Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

RBC World Elite card and WestJet wifi?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2020, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver

In the promo email sent out today (Nov 12) that focused on the extended period for the 'status bump' with card spending, this was also in the body:

New feature! Wi-fi in your wallet.

The WestJet RBC® World Elite Mastercard‡ also gives you access to over 1 million hotspots - including flights with WestJet Connect.
Until now, my assumption was that the benefit was for Boingo hotspots ... on the ground.

This seems to indicate that in-flight wifi on WestJet is now free as well? That WestJet wifi is free for RBC World Elite card holders??

Is that correct? (It seems too good to be true!)

When I click through the link, it goes to a very generic Boingo/Mastercard page that doesn't give any clarity -- but certainly doesn't say anything about in-flight wifi being included.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerJ
In the promo email sent out today (Nov 12) that focused on the extended period for the 'status bump' with card spending, this was also in the body:

Until now, my assumption was that the benefit was for Boingo hotspots ... on the ground.

This seems to indicate that in-flight wifi on WestJet is now free as well? That WestJet wifi is free for RBC World Elite card holders??

Is that correct? (It seems too good to be true!)
I remember seeing ads about this when inflight magazines were still a thing... so, yes it has been around for a while. Although, I will agree I haven't seen much advertisement regarding this perk.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Huh. Apparently it’s a real thing!

Here’s an overview from RewardsCanada from back in the early days of Covid (which I guess is why I missed the news then)...

WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard cardholders now get free Wi-FI on WestJet flights and globally on the Boingo network

A benefit that has been on some World Elite Mastercards in Canada but not all has now been extended to all of them. That benefit is free Boingo Wi-Fi at more than 1 million locations worldwide and on select airlines including WestJet. This benefit and several others including credits with Foodora and Ritual launched on April 1st for all Canadian World Elite Mastercards. This is a good move from Mastercard Canada as card issuers continue to need to add benefits to compete with each other outside of the rewards side of things.

Of course out of the additions the free Boingo Wi-Fi is the biggie here and is quite possibly the most exciting for those who have the WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard. It's just one more benefit that makes (or will make in the future) the WestJet flying experience that much better. You have the companion vouchers, the first checked bag for free and now you have your inflight Wi-Fi covered as well.
Here’s the link to the full post:

Rewards Canada: WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard cardholders now get free Wi-FI on WestJet flights and globally on the Boingo network

This is awesome news!!
Old Nov 13, 2020, 7:46 am

I can confirm that the free in-flight Wifi is valid for accounts created using non-RBC Canadian WE mastercards.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 7:42 pm

Programs: Presto
Pre-covid I used it successfully with my Brim Mastercard...that's a while ago though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.