Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Full Refund vs Credit to Travel Bank amid COVID crisis

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Full Refund vs Credit to Travel Bank amid COVID crisis

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2020, 9:24 am

There is no guarantee of a future seat on the same route at more or less the same price as the one that you have bought and cancelled.
I wonder when all settle down, whether there will be a change in the buying habit that people may be more reluctant to buy months in advance and more likely to select a refundable fare if one is available.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 1:41 pm

Am I going crazy, or prior to this COVID-19 madness could Premium and Business fares be cancelled (with fee) and refunded to original form of payment instead of crediting to the Travel Bank?
Old Apr 17, 2020, 2:17 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Bonnie Henry, BC's Provincial Health Officer said today, "B.C. is looking at a year to 18 months before people are travelling again for work or fun."

Wow.

Ron.
cirrusdragoon likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 2:41 pm

Programs: WestJet Gold
Originally Posted by mxqisit
Am I going crazy, or prior to this COVID-19 madness could Premium and Business fares be cancelled (with fee) and refunded to original form of payment instead of crediting to the Travel Bank?
Only Premium Flex or Business Flex could be cancelled to original form of payment, without any fees. Premium and Business could be cancelled with a fee to travel bank.
Brendan and mxqisit like this.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 8:02 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
But is the extra credit really usable? The LH group one is only applicable to difference in base fare, not YQ or taxes, and only applicable if the fare difference is >€50, or something like that. So if you try to re-book a ticket with the same base fare, even if YQ and taxes are higher, you don't get the credit. Even if your ticket has €49 higher base fare, you get nothing. Something along those lines, anyway. I got a full refund via chargeback on my cancelled LX ticket, so I didn't pay too much attention.

I really don't like the fixed concept though. I book almost exclusively in the front cabin, so even if WS went with $15/$60 (if we just change the currency symbol), or $25/$100 (similar dollar amount) as what you're describing from AZ, it would often be pretty small relative to the ticket, and not enough to make it worth my while.
I agree with Adam that the Alitalia bonus is trivial. I was just reporting that it also existed along with the LH one.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 12:57 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by Clipper801
There is no guarantee of a future seat on the same route at more or less the same price as the one that you have bought and cancelled.
This is the argument I have had with a lot of people in real life who were trying to cancel all future travel in a panic.

If we're flying to Europe in half-filled 737s via Gander in six months time you're going to wish you kept that $299 fare to Gatwick.

What I argued with my parents a couple weeks ago is if you can't be made whole for a cancelled flight in six months that is going to be the absolute least of your problems and you will probably have already eaten the dog at that point.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 7:14 am

I urge people to write to Blane Workie about the non-compliace of Canadian airlines with the US DOT rules regarding refunds. email address can be easily found on the web and is in the [email protected] format. She handed fines onto Air Canada in the past

Ms. Blane Workie is the Assistant General Counsel for the Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings at the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT). She leads an office of attorneys and transportation industry analysts who investigate and enforce DOT's aviation economic, consumer protection, and civil rights requirements primarily through negotiation and issuing cease and desist orders assessing civil penalties. In addition, Ms. Workie has played a critical role in DOT's efforts to enhance aviation civil rights and consumer protection through public outreach activities and issuance of rulemakings.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:46 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Often1
Not quite. WS is also foregoing cash revenue by doling out extra miles. But, that is all in the future when it needs cash now.

Credits/miles also have the advantage of "breakage." Industry-wide, somewhere around 35% of credits and miles are never used. They are forgotten, people die, move along and so on. From the WS perspective, a $1 refund costs $1 in precious cash. $1 in miles costs $0.70 in revenue forgone some day in the future.
Not that you're incorrect, but I'm not sure what any of this has to do with my post that you quoted. And WS isn't doling out any extra miles.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 6:41 pm

WestJet is as of today offering penalty free cancellation (for TB credit) for any flights essentially without date limitation.
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 8:48 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
How can I find the expiry date of my TravelBank funds online? I see only the total dollars. It's impossible to reach WS by phone!
Also, has expiry been extended due to COVID-19?
Old Apr 19, 2020, 6:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Brendan
How can I find the expiry date of my TravelBank funds online? I see only the total dollars. It's impossible to reach WS by phone!
Also, has expiry been extended due to COVID-19?
I just checked and on mine I'm able to click on the 'Manage WestJet Dollars' tab and then the option to show expiring dollars so yes, very easy to access TB expiry dates.

For flights booked before 3rd Mar. for travel anytime that were cancelled WestJet's COVID-19 policy is a 24-month TB validity.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
I just checked and on mine I'm able to click on the 'Manage WestJet Dollars' tab and then the option to show expiring dollars so yes, very easy to access TB expiry dates.

For flights booked before 3rd Mar. for travel anytime that were cancelled WestJet's COVID-19 policy is a 24-month TB validity.
Unfortunately that only works for the WJD but not TB credit as far as I can tell. Last time I asked on the phone I was told they could look it up as there was no user facing ability to see TB details.
Brendan likes this.

Last edited by YYCCL3; Apr 19, 2020 at 9:34 am Reason: typo
Old Apr 19, 2020, 9:49 am

XYZ123

Last edited by spidey9999; Sep 3, 2020 at 10:25 am Reason: NLA
Old Apr 19, 2020, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by YYCCL3
Unfortunately that only works for the WJD but not TB credit as far as I can tell. Last time I asked on the phone I was told they could look it up as there was no user facing ability to see TB details.
I believe this is correct. The only additional info I have found is the confirmation email when the TB credit was issued which states "When a booking is cancelled, and the original form of payment for that booking included Travel Bank credits or WestJet dollars, the original expiry date(s) for the credits/dollars will remain. Any additional credits will be given an expiry date of two years from the date issued." I interpret that as being two years from the date of the email for any new credits that have been issued in that transaction.

Hopefully we'll all be booking our next flights long before these credits expire.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 12:10 pm

Yeah this would be nice to know to. I had a cancelled trip in mid-Feb (un-related to COVID) - now it's tough to plan anything. Don't need a year, but 6 months extension on the TB credit would be nice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.