Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ski carriage

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2022, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Ski carriage

Quick question, which I cant find on the Westjet website (or the virtual chat).

Im flying econoflex (LHR-YLW via YYC), have one bag included. I know this can be a ski bag, but my question is: can I check a boot bag in as well within my allowance, or will they charge that as a separate item?
Old Dec 7, 2022, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Monium
Quick question, which I can’t find on the Westjet website (or the virtual chat…).

I’m flying econoflex (LHR-YLW via YYC), have one bag included. I know this can be a ski bag, but my question is: can I check a boot bag in as well within my allowance, or will they charge that as a separate item?
From https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/baggage/sports:

"Because suitcases aren't the only things you may want to pack, it's best to be aware that sporting equipment will count as a piece of checked baggage. Below you'll find what you need to know about bringing everything from surfboards to ski boots to soccer balls.
Sporting equipment overview
  • Sporting equipment is subject to all applicable baggage fees. Fees are combinable where applicable - if an item is overweight, oversized and a second item, all three fees apply. A handling fee of $50 CAD will be charged on firearms and select sporting equipment.
  • WestJet accepts sporting equipment that meets the packing requirements, and weight and size restrictions for travel on domestic, international and chartered flights.
  • With the exception of vaulting poles, the maximum length accepted is 3 m (118 in.) for any sports item."
Specifically for ski equipment:

"One set is accepted per guest including helmet, skis, boots and poles; or a snowboard and boots; or a pair of water skis.
  • All items must be packed for shipping to prevent damage.
  • Ski wax must be non-flammable. Butane or torches used to remove ski wax are not accepted.
  • Multiple skis can be packed together in a ski bag if they fit.
  • The oversize bag fee will be waived.
  • Applicable extra piece and overweight fees apply."
Monium likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aerobod
From https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/baggage/sports:

"Because suitcases aren't the only things you may want to pack, it's best to be aware that sporting equipment will count as a piece of checked baggage. Below you'll find what you need to know about bringing everything from surfboards to ski boots to soccer balls.
Sporting equipment overview
  • Sporting equipment is subject to all applicable baggage fees. Fees are combinable where applicable - if an item is overweight, oversized and a second item, all three fees apply. A handling fee of $50 CAD will be charged on firearms and select sporting equipment.
  • WestJet accepts sporting equipment that meets the packing requirements, and weight and size restrictions for travel on domestic, international and chartered flights.
  • With the exception of vaulting poles, the maximum length accepted is 3 m (118 in.) for any sports item."
Specifically for ski equipment:

"One set is accepted per guest including helmet, skis, boots and poles; or a snowboard and boots; or a pair of water skis.
  • All items must be packed for shipping to prevent damage.
  • Ski wax must be non-flammable. Butane or torches used to remove ski wax are not accepted.
  • Multiple skis can be packed together in a ski bag if they fit.
  • The oversize bag fee will be waived.
  • Applicable extra piece and overweight fees apply."
So is your reading of this that as one set
includes skis + boots, a separate boot bag would be ok? That was the bit I wasnt sure about, having read the passage multiple times.

(it is also possible Im overthinking it, I admit!)
Old Dec 7, 2022, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Monium
So is your reading of this that as one set
includes skis + boots, a separate boot bag would be ok? That was the bit I wasnt sure about, having read the passage multiple times.

(it is also possible Im overthinking it, I admit!)
If in doubt, you may need to put the boots in the ski bag if they can fit, or wrap the boots to the ski bag using the polythene they have at the bag drop, but my reading is that they would be taken as a single baggage item.
Monium likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 6:00 am
Original Poster

The answer is: yes, boot bag can be checked separately, as part of the ski carriage even if youve only paid for one checked item. Check in assistant didnt even blink.
aerobod and V1213 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.