Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Clarification on what dollars counts toward tier upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clarification on what dollars counts toward tier upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2022, 9:26 am

Programs: Marriott, Hilton, DL, AC Gate Lice, WS, UA
Companion vouchers do not earn, they have no monetary value.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by YYCfasha
Companion vouchers do not earn, they have no monetary value.
thanks for the response! I understand that they have no monetary value - but I have to pay $119 + tax technically still when using up a voucher for my ticket will that 119 go toward my eligible spend if the voucher was used on me?
Old Nov 25, 2022, 2:55 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by russkiflyer97
thanks for the response! I understand that they have no monetary value - but I have to pay $119 + tax technically still when using up a voucher for my “ticket” will that 119 go toward my eligible spend if the voucher was used on me?
You should receive qualifying spend for the "fare" of the companion voucher. Perhaps @YYCfasha was thinking of the milestone companion vouchers, which I believe have no fare/co-pay other than 3rd party fees/taxes. But if you have one of the credit card vouchers, you should receive qualifying spend for the fare portion ($119 in your case). My wife got it as recently as June. Because they rounded up the $59.50 to $60 on each leg, she actually ended up with $120 of spend.
YYCfasha and V1213 like this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Nov 27, 2022 at 3:12 pm Reason: Fixed formatting
Old Nov 26, 2022, 4:37 pm

Programs: Bonvoy-lifeime Titanium,Amex Plat
I am $128.00 away from being Gold and have an upcoming trip Yow-Yyc-Las in PE (fare for the total trip is $1,434.00 before taxes and fees) on December 22nd and the return is in March 2023. I have used a companion voucher for my wife. I also wanted to confirm that the upcoming outbound trip in December will get me at least the needed $128.00!!
Do the Dollars spent on the outbound flights get posted when the outbound flight is completed OR only when the entire return journey is completed?
Old Nov 26, 2022, 6:35 pm

Programs: AC 50K, WS Gold, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by Retired FF
I am $128.00 away from being Gold and have an upcoming trip Yow-Yyc-Las in PE (fare for the total trip is $1,434.00 before taxes and fees) on December 22nd and the return is in March 2023. I have used a companion voucher for my wife. I also wanted to confirm that the upcoming outbound trip in December will get me at least the needed $128.00!!
Do the Dollars spent on the outbound flights get posted when the outbound flight is completed OR only when the entire return journey is completed?
Usually the eligible spend posts a few days after you've taken the outbound flights. That's been my experience.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 4:33 am

Programs: Bonvoy-lifeime Titanium,Amex Plat
Originally Posted by beastmaster
Usually the eligible spend posts a few days after you've taken the outbound flights. That's been my experience.
Thanks, that is reassuring.....
Old Nov 30, 2022, 9:17 am

Silver to Gold spend shortcoming

Anything I can do to up my spend besides taking flights? After two round trip flights in December Ill be at about 300 left in spend to get gold. If I ask westjet via email to bump me up will they do that? Im afraid as the holidays are just around the corner I wont be able to get out in the sky until January at the earliest - any tips and tricks would be appreciated!
Old Nov 30, 2022, 9:44 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Anything I can do to up my spend besides taking flights? After two round trip flights in December Ill be at about 300 left in spend to get gold.
You can spend $15K your WS World Elite Mastercard.

If I ask westjet via email to bump me up will they do that?
Why would they?

Im afraid as the holidays are just around the corner I wont be able to get out in the sky until January at the earliest - any tips and tricks would be appreciated!
You could upfare an existing trip - call in and just change to a higher fare class that will get you your $300 in spend. Some airlines, including Another Canadian one, will let you do that without a change fee, not sure about WS. But that might be cheaper than the CC spend or taking a trip you don't have time for.

Otherwise just find the cheapest same-day round trip that will get you >$300 in qualifying spend.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 12:25 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Anything I can do to up my spend besides taking flights? After two round trip flights in December Ill be at about 300 left in spend to get gold. If I ask westjet via email to bump me up will they do that? Im afraid as the holidays are just around the corner I wont be able to get out in the sky until January at the earliest - any tips and tricks would be appreciated!
I would repeat what the other poster said.

The only thing besides taking flights is to just spend $15,000 on your RBC Westjet card. As others have mentioned you could up fare one of your roundtrip flights at least $300 (I would encourage caution here as it is not $300, but $300 BASE FARE spend which is confusing and hard to calculate)

BUT the big question is if your not spending on Westjet, why do you want to have Gold anyhow. The benefits are not significantly better than silver and personally I think the Westjet loyalty program is pretty weak. So think twice before spending the $300, will you get more than that $300 of benefits if you are Gold next year???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.