Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Delta joint venture conditional DOT approval

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta joint venture conditional DOT approval

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2020, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerJ
That's great. (Really.) They might have a JV with ATI by, maybe, 2024 then?

None of the things that benefit business travellers actually require a JV, though. A joint venture gives them the ability to coordinate on pricing, route planning and capacities. It is 100% not required to improve the customer experience for WS pax on DL and vice versa.

Countless airlines around the world give each other's customers reciprocal benefits -- like premium check-in, priority boarding, access to better Y cabin seating, an ability to upgrade. Most do that without any joint venture or anti-trust immunity in place -- because those are in no way required in order to offer reciprocal customer benefits. All that is required is that the two airlines agree on a plan and make the required IT links.
And - a business case that makes such actions desirable from an increased revenue/profit perspective.
aerobod likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 1:06 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by robsaw
And - a business case that makes such actions desirable from an increased revenue/profit perspective.
Assuming that the relationship is truly reciprocal, it should be a pretty low to no cost endeavor.

WestJet’s cost to give a Delta Diamond member access to premium check-in or priority boarding is ... zero. The same for Delta’s costs for giving benefits to WS passengers.

The only significant cost would be come from granting lounge access to each other’s customers — which I doubt would be on the table since Delta’s access rules are so different than WestJet’s, and since WestJet only has a single lounge.

Without a JV in place, keep the code-shares so that WestJet doesn’t forfeit their revenue to Delta.

The revenue upside comes from keeping higher share of wallet from your own customers... like of those (like me) who more-than-occasionally fly on UA or sometimes AA since the Delta experience as a WS Platinum is so poor.

Regardless ... you say they’d still need a business case to proceed? WestJet said they were going to do this in 2017, and have been repeating it ever since. Methinks they’ve made the business case already.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 12:31 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by FlyerJ

Regardless ... you say they’d still need a business case to proceed? WestJet said they were going to do this in 2017, and have been repeating it ever since. Methinks they’ve made the business case already.

Or there never was a business case and it was just marketing..... I mean, it is not unheard of for people in marketing to do or promise things that are ultimately not aligned with the good of the business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.