Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet strategy shift [was B787 Order Cancellation]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet strategy shift [was B787 Order Cancellation]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2022, 8:44 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, WestJet Plat
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
There's no mention in here at all of serving business travellers - absolutely nothing - and barely anything about frequent fliers. That's mind-blowing. Imagine a strategy document from Air Canada or any of the U.S. majors with a sole focus on leisure travel but said not a single word about business travel. It just wouldn't happen.

Once this strategy is fully in play, will WS even be an option for my business travel? Or am I going to be back on AC (or UA or DL) for my work travel? (But WestJet hopes I'll still stick with them for a couple of vacations a year?).
Originally Posted by Frequentlander
Assuming their western focus includes business travellers that are based in the west, how are those business travellers supposed to connect to places in the east if WS reduce service there?

This announcement condenses down to "Business flyers, your future involves a lot more flying on AC".........The Horror!
If they decide to go all-in on this strategy that was announced today, there are a lot of things in today’s WestJet that probably won’t be a fit in the “new” leisure version of WestJet:
- Elevation Lounges
- Delta partnership, reciprocal benefits, the JV
- a hub-and-spoke model driving connections at YYC,
- Y class legroom, other than exit rows,
- and, heck, even having a loyalty program at all.
There is a lot of fearing for the worst going on and we haven't even seen the first schedule change or concrete announcement yet.

For the record, the announcement does mention keeping premium offerings and business travellers in the west...
The airline will maintain its current premium offerings, with a focus on strengthening its premium leisure segment and corporate premium in the West.
...and that their eastern focus will be about providing connections from the west, so it's not like those routes are necessarily going anywhere...
...as a national airline we will maintain a significant presence in the Eastern provinces, primarily through direct connections to our Western cities...
...as well as labelling Loyalty as critical and something be scaled.
WestJet will also continue to significantly scale other areas of the business that remain critical, namely WestJet Cargo, Loyalty, WestJet Vacations and Swoop...
While I have my concerns over aspects of the announcement and what it's not saying, I'm going to wait and see what happens before passing judgment.

I'd guess that some things will start pivoting soonish for the period after October/November, as that's when the Summer schedule basically ends. Hopefully those changes flow through to the long-horizon Summer 2023 schedules, so we have a better view than what's in the system now.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 8:49 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by V1213
There is a lot of fearing for the worst going on and we haven't even seen the first schedule change or concrete announcement yet.
Maybe so, and I really hope you’re right.

But there’s no question that the announcement indicated a major shift to being a leisure carrier focused on leisure customers. That’s not what they are today, and such a shift has to have consequences on non-leisure parts of the business.

Sure, he said they’ll still keep their premium on-board product. But there was nothing mentioned about trying to gain or grow business fliers or premium customers. Nothing about the importance of that segment. Just essentially saying “we’re not getting rid of it”. Not expanding on it, not making it better or more appealing, not using it as a competitive advantage. Just “we’ll keep it”.

And no mention at all of two of WestJet’s biggest strategic initiatives under the old boss: lounges and Delta. Maybe I’m reading too much into it, but the silence on those two points in a major strategy announcement seems to say a lot.

It was a just a whole lot of “sun and leisure”. You could easily replace the name WestJet in today’s announcement with Eurowings or Transat, and it would still make sense. But if you replaced WestJet with “Delta” or “United” or “Air Canada”, it would read like fiction.

Last edited by FlyerJ; Jun 16, 2022 at 9:03 pm
Old Jun 16, 2022, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
Why? Montreal has always been an outstation for WestJet. So, they're not going to funnel passengers thru anything other than their hubs. YUL has never been that.

Why do we have to connect passengers in YUL or YYZ to be a "national carrier"? That makes no sense. In fact, I do everything I can to not connect in YUL or YYZ.

I think you might be confusing "what needs to be true to be a national carrier" with "do everything Air Canada does".
Not confused at all. The majority of Canadians live in Ontario and Quebec. If you’re not making it work there, you’re not truly a national carrier. The west is great—that’s why I live here (and previously in AB for many years)—but it’s a straight up numbers game. WS seems to be choosing a growth path that means giving up on the triangle. AC is in there not because they’re AC but because it’s still the population centre of Canada and that’s where you need to be. I’d much prefer it if they turned YQR into their main hub

Or maybe you think a strategy built on funnelling passengers from YYZ to YYC to connect them to Europe is viable for any airline?
Old Jun 16, 2022, 8:57 pm

I think this is all about Onex cutting the unprofitable parts and emphasizing the money making parts for a future sale.

They have always said that they don't want to run an airline, but rather make a quick (maybe no so quick given Covid) buck from it.
Speedbird84, SoroSuub1 and V1213 like this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by newfbc
Westjet.. the little airline that.. couldn't!

Air Canada is just too big! It's impossible for Westjet to catch up... they finally realize that. They have done nothing to attract the lucrative business traveler. Air Canada has a huge fleet of Signature Class aircraft with routes across Canada and around the world. Westjet has a few Dreamliners doing seasonal runs to popular leisure destinations.

The USA with 10x the population of Canada has 3 major international carriers - Delta, United and American Airlines (fine, 4 if you count Southwest) ... how could anyone think Canada could support 2?

Ron. (yeah. I'm bitter ever since Westjet gutted the Rewards program :/)
It’s very sad, really, if you’re right as we don’t need AC dominating certain segments even more than they do.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 9:51 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by Upside Down Pyramid
I think this is all about Onex cutting the unprofitable parts and emphasizing the money making parts for a future sale.

They have always said that they don't want to run an airline, but rather make a quick (maybe no so quick given Covid) buck from it.
I'm pretty sure Gerry Schwartz very, very much wants to run an airline.
newfbc and CorSter like this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 9:52 pm

7 787s is a tiny fleet in the scheme of things.
Could end up being more of a headache than they're worth.

If business travel is no longer the focus, the LHR slots may leave too?
Old Jun 16, 2022, 9:59 pm

I'm pretty sure Gerry Schwartz very, very much wants to run an airline.
Maybe 25 years ago, but at 80 it's not a long term proposition.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 10:00 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by arf04
Not confused at all. The majority of Canadians live in Ontario and Quebec. If you’re not making it work there, you’re not truly a national carrier. The west is great—that’s why I live here (and previously in AB for many years)—but it’s a straight up numbers game.
I think you have that half right. A lot of Canadians live in Ontario, with about 38% of Canada's population. Alberta and BC together have more population than Quebec. You are overestimating the importance of the Quebec market to a national carrier, which actually is a unique market.

To be a national carrier you need a strong eastern hub and a strong western hub, with focus cities or reliever hubs. Right now, the WS western hub is YYC with YVR as reliever/secondary and YEG as a focus city. In the east, it's YYZ as eastern hub with YHZ as a focus city.

Despite Montreal's much larger population, YYC has been very closer to YUL's overall passenger count, and exceeded it in both 2020 and 2021. This is largely because YYC is 70% domestic and 30% international, and YUL is 70% international and 30% domestic and domestic traffic recovered faster. But even in 2019, YYC was close to 18M and YUL was about 20M, and YVR was over 24M.

Montreal's market is also unique. Quebec travelers value leisure/sun destinations (dominated by Air Transat) and international travel, especially trans-Atlantic (low cost is also dominated by Air Transat). In this market, that's Air Canada for full-service carriers, but also many international carriers service YUL. Trying to start a hub in Air Canada's backyard, with zero brand recognition and Air Transat taking all leisure traffic is just stupid. Quebecers are loyal to Quebec companies. It has never made sense to try to break into this market for WestJet.

Toronto is a different story. Giving up market share here seems like a mistake to me and there seems like there's much higher revenue potential here.

Originally Posted by arf04
Or maybe you think a strategy built on funnelling passengers from YYZ to YYC to connect them to Europe is viable for any airline?
That makes no sense. WestJet's strategy was always to increase TATL options in the west. I still think there's a bigger market in YYZ, but definitely not YUL. But YYZ is saturated and has heavy competition. Western Canada has little connectivity to Europe comparatively. So no, they aren't targeting YYZ travelers to connect via YYC. It's Western Canada and Western US passengers - SEA/PDX/LAX/DEN/SAN/SFO.
tianzhao likes this.

Last edited by YXUFlyboy; Jun 16, 2022 at 10:16 pm
Old Jun 16, 2022, 10:57 pm

it is interesting this summer that WestJet is flying more transatlantic flights on 737s from the east than 787s. There is a performance enhancement for the MAX-8 that has just become available that increases the range to 6,690km, so the current YYZ-LGW route becomes viable on a MAX-8. The wording of the announcement from WS implies international flying on wide bodies predominantly from the West, but it doesn’t say anything about stopping European flying from YYZ. The only route that WS currently flies to Europe from YYZ that the new performance enhanced MAX-8 can’t reach is BCN.

The economics of a transatlantic MAX-8 are far better than a widebody, if it can comfortably make the distance without wind related tech stops. I believe the new strategy is more about using the widebodies where they are most efficient and not just on routes to match AC. this may also mean Asian leisure flying from the West. If WS takes the MAX-7 when deliveries start this year, besides LGW being reached comfortably, CDG and AMS are also in range from YYZ
Old Jun 17, 2022, 2:15 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by deskcaptain
Alexis says they’ve been losing money on the Eastern triangle and with Porter coming in there’s even less chance to make money. Obviously the Q isn’t the right airplane to compete, but I don’t think a new type is in the plans for now.

Gotta go where the money is.
The Q is definitely not the right aircraft. Unless it's at a significant price discount, who would ever want to fly a DH4 on YYZ-YUL/YOW rather than a real plane on AC? An absolute joke.

Today's big strategy announcement?

Some of it is interesting, some is just plain confusing. Most of all I find it shocking ... a mainstream carrier who makes zero mention of business travel in their long-term strategy, but countless mentions of leisure travel. This is more than a retraction from eastern Canada to the west. It seems to be a retraction from wanting to be major player to just being a niche carrier.

[…]

All of these are pretty glaring in their absence. They're a business, and they gotta do what they gotta do in order to survive and thrive. But, as a customer, I'm concerned.
The old, public WestJet seemed to have very long-term plans of becoming a truly national competitor and international, full-service airline. They took a long time to make decisions like rolling out a loyalty program and credit card, and ordering widebody aircraft for long-haul routes, and tried to take risk in fairly small amounts. Getting to 51 consecutive quarters of profits isn’t easy in a lot of sectors, and in the airline business is almost unheard of.

But Onex doesn’t care what WS looks like in 20 years or even 10 years. They will likely be trying to monetize it in the 2025-2028 timeframe. Continuing to invest in a slow, cautious build-out of international routes, adding incremental widebodies, etc, probably doesn’t maximize profits in the timeframe that Onex will want to put WS back in the public markets, even if it might generate more value over a decade or more.

Originally Posted by Upside Down Pyramid

Some of the things they’re cutting may not be unprofitable, but may be less profitable (and therefore worse to Onex’s exit valuation) than deploying the resources elsewhere.

But there’s no question that the announcement indicated a major shift to being a leisure carrier focused on leisure customers. That’s not what they are today, and such a shift has to have consequences on non-leisure parts of the business.

Sure, he said they’ll still keep their premium on-board product. But there was nothing mentioned about trying to gain or grow business fliers or premium customers. Nothing about the importance of that segment. Just essentially saying “we’re not getting rid of it”. Not expanding on it, not making it better or more appealing, not using it as a competitive advantage. Just “we’ll keep it”.
No, they’ve always been a leisure carrier focused on leisure customers. They were starting to target business traffic in the years before Onex and COVID. There was finally a premium product, but connectivity with partners was terrible, the hokey attitude still showed up plenty of times, priority boarding was a joke (I regularly watched over half the plane get on during the pre-boarding for families with small children and elderly passengers, when anyone with a kid under 18 or a speck of grey hair felt entitled to get on before those with “Zone 1” boarding passes, and were allowed to do so by WS staff), and the self-serve options on the app and website made it easy to see why AC felt its mediocre efforts in those areas – as compared to the US3 – were sufficient.

Unless WS offered me a non-stop vs a connection on another carrier, I never chose them for business travel. YYC-LAX or YYC-NYC, sure, sometimes the WS flights worked better than AC. But YYC-BOS? Nope, AC had much better frequency, better potential IRROPS handling, etc. YYC-LatAm? Yeah, I actually wanted to try YYC-ATL-BOG/etc on WS/DL, but for a very long time after WS launched that flight, I couldn’t buy it all in the front cabin – buy from WS, sit in the back on the DL legs. Buy from DL, sit in the back on WS. They finally figured it out, but it took maybe two years for that? Meantime, I kept flying AC/UA via IAH, AA via DFW, etc.

Flying on business, I often valued same-day changes and standby to cut down my travel time. WS touted offering SDC up to 24 hours from the flight. But only at the airport. Only online if you were less than 5 hours out from your original flight. But also more than 2 hours out from the flight you wanted to change. So, the number of routes that had flights within that window was very small. And multiple WS stations told me there was no such thing as standby (not outstations in foreign countries, domestic Canadian airports with a fair amount of service). US airlines, do that kind of stuff in the app. AC for a long time only allowed you to do it at the airport unless you had concierge access, but eventually added a lot of that to the app.

They were making some progress, but doing it very slowly.

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
WestJet's strategy was always to increase TATL options in the west. I still think there's a bigger market in YYZ, but definitely not YUL. But YYZ is saturated and has heavy competition. Western Canada has little connectivity to Europe comparatively. So no, they aren't targeting YYZ travelers to connect via YYC. It's Western Canada and Western US passengers - SEA/PDX/LAX/DEN/SAN/SFO.
There’s probably still plenty of TATL traffic they can take from AC at YYC. AC connects lots of people from YYC and elsewhere in the west to various places in Europe via YYZ/YUL or the YYC-FRA flight that would definitely be inferior to a non-stop from YYC.

But how is AC going to get any US connecting traffic for TATL routes? SEA/LAX/SFO have plenty of their own TATL service, and DEN isn’t horrible on that front. But even if you’re in PDX or SAN without a lot of TATL options, why on Earth would you fly through YYC? The morons who run the airport permanently nuked sterile ITI transit during COVID. And as far as I’ve been able to tell from my few international trips over the last year or so, even INTL-US connections require clearing CBSA before heading to US security and CBP.

AC made a big business of 6th freedom traffic to/from the US during the years before COVID, but key drivers of that were:
  • Sterile ITI transit in YYZ, YUL, and YVR
  • Decent service to secondary US cities that would usually require a connection somewhere to get most places in Europe/Asia, e.g. IND, BNA, etc
  • Dense route network to Europe, meaning competitive routes (e.g. AC was the only North American carrier flying to some places like ZAG, so if you were in, say, NYC, NYC-YYZ-ZAG could be competitive with NYC-European hub-ZAG)
  • Good geographic positioning of hubs, e.g. PIT-YYZ-Europe, NYC-YVR-Australia not much different, distance/time-wise, than connecting at a US hub

What does WS offer at YYC? YYC is in a decent geographic location from some western US cities, but there’s no sterile transit, a tiny European network to which to connect, and a lot of WS’s big US destinations from YYC probably don’t have a lot of market for European connections. LAX? Has the world’s largest airport by O/D traffic right there. LAS? Bunch of European airlines fly there. PHX? Big airport, not a lot of TATL service, maybe some value there for those who want to do PHX-YYC-FCO, CDG-YYC-PHX, etc? And so on. But definitely nothing that jumps out.

Originally Posted by tracon
If business travel is no longer the focus, the LHR slots may leave too?
With WS's lack of international partnerships, the value of LHR over LGW was always suspect. Seems an easy way to cut costs.
newfbc likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jun 17, 2022 at 7:11 am
Old Jun 17, 2022, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by angetenar
This probably violates cabotage if I am understanding your idea correctly.
Not cabotage if Delta flies to YYC from their hubs. Then Westjet to a bunch west coast US cities. Maybe I just annoyed with Delta's unwillingness to fly to SBA, SBP, etc.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 4:40 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by pfreet
Maybe I just annoyed with Delta's unwillingness to fly to SBA, SBP, etc.
No airline can be everything for everyone
Old Jun 17, 2022, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by angetenar
No airline can be everything for everyone
That is why airlines establish partnerships. Such as Delta's partnership with Westjet.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 7:41 am

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Unless WS offered me a non-stop vs a connection on another carrier, I never chose them for business travel.
Or even leisure travel. And I'm YYC-based too.

The morons who run the airport permanently nuked sterile ITI transit during COVID.
See, I thought that too. But apparently it's functionally sterile - when international flights are using the concourse you can enter from the domestic concourses but to exit, you need to clear customs.

What does WS offer at YYC?
Connections to a few European airports with decent one-way pricing, and a cheap business cabin relative to at least the pre-COVID service. There's a pretty big price discount connecting via YYC vs. originating in YYC.

But it doesn't matter - the only way WS was going to grow to fill 20 789s was to attract a portion of the US market and copy the AC strategy. With only 7 frames, it is easier to copy the Air Transat strategy - fly leisure TATL in summer and fly to Hawaii, Mexico and potentially Caribbean in winter. Throw in some domestic service and basic TATL winter service, and your frames are used.

With WS's lack of international partnerships, the value of LHR over LGW was always suspect. Seems an easy way to cut costs.
If the intent on grabbing LHR was to attract business travelers, I can't imagine any of those pax now would take this seriously. I'm betting LHR does not return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.