Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Any Chance of the AMS Route Coming Back?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any Chance of the AMS Route Coming Back?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2022, 8:39 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
What Westjet brings to the party on that route is premium seating. On KL it's either slumming it in Y or paying full pop to ride in J, the "happy medium" in between just doesn't exist. The closest KL comes is a small section of Y seats with an added 3 inches of pitch in some (now all?) aircraft ... but its the same 3-across Y seat, it's not at all like Westjet's premium product.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 8:40 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by Frequentlander
Perhaps people from Northern Europe want to visit western Canada to ski.......which would make it something other than the off season.
When they have Switzerland only an hour away? Are you kidding me?
Old Sep 14, 2022, 1:25 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, WestJet Plat
Originally Posted by Symmetre
What Westjet brings to the party on that route is premium seating. On KL it's either slumming it in Y or paying full pop to ride in J, the "happy medium" in between just doesn't exist. The closest KL comes is a small section of Y seats with an added 3 inches of pitch in some (now all?) aircraft ... but its the same 3-across Y seat, it's not at all like Westjet's premium product.
KLM's "Premium Comfort" class (with its poorly-located USB sockets) has started its roll-out - it's only a matter of time until it appears on the AMS-YYC route.

When WestJet flew to Amsterdam during COVID, it seemed to use it as a single European hub that served a relatively high number (for WestJet) of destinations across the continent, effectively consolidating all European traffic onto a single route. These were touted as an expanded codesharing agreement, that notably included UK destinations that WestJet otherwise served directly. Using a similar strategy would help to fill the planes during the quieter winter season, with less point-to-point traffic.

However, this time around not all of these codeshares appear to be offered. I'm assuming this is because the AMS flights have been added quickly, and that codeshare connections will follow soon. Talk at this week's WestJet Vacations trade show indicates that connections may be available from next week:
Plus, with partner KLM, WestJet passengers will be able to travel beyond Amsterdam via easy connections. More information is expected within the next week.
Adam Smith and Da_Master like this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 6:47 pm

Programs: skyteam
Originally Posted by V1213
KLM's "Premium Comfort" class (with its poorly-located USB sockets) has started its roll-out - it's only a matter of time until it appears on the AMS-YYC route.

When WestJet flew to Amsterdam during COVID, it seemed to use it as a single European hub that served a relatively high number (for WestJet) of destinations across the continent, effectively consolidating all European traffic onto a single route. These were touted as an expanded codesharing agreement, that notably included UK destinations that WestJet otherwise served directly. Using a similar strategy would help to fill the planes during the quieter winter season, with less point-to-point traffic.

However, this time around not all of these codeshares appear to be offered. I'm assuming this is because the AMS flights have been added quickly, and that codeshare connections will follow soon. Talk at this week's WestJet Vacations trade show indicates that connections may be available from next week:
It appears WS has indeed secured year round permanent slots at AMS . https://www.travelweek.ca/news/new-a...el-trade-expo/

1. The return of Amsterdam. WestJet has just received airport slots to return to Amsterdam, where it previously offered seasonal service, on a year-round basis. Plus, with partner KLM, WestJet passengers will be able to travel beyond Amsterdam via easy connections. More information is expected within the next week.
Da_Master and V1213 like this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Any updates on codeshare flights to other European destinations?
Old Oct 12, 2022, 3:05 pm

When WS flew to AMS last year, anyone remember if there is a WS counter airside? Is ground handling done by KLM agents?
nabeckman likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by jashah
Any updates on codeshare flights to other European destinations?
Looks they finally got loaded over the weekend.

FRA, LCY, MAN, VIE, GLA, EDI, LYS, TLS, BER, MUC, MXP, VCE, GVA to name just a few that are now bookable on WS website.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 10:45 pm

More details here.

https://canadianaviationnews.wordpre...a-amsterdam-2/
V1213 likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 8:41 am

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
To go with this...

Calgary, Vancouver or Edmonton to Amsterdam, Netherlands - Starting at $468 CAD roundtrip w/ Westjet

https://app.nextdeparture.ca/flight/...9-721bb350f6b0

Ron.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 1:16 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory17
Looks they finally got loaded over the weekend.

FRA, LCY, MAN, VIE, GLA, EDI, LYS, TLS, BER, MUC, MXP, VCE, GVA to name just a few that are now bookable on WS website.
May be an artifact of my specific search but adding the beyond AMS destinations (eg VCE) does very bad things to the price.

sample dates:
Jan 27 to Feb 7 Business class-
  • WCanada to AMS = approx CAD $1500 one way
  • WCanada to VCE = approx CAD $5200 one way
For reference: was able to book Canada to Italy roundtrip in refundable (!) business on same dates for approx CAD$3400 via Delta (KLM and Delta metal) a couple of weeks ago
Old Oct 28, 2022, 3:57 pm

Is Westjet not partnered with any lounge in AMS? I'm flying business back next month.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 6:04 pm

Programs: skyteam
Originally Posted by hoboeater
Is Westjet not partnered with any lounge in AMS? I'm flying business back next month.
Unfortunately no lounge in AMS
Old Dec 4, 2022, 1:36 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
What is the collective wisdom on DIY connections at AMS? I need to go to Paris in March and would usually self-connect at LGW.

WS20 arrives at 12:40 and AF1741 departs to CDG at 14:50.

I'm not really worried about the return trip since CDG-AMS will be intra-Schengen.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 5:59 am

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Error 601
What is the collective wisdom on DIY connections at AMS? I need to go to Paris in March and would usually self-connect at LGW.

WS20 arrives at 12:40 and AF1741 departs to CDG at 14:50.

I'm not really worried about the return trip since CDG-AMS will be intra-Schengen.
I have found this KLM thread to be useful- not just identifying 'day of' issues but also tips like- when are the school holidays when traffic increases; state of the Dutch passport inspection service etc
I presume a through ticket to CDG is not an option to avoid the concern re 'DIY' connections?
Old Dec 4, 2022, 4:58 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
CDG features prominently on the list of inexplicable codeshare omissions between WestJet and their partners.

YYC-TLS via AMS is bookable - YYC-CDG via AMS is not.

I'm something between unemployed and retired, I have nothing but time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.