Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Westjet fares: a lot more expensive this season?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Shebamiles, WorldPerks

Is it just me or are you all also noticing higher than usual fares on Westjet flights this year? Specifically destinations like Puerto Vallarta and Palm Springs from the West which can be at a discount this time of year are much higher priced, beyond AC and TS fares in many cases.

Also notice how there has not been a solid sale this fall?
Old Oct 1, 2019, 3:41 am

Perhaps the grounding of the Maxes is keeping the existing fleet full and therefore the old supply and demand effect on pricing wherein there are so few seats available that there is no need to have a sale.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 11:58 pm

Because of the grounding of the Max fleet, airlines in Canada are learning what US carriers figured out a decade ago.

Constrained supply results in full airplanes, pricing power and much higher margins.

Add a cool second half of Sept in much of the west and lo and behold, every flight south is full with minimal discounting required.

I doubt it’ll change much until at least winter sched change at the end of October, and perhaps not even then..

I wouldn’t be counting on cheap flights south anytime soon.
WR Cage and tcook052 like this.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Before my 15% base discount and WS dollars YYZ SJO for departure in a few weeks was only $1,200 in non-flex Premium which is a pretty good deal. From memory, economy was under $600 (possibly Basic fare) . For 11 hours round trip non stop those are pretty good prices.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 3:57 pm

And it's not just Westjet: Air Canada also made a heavy bet on the 737MAX, so AC wasn't able to take full advantage of the other's misfortune for a lot of medium-distance destinations.

I was surprised what I paid for flights YYZ-CDG next month. I'm paying more for flights in November (dead-time) than I did for the peak of summer, but that's because I booked the latter pre-grounding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.