Wiki Posts
Search

Westjet Gold Benefits on Delta…

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2022, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K
Westjet Gold Benefits on Delta…

I took a flight with DL (006 stock) and added my Westjet rewards ID to the ticket. My Westjet gold status did not appear and I was asked to pay for baggage/did not get priority boarding or lounge access. Do Westjet Gold members get anything on DL or am I misreading something….

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/who-we...elta-air-lines
Old Nov 20, 2022, 8:40 am

Programs: skyteam
Originally Posted by C-FMWQ
I took a flight with DL (006 stock) and added my Westjet rewards ID to the ticket. My Westjet gold status did not appear and I was asked to pay for baggage/did not get priority boarding or lounge access. Do Westjet Gold members get anything on DL or am I misreading something….

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/who-we...elta-air-lines
As long as your number is on your booking prior to travel, Delta’s systems will recognize your WestJet Rewards tier and give you access to the benefits, as applicable.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by cirrusdragoon
As long as your number is on your booking prior to travel, Delta’s systems will recognize your WestJet Rewards tier and give you access to the benefits, as applicable.
​​​​​​​Sounds like a great system
Old Nov 20, 2022, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by djoseph
Sounds like a great system
It seems pretty reasonable to me , at time of booking I always input my loyalty number.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 5:16 pm

I booked a flight on Delta. Did exactly as the website says and had the same issue. I called into Delta, they have never heard of the benefits as stated.. Went around and around with them, WestJet was little help. In the end the Delta person allowed me to select a "preferred seat" on an exception which was really what I needed, but was never able to get things to work as advertised.
C-FMWQ likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

I added my Westjet Rewards ID when the booking was made and it showed up on my boarding pass. Unfortunately DL agents did not see my gold status and the agents in YWG were dismissive of there being any benefits.

It seems pretty reasonable to me , at time of booking I always input my loyalty number.
I don't see a system promising benefits that are never received as reasonable. Have you had success getting Delta to recognize your status?

Originally Posted by Soccerra
I booked a flight on Delta. Did exactly as the website says and had the same issue. I called into Delta, they have never heard of the benefits as stated.. Went around and around with them, WestJet was little help. In the end the Delta person allowed me to select a "preferred seat" on an exception which was really what I needed, but was never able to get things to work as advertised.
I had a very similar experience. I called DL 5 times the night before my flight and heard everything from there were no benefits to I telling me I have to submit a status match. 2 Agents told me I should get the benefits but only the agents at the airport would be able to authorize them. Needless to say, I was quite annoyed when the agent asked me for payment for my checked bags today. Interestingly, I was able to use the SkyClub on my layover in MSP. The lounge dragon knew WestJet gold members had access to SkyClubs and was happy to let me in after showing him my status on the WestJet app (even though my WestJet Rewards ID was showing up on my boarding pass). I mentioned the trouble I was having and the lounge dragon said he'd look it up. He ended up finding me later on and said that I was indeed correct and that I should email DL the receipt and screenshot of the WestJet site showing the benefits. I'll try that and report what happens, though I'm not hopeful DL will admit that I should even get anything.

Last edited by C-FMWQ; Nov 20, 2022 at 9:00 pm
Old Nov 20, 2022, 11:40 pm

I added my Westjet Rewards ID when the booking was made and it showed up on my boarding pass. Unfortunately DL agents did not see my gold status and the agents in YWG were dismissive of there being any benefits.

I don't see a system promising benefits that are never received as reasonable. Have you had success getting Delta to recognize your status?

I had a very similar experience. I called DL 5 times the night before my flight and heard everything from there were no benefits to I telling me I have to submit a status match. 2 Agents told me I should get the benefits but only the agents at the airport would be able to authorize them. Needless to say, I was quite annoyed when the agent asked me for payment for my checked bags today. Interestingly, I was able to use the SkyClub on my layover in MSP. The lounge dragon knew WestJet gold members had access to SkyClubs and was happy to let me in after showing him my status on the WestJet app (even though my WestJet Rewards ID was showing up on my boarding pass). I mentioned the trouble I was having and the lounge dragon said he'd look it up. He ended up finding me later on and said that I was indeed correct and that I should email DL the receipt and screenshot of the WestJet site showing the benefits. I'll try that and report what happens, though I'm not hopeful DL will admit that I should even get anything.
Yes I have never experienced a problem. I am not sure what happened with you, you should definitely follow up with a correspondence with Westjet rewards.

How incredibly annoying that must be for you to have these reoccurring mishaps.

If I were you, perhaps a direct correspondence with the Mr Karl Schuster , the Executive Vice President Chief Loyalty Officer at Westjet is in order, I have sent letters to him directly before, here is the company email : [email protected]

Also perhaps show the Delta agents this on your next journey:

Member benefits

WestJet Rewards members with Platinum, Gold or Silver status can use many top-tier member benefits on Delta such as preferred seating, access to priority services like priority boarding and check-in, complimentary baggage allowance . https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/who-we...elta-air-lines
C-FMWQ likes this.

Last edited by cirrusdragoon; Nov 20, 2022 at 11:47 pm
Old Nov 21, 2022, 2:17 am

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
I know this is less than ideal but an ex of mine has top status with WestJet and frequently flies Delta. What she does is as follows:

1. Has printed a laminated copy of the Delta benefits for WestJet fliers.
2. Has a physical laminated copy of her WestJet status card.
3. Has a printed email from both WestJet and Delta customer services confirming the reciprocal benefits.

She also has digital copies of each.

While she still has frequent issues with these bookings, she swears she is able to resolve within a matter of minutes each time.

Should she (or you) have to do this? Absolutely not but this little bit of prep has saved her major headaches.

Good luck!
unclepants and C-FMWQ like this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 9:23 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Unfortunately DL agents did not see my gold status and the agents in YWG were dismissive of there being any benefits.
If your WestJet Gold/Platinum number was entered, your boarding pass should have shown "Sky Priority" ... giving you access to the Sky Priority lanes at check-in and boarding, and early boarding. Everything should be automated ... nothing is really left to agent discretion (or even requires agents to understand the program) anymore. Nobody should even need to 'see' your status in order to give you access to the benefits. Did this not happen?

I called DL 5 times the night before my flight and heard everything from there were no benefits to I telling me I have to submit a status match.
Delta won't status match WestJet (claiming they won't match status for a Delta 'partner' airline). In fact, I don't know of any airline that will match a WestJet status...
Old Nov 21, 2022, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerJ
If your WestJet Gold/Platinum number was entered, your boarding pass should have shown "Sky Priority" ... giving you access to the Sky Priority lanes at check-in and boarding, and early boarding. Everything should be automated ... nothing is really left to agent discretion (or even requires agents to understand the program) anymore. Nobody should even need to 'see' your status in order to give you access to the benefits. Did this not happen?
Nope, nothing showed up. I really realized something was up when I didn't get Sky Priority.

Originally Posted by FlyerJ
Delta won't status match WestJet (claiming they won't match status for a Delta 'partner' airline). In fact, I don't know of any airline that will match a WestJet status...
Ya, I was really amused when the agent told me that's how I get benefits on Delta .
FlyerJ likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Yes I have never experienced a problem. I am not sure what happened with you, you should definitely follow up with a correspondence with Westjet rewards.

How incredibly annoying that must be for you to have these reoccurring mishaps.

If I were you, perhaps a direct correspondence with the Mr Karl Schuster , the Executive Vice President Chief Loyalty Officer at Westjet is in order, I have sent letters to him directly before, here is the company email : [email protected]

Also perhaps show the Delta agents this on your next journey:

Member benefits

WestJet Rewards members with Platinum, Gold or Silver status can use many top-tier member benefits on Delta such as preferred seating, access to priority services like priority boarding and check-in, complimentary baggage allowance . https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/who-we...elta-air-lines
Good to know and thank you for the email! I'll be sure to follow up with that. I'm not sure if it was just the YWG agents but they saw the WestJet site and stopped listening to me.

Originally Posted by wutlol
I know this is less than ideal but an ex of mine has top status with WestJet and frequently flies Delta. What she does is as follows:

1. Has printed a laminated copy of the Delta benefits for WestJet fliers.
2. Has a physical laminated copy of her WestJet status card.
3. Has a printed email from both WestJet and Delta customer services confirming the reciprocal benefits.

She also has digital copies of each.

While she still has frequent issues with these bookings, she swears she is able to resolve within a matter of minutes each time.

Should she (or you) have to do this? Absolutely not but this little bit of prep has saved her major headaches.

Good luck!
Good to know! Quite unfortunate that you have to "prove" these benefits...
cirrusdragoon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.