, and to my dismay, it was gone, as if it were sold out. Today, I'm looking again, and the exact same itinerary is back...but coded as Delta flights.

My wife has the RBC Westjet credit card and thus we get 1 free checked bag when we travel on Westjet. I guess my question is--would we get the free checked bag perk if we booked these Delta flights on the CIBC site? I'm not certain of what actual metal we'd be flying, although I'm pretty sure it'd be Westjet metal between YEG and MSP and Delta metal from MSP to LGA--and would that matter? i.e. if it's a Westjet plane from YEG to MSP for the first leg, but we bought a Delta ticket on that flight, we would check in at the Delta counter, right? And thus not get the free checked bag?

Last edited by canadave; Feb 4, 2024 at 8:06 am
Old Feb 4, 2024, 1:00 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by canadave
if it's a Westjet plane from YEG to MSP for the first leg, but we bought a Delta ticket on that flight, we would check in at the Delta counter, right?
You always check in with the operating carrier, never the marketing carrier (if it's different) -- so you will check in with WestJet for your first flight. (Tickets for that WestJet-operated flight were likely sold by even more carriers than just WS and DL -- some of which wouldn't even have operations at YEG.)

As for baggage rules/prices/policies ... it is always based on the operating carrier's rules/prices for the first segment. So the baggage rules will be WestJet's for the itinerary departing from YEG, and they'll be Delta's rules for the return itinerary that starts in LGA.

As for trying to use a WS benefit on a WS-operated first segment but with a DL ticket, yes, that's complicated. I really don't know what your bag situation will be. My suggestions:

(1) Make sure that your wife's WestJet Rewards FF number is on her Delta reservation. WestJet's free bag allowance from having a credit card is always linked via FF number, so - to have any hope of getting the benefit - that FF number need to be on the reservation.

(2) Try to access the reservation via WestJet's website. The DL locator number probably won't work on the WestJet website (YMMV -- with codeshares between WestJet and a partner, it's often complicated) so first try to find the WestJet locator number for your reservation. (There are probably two locators for the same reservation; one Delta, one WestJet) If you don't have the WS locator, you should be able to find it if you access your Delta reservation with your DL locator number on DL's web-site. if you can find it, that WestJet locator number should let you access the same reservation in WestJet's system via WS' web-site.

(3) When you can access your trip via WestJet's website ... attempt to add your bags in advance of check-in. Cross your fingers. If (perhaps a big "if") you can (1) access your reservation via westjet.com and (2) you can add checked bags to your reservation there -- you should be able to see if you get your free bag.

But expect the worst -- that you won't be able to check-in or do bags online in advance, and you'll have to deal with this at the airport.

The most important thing you need to do to hopefully get your free bag is to make sure that your WS Rewards numbers are on your Delta tickets.
Da_Master likes this.

Last edited by FlyerJ; Feb 4, 2024 at 1:22 pm
Old Feb 4, 2024, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
First thing I'd do is check the RBC terms and conditions for the bag benefit, which say
Valid on itineraries marketed and wholly operated by WestJet; not valid when travelling with WestJet's code-share or interline partners.
This implies that for this itinerary, you would not get the bag fee waiver no matter how this ticket was purchased, even if direct from WestJet, since the itinerary is not wholly operated by WestJet.

Originally Posted by FlyerJ
As for baggage rules/prices/policies ... it is always based on the operating carrier's rules/prices for the first segment. So the baggage rules will be WestJet's for the itinerary departing from YEG, and they'll be Delta's rules for the return itinerary that starts in LGA.
This isn't strictly true: the baggage allowance listed on the ticket must be obeyed as a minimum no matter who you check in, and airlines are better now than they were in the past about putting various fee waivers onto the ticket rather than just assessing them at check-in. However, what is true is that waivers in addition to the ticketed baggage allowance, which is typically what credit card-based bag fee waivers are (although I don't know specifically for WestJet) nearly always depend entirely on the operating carrier of the first segment — but WestJet/RBC's terms appear stricter than that. Therefore, you might get lucky when checking in with WestJet; I don't know how WestJet's computers actually handle it. As noted, be sure the RBC credit card holder's WestJet frequent flyer number is in the reservation to have a chance for the direction that starts on WestJet metal.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by ashill
This isn't strictly true: the baggage allowance listed on the ticket must be obeyed as a minimum no matter who you check in, and airlines are better now than they were in the past about putting various fee waivers onto the ticket rather than just assessing them at check-in. However, what is true is that waivers in addition to the ticketed baggage allowance, which is typically what credit card-based bag fee waivers are (although I don't know specifically for WestJet) nearly always depend entirely on the operating carrier of the first segment — but WestJet/RBC's terms appear stricter than that. Therefore, you might get lucky when checking in with WestJet; I don't know how WestJet's computers actually handle it. As noted, be sure the RBC credit card holder's WestJet frequent flyer number is in the reservation to have a chance for the direction that starts on WestJet metal.
Question. Got a WS award ticket issued by DL. Dl ticket says 1 free bag. How does one make sure WS honours this (assuming WS has to?)
Old Feb 5, 2024, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Question. Got a WS award ticket issued by DL. Dl ticket says 1 free bag. How does one make sure WS honours this (assuming WS has to?)
US DOT regulations say the ticketed baggage allowance has to be respected for itineraries to, from, or through the US. Canada has similar rules:
As per the new approach, for international itineraries involving multiple air carriers, to and from Canada, purchased on a single ticket issued on or after April 1, 2015, carriers should:
  1. apply a single set of baggage rules to the entire itinerary; and
  2. disclose the applicable rules on the itinerary receipt or e-ticket.
In both cases, the baggage allowance printed on the eticket must apply to all carriers on the ticket. I think that's normally implemented fairly seamlessly these days, though I've never flown WestJet on a ticket not purchased through WestJet so I have no direct experience. Generic advice: bring a printout of the eticket receipt that states the baggage allowance in case there's any trouble.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by ashill
US DOT regulations say the ticketed baggage allowance has to be respected for itineraries to, from, or through the US. Canada has similar rules:

In both cases, the baggage allowance printed on the eticket must apply to all carriers on the ticket. I think that's normally implemented fairly seamlessly these days, though I've never flown WestJet on a ticket not purchased through WestJet so I have no direct experience. Generic advice: bring a printout of the eticket receipt that states the baggage allowance in case there's any trouble.
Thanks. Have the DL itinerary printed on file and will use it. I've never flown WS on an ticket issued by another airline too. Going into WS website using its own PNR (had to extract teeth for it) indicates no bags.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 11:30 am

Recently flew Westjet to/from the US. All flights operated by Westjet, but ticket booked with Delta with all flights as Delta codeshares as they were significantly cheaper than buying with Westjet. Called ahead of time and Westjet couldn't tell me if I would benefit from the free checked bag benefit.

Followed advice further up and made sure the booking had my Westjet Rewards number attached, instead of Delta. Not sure if this was the trick, but got my free checked bags both ways. On way to the US, online check-in allowed me to add checked bags at no cost. On way back, I couldn't do online check-in but airport agent asked to see my credit card and didn't charge me.
ashill and Da_Master like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.