FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - free bags w/CC if booking Westjet flights on CIBC Rewards site as Delta flights?
Old Feb 4, 2024, 7:46 am
canadave

free bags w/CC if booking Westjet flights on CIBC Rewards site as Delta flights?

Sort of an odd situation I've never run into, hoping someone can help.

I'm trying to book flights in June for myself and my wife on CIBC's Rewards website, using our Aventura points (first time doing this kind of points redemption for flights). We each have enough points in our separate CIBC Rewards accounts for one round-trip flight.

In looking at flights on the CIBC site throughout last week, I saw a Westjet itinerary that went YEG-MSP-LGA and then returning LGA-MSP-YEG. I didn't book it because I needed to verify we could get time off work for the trip.

Yesterday I went to book that itinerary on the CIBC site, and to my dismay, it was gone, as if it were sold out. Today, I'm looking again, and the exact same itinerary is back...but coded as Delta flights.

My wife has the RBC Westjet credit card and thus we get 1 free checked bag when we travel on Westjet. I guess my question is--would we get the free checked bag perk if we booked these Delta flights on the CIBC site? I'm not certain of what actual metal we'd be flying, although I'm pretty sure it'd be Westjet metal between YEG and MSP and Delta metal from MSP to LGA--and would that matter? i.e. if it's a Westjet plane from YEG to MSP for the first leg, but we bought a Delta ticket on that flight, we would check in at the Delta counter, right? And thus not get the free checked bag?

Last edited by canadave; Feb 4, 2024 at 8:06 am