Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Meals on Westjet flights in J, W, and Y cabins

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Meals on Westjet flights in J, W, and Y cabins

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2021, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by cirrusdragoon
Well Premium is not J cabin . One cannot truly compare the two equally.
Agree, but with the new 2x2 seating and WS working to become a full service carrier to compete with AC, I would imagine they should be trying to compete with AC on domestic/USA routes as they clearly are on overseas routes with their 787s.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 11:02 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, WestJet Plat
Well Premium is not J cabin . One cannot truly compare the two equally.
Originally Posted by jashah
Agree, but with the new 2x2 seating and WS working to become a full service carrier to compete with AC, I would imagine they should be trying to compete with AC on domestic/USA routes as they clearly are on overseas routes with their 787s.
Especially when the fares are often identical for AC Business and WS Premium on domestic and North American routes, they are clearly intended to be equivalent products.

There are only 2 domestic routes with WS Business (YYC-YYZ & YVR-YYZ), and not too many extra routes where AC offers Premium Economy. These routes sometimes see some variation in the pricing, but narrow-body-only routes are priced as though AC Business and WS Premium are interchangeable.
gcashin likes this.

Last edited by V1213; Sep 13, 2021 at 11:17 am
Old Sep 13, 2021, 11:14 am

In case people are interested in WestJet's current "light snack" in Premium is, a relative recently flew YYZ-YYC-YXE (YYZ-YXE was cancelled due to crew shortages), and this was their snack offering.

Premium snack box and contents

This was offered prior to arrival into YYC (after the hot meal departing YYZ), and was offered again on the short YYC-YXE leg.
It seems fine in these contexts (snack at the end of a longer flight, and snack on a short flight), but I hope it isn't also the "light snack" on flights just under the current 2.5 hour hot meal cut-off.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 11:24 am

From what I saw on a similar 737 galley for economy , you most certainly can accommodate enough meals.

The crew would place the hot casserole meals on top of the cart and with a napkin hand the hot meal with the box offering. It was quite efficient use of space.

Westjet can most certainly rearrange their galleys , airlines do them all the time .
This sounds similar to Qantas, who serve hot meals in Economy on their 737s on domestic and international legs. I note that QF have the same seat map as the reconfigured WS 737s, so it shouldn't be a matter of there being insufficient space to make hot meals in Economy work.
cirrusdragoon likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 11:54 am

That is the snack box I got on my recent flight that was just under 2.5 hours. That was the only food service provided.
Carfield and V1213 like this.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 1:46 pm

I recently flew YQR-YYC-YLW and return in Premium on a mix of Dash 8s and 737s and was offered a snack box on each flight.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that there was a little variety across the 4 snack boxes. Some were identical the one pictured above, while others swapped the Biscoff and chocolate truffle for Leclerc Célébrations, and the MadeGood bar for Brookside dark chocolate covered fruit (the flavours varied). All boxes contained the alcohol wipe, nuts (although some were almonds), and Mentos.

Despite all legs being of similar length, the drink selection varied between aircraft type:
  • The Dash 8s served the single-serve bottles of wine (and plastic cups) that are for sale in Economy
    • No menu was offered, but there is only one white wine, one red wine, and 2 beers
  • The 737s served drinks (in real glasses) that are listed with the Premium meal menu, although the flights were too short for meal service
    • No menu was offered, so it was up to the staff to explain the choices available, including multiple varieties of red and white wine
Old Oct 10, 2021, 8:22 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by V1213
In case people are interested in WestJet's current "light snack" in Premium is, a relative recently flew YYZ-YYC-YXE (YYZ-YXE was cancelled due to crew shortages), and this was their snack offering.

Premium snack box and contents
On a recent trip on WS 787 in business class from YYZ to YVR, I was handed this snack box after the main meal (dinner) being served in about 1 hour.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 4:23 am

WS 3526 YYZ-YUL Premium

October 2021
WS 3526 Toronto to Montreal
1:15pm flight

Premium cabin was not full at all and I was offered a choice of beverage and a premium snack box for the hour long flight.
Bottled water was offered prior to departure too.

Sealink and V1213 like this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 8:22 am

Flew YYZ-YQR recently, and was surprised and disappointed to be served a glorified snack box instead of a meal on the 3 hour flight.
Especially after getting a full meal on a recent YQR-YYZ flight with AC, this snack box really didn't cut the mustard for a flight of this length.

Carfield, Sealink and Da_Master like this.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 4:23 pm

WestJet have upgraded their Economy meal service so that it is once again possible to purchase something resembling a "meal", rather than just snacks.
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/inflig...onomy-inflight has all the details, but it's basically All Day Breakfast or Marinara Penne.

Interestingly, a relative recently flew YYZ-YQR in Premium and was served this new Economy menu for free, rather than the published Premium menu. I don't know if the Economy menu in Premium is due to the late hour of the current YYZ-YQR flights (22:25 from YYZ), or if it's a YQR thing, but at least the new offering is better than the glorified snack boxes served in Premium before.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

WestJet have upgraded their Economy meal service so that it is once again possible to purchase something resembling a "meal", rather than just snacks.
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/inflig...onomy-inflight has all the details, but it's basically All Day Breakfast or Marinara Penne.

Interestingly, a relative recently flew YYZ-YQR in Premium and was served this new Economy menu for free, rather than the published Premium menu. I don't know if the Economy menu in Premium is due to the late hour of the current YYZ-YQR flights (22:25 from YYZ), or if it's a YQR thing, but at least the new offering is better than the glorified snack boxes served in Premium before.
As a cabin crew member who hasn’t done that route in years, I’m not sure what the Premium service is supposed to look like now for YYZ-YQR, but I think that the pasta or all day breakfast choices for you may have been the executive decision of the lead cabin crew member of the day. In economy those meals sell for $8.99. Do you think they are good value for that price or good value for a complimentary Premium meal?
V1213 likes this.

Last edited by YYCguy; Dec 25, 2021 at 3:53 am
Old Dec 25, 2021, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by YYCguy
As a cabin crew member who hasn’t done that route in years, I’m not sure what the Premium service is supposed to look like now for YYZ-YQR, but I think that the pasta or all day breakfast choices for you may have been the executive decision of the lead cabin crew member of the day. In economy those meals sell for $8.99. Do you think they are good value for that price or good value for a complimentary Premium meal?
I was wondering if the lead cabin crew member was behind the upgrade in service - if that was the case, I applaud their initiative!

As I wasn't on the flight (it was a relative), and didn't sample the food, I can't really speak to the value for money. In terms of $8.99 for a hot meal on a plane, I guess that's fine. In terms of as a meal in Premium, it's definitely better than the snack box, but knowing the price of the meal, it does seem cheap compared to the multi-dish meals that would otherwise be served in Premium on a >2.5 hour flight.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 8:34 pm

Programs: skyteam
I was wondering if the lead cabin crew member was behind the upgrade in service - if that was the case, I applaud their initiative!

As I wasn't on the flight (it was a relative), and didn't sample the food, I can't really speak to the value for money. In terms of $8.99 for a hot meal on a plane, I guess that's fine. In terms of as a meal in Premium, it's definitely better than the snack box, but knowing the price of the meal, it does seem cheap compared to the multi-dish meals that would otherwise be served in Premium on a >2.5 hour flight.
I have been told that this new Economy meal product they will be selling on the narrow body fleet, are sterilized UHT shelf stable meals good for up to 12-24 months no refrigeration. Astronaut rations comes to mind.

The food is ultra high temperature sterilized. Ultra low cost “Scoot” in Singapore was the first airline in the world to begin using this product.

See this for more information of these meals. https://viewfromthewing.com/how-old-...n-an-airplane/

https://www.pax-intl.com/passenger-s.../#.YcfmzRZE2Ec
V1213 likes this.

Last edited by cirrusdragoon; Dec 25, 2021 at 9:00 pm
Old Dec 26, 2021, 12:22 am

I noticed there haven't been any photos of hot meals in a while, here's from Premium YYC LAX last week.

Old Jan 8, 2022, 11:08 am

I flew WS651 in Business recently and enjoyed the service:
  • Welcome drink upon boarding (Lanson Champagne, orange juice, or mimosa were proactively offered)
  • After takeoff drink and snack (coconut covered cashews)
  • Breakfast (no printed menus, but matched the online menu)
  • Triangular snack box about 90 minutes before landing

WS651 Business Class Breakfast (Apple Crepes)
Da_Master and cirrusdragoon like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.