Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet strategy shift [was B787 Order Cancellation]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet strategy shift [was B787 Order Cancellation]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2023, 6:56 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
So is this more evidence that they’re in deep trouble and scrambling to get out?
Old Jan 30, 2023, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Sopwith
So is this more evidence that they’re in deep trouble and scrambling to get out?
No. I think it’s more trying to take complexity out of the operation and focusing on routes that make the most profit. After 2.5 years of staggering losses, there’s not much appetite chasing market share that doesn’t add much to the bottom line.
aerobod likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by deskcaptain
No. I think it’s more trying to take complexity out of the operation and focusing on routes that make the most profit. After 2.5 years of staggering losses, there’s not much appetite chasing market share that doesn’t add much to the bottom line.
From CBC:

A spokesperson for WestJet said the suspensions are due to "compounding factors such as staffing levels across the industry, inflation and deploying our aircraft to meet the demand of our guests while enabling us to re-position our investments to better serve Canadians for years to come."
Sounds more like scrambling than reducing complexity to me. They got themselves in over their heads and now they have to reset.

But however they spin it, I'm not feeling confident about booking anything on WS more than a month out.

Last edited by Sopwith; Jan 30, 2023 at 8:30 pm Reason: More editorializing.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I wonder how RBC feels about their relationship with a westjet retrenched in the west? Surely they can’t be happy as many central Canadian customers would have a hard time seeing the benefit of the Westjet credit cards. I find AC can take me to the world and Westjet is able to take me to Regina 😂
respectable_man likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 9:39 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
........................ and Westjet is able to take me to Regina 😂
..........with a change in Calgary.
The Ivory Actuary likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 10:00 pm

From CBC:
"A spokesperson for WestJet said the suspensions are due to "compounding factors such as staffing levels across the industry,.... deploying our aircraft to meet the demand of our guests while enabling us to re-position our investments to better serve Canadians for years to come."
How does "deploying aircraft" to a different market change the staffing needs?
Unless WS is parking planes, in the simplest sense, they will need the same number of employees.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 10:28 pm

From CBC:

Sounds more like scrambling than reducing complexity to me. They got themselves in over their heads and now they have to reset.

But however they spin it, I'm not feeling confident about booking anything on WS more than a month out.
When the Atlantic route cancellation announcements came out last year, you could no longer book YHZ-Europe flights for S23, so this announcement is not new news. It was just quietly (conveniently?) brushed under the carpet between then and now.
aerobod likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by tracon
How does "deploying aircraft" to a different market change the staffing needs?
Unless WS is parking planes, in the simplest sense, they will need the same number of employees.
These YHZ- Europe flights were crewed with YYZ based crews. I believe these pairings were not the most efficient use of crews so that may be what they’re getting at with the staffing issues.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 11:31 pm

WestJet has cancelled its flights between three Canadian cities and Europe for this summer.

WestJet said tickets for the summer 2023 European routes from Halifax were never made available for sale.
​​​​​​​If this is the case, why would they issue a press release instead of just quietly deleting the flights from their schedule?
Old Jan 31, 2023, 8:53 am

Programs: AC35K, WS Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriot Gold
WestJet is also expanding to the Middle East (Dubai) and Asia (Japan) later this year but through Calgary. Not sure what the market share is for Western Canadians traveling to those locations, we could see more cancellation announcements next year.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by shanediesel
WestJet is also expanding to the Middle East (Dubai) and Asia (Japan) later this year but through Calgary. Not sure what the market share is for Western Canadians traveling to those locations, we could see more cancellation announcements next year.
Dubai? When was that announced?
Old Jan 31, 2023, 9:14 am
Suspended

Programs: skyteam
Originally Posted by shanediesel
No Dubai. That has not been announced. Narita yes.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 9:24 am

Programs: AC35K, WS Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriot Gold
Sorry I stand corrected. WestJet was awarded slots to Dubai but have not committed to any flights.
cirrusdragoon likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 5:54 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, WestJet Plat
​​​​​​​If this is the case, why would they issue a press release instead of just quietly deleting the flights from their schedule?
Good question.

They were never loaded into the schedule for 2023, although the YYZ and YVR flights were, but deleted about a month or so ago. I'm assuming they've had a significant number of enquiries, or perhaps some political pushing in Nova Scotia, leading to this announcement. If nothing else, it gets the "bad news" out of the way so that the formal Summer 2023 announcement can be all "good news".
Old Jan 31, 2023, 5:59 pm

They won’t be able to make YYC-DXB work with a full load in most weather conditions while the current 1,000km or so additional flight distance due to the Russia-Ukraine diversions are in place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.