Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Am I in 2x2 Premium? Or 3x3 Premium Economy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2022, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold

I just booked a “Premium” seat on a 737-700. The picture on the booking page showed 2x2 layout, and so did the seat map when I selected a seat.

However, my e-mail confirmation says “Premium economy,” so that made me look at WestJet’s website for the seat map of a 737-700, and it shows 3x3 with middle seat blocked.

So what should I expect? I thought I read that all -700s are 2x2. Note I’ve never flown WestJet before.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 9:52 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, WestJet Plat
All of WestJet's currently-operating fleet have 2x2 Premium Economy.
Unfortunately, the seat maps on the website are out of date and misleading.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 10:10 am

Programs: skyteam
Originally Posted by simmang
I just booked a “Premium” seat on a 737-700. The picture on the booking page showed 2x2 layout, and so did the seat map when I selected a seat.

However, my e-mail confirmation says “Premium economy,” so that made me look at WestJet’s website for the seat map of a 737-700, and it shows 3x3 with middle seat blocked.

So what should I expect? I thought I read that all -700s are 2x2. Note I’ve never flown WestJet before.
On their whole 737 fleet it is all standard 2x2 seating in Premium

-700/800NG

-700/800 NG aircraft

-8 Max

-8 Max

Depending on flight time, I believe over 1:30 there is a meal service, but correct me if I am wrong anyone , it has been quite some time since I travelled within North America ,

aerobod and V1213 like this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 10:23 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, WestJet Plat
Originally Posted by cirrusdragoon
Depending on flight time, I believe over 1:30 there is a meal service, but correct me if I am wrong anyone , it has been quite some time since I travelled within North America
Since meal service has returned in the COVID era the meal service threshold has been reduced to most flights over 2:30. The most up to date information about onboard meals on this forum can be found in the meals thread.
aerobod likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I have the same question especially as my ticket is booked in "R" class - am I understanding correctly that without question, every 737 in the Westjet fleet now has the updated 2x2 first class style seat and there is zero chance of a substitution to an aircraft that has 3x3 seats with the blocked middle seat? I am bringing my mother to California and we must fly in a first class 2x2 product so if there is any risk of ending up in 3xBx3 premium economy, I would rather know it now and rebook on United.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
every 737 in the Westjet fleet now has the updated 2x2 first class style seat
Correct.
bocastephen and cirrusdragoon like this.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 5:52 pm

I have the same question especially as my ticket is booked in "R" class - am I understanding correctly that without question, every 737 in the Westjet fleet now has the updated 2x2 first class style seat and there is zero chance of a substitution to an aircraft that has 3x3 seats with the blocked middle seat? I am bringing my mother to California and we must fly in a first class 2x2 product so if there is any risk of ending up in 3xBx3 premium economy, I would rather know it now and rebook on United.
Westjet doesn’t have a first class product. Even the Dreamliners only have a business class, at best. Westjet’s 737 PE product may be below the standard you are seeking, if you must travel in a first class cabin.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 6:15 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by YYCguy
Westjet doesn’t have a first class product. Even the Dreamliners only have a business class, at best. Westjet’s 737 PE product may be below the standard you are seeking, if you must travel in a first class cabin.
That is why this thread is confusing - 2x2 is what we consider a USA domestic first class product on the 737, and from what I can see, includes a hot meal on WS - so that is for practical purposes, first class. 3x3 with a blocked middle seat is not a business/first product, so that is what I want to clarify to make sure that every 737 has 2x2 seating up front and there is no risk of ending up on a flight with a narrow coach seat but with extra legroom and blocked middle.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 6:24 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
That is why this thread is confusing - 2x2 is what we consider a USA domestic first class product on the 737, and from what I can see, includes a hot meal on WS - so that is for practical purposes, first class. 3x3 with a blocked middle seat is not a business/first product, so that is what I want to clarify to make sure that every 737 has 2x2 seating up front and there is no risk of ending up on a flight with a narrow coach seat but with extra legroom and blocked middle.
Try telling most European carriers that a 3-3 configuration with blocked middle seats isn't (Euro)business class. Unless one needs a wider seat or lots of legroom, I don't see much difference. In fact, often it's nice to be able to place items in the middle seat (or on the table over the middle seat if applicable).

It's hard to advise OP without knowing what aspects of business/first class he/she is seeking.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 6:29 pm

Without a doubt, rest assured dear.

bocastephen likes this.

Last edited by cirrusdragoon; Jan 22, 2022 at 6:34 pm
Old Jan 22, 2022, 9:51 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Interesting that on some of these promotional (?) MAX photos there is a curtain between PE and Coach and on some there is not.

Pure curiosity - do they have curtain or not? Premium is not very premium without it
Old Jan 22, 2022, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by TPJ
Interesting that on some of these promotional (?) MAX photos there is a curtain between PE and Coach and on some there is not.

Pure curiosity - do they have curtain or not? Premium is not very premium without it

-8 Max

-700/800 NG aircraft

-700/800 NG

behind curtain in economy cabin

Last edited by cirrusdragoon; Jan 22, 2022 at 11:37 pm
Old Feb 4, 2022, 5:43 am

I am looking at the photos and it looks like the last row of Premium economy is different from the other seats or is that the first row of economy? Are all of the premium economy seats the one's with the white headrests - because it looks like there's a row of 2x2 - without the white headrests.

Thanks
Old Feb 4, 2022, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Smitty1
I am looking at the photos and it looks like the last row of Premium economy is different from the other seats or is that the first row of economy? Are all of the premium economy seats the one's with the white headrests - because it looks like there's a row of 2x2 - without the white headrests.

Thanks
That’s the first row of economy. All PE seats are the same.

Last edited by arf04; Feb 5, 2022 at 12:59 pm
Old Feb 4, 2022, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by Smitty1

Thanks
What you are looking at is behind the curtain and sky dividers. All the premium cabin is 2 by 2 seating , white headrests yes, 3 rows of premium .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.