Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet denies Ont. man refund after cancer diagnosis

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet denies Ont. man refund after cancer diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by cirrusdragoon
no we are not discussing what warrants a passenger fit to fly.

we are discussing what warrants insurability or under what grounds would a passenger receive a refund . Even travel insurance won’t cover a pre-existing condition such as a cancer diagnosis in order to receive a refund for trip cancellation . therefore what make a person think an airline ought to? Because of human compassion ? hog wash. Then that same argument could be applied to every single medical life event such as HIV diagnosis or Ms diagnosis. Or i had a mental day and i dont or cannot travel because im stressed because i broke up with my girlfriend , at what point does this end? There is no such thing as compensation for everything. This guy has cancer and it is going to involve several treatments over the course of years possibly, not just that day he cannot travel. So should he now also go to the bank that has his mortgage or car loan and say i can’t pay because i just got diagnosed with cancer. This is why we take
out disability insurance for these life events .
This is a product (seats on a future flight), that WS is perfectly capable or reselling to someone else if they are made aware ahead of time. The same way as an unsed product returned to a department store.

To recap, in this case you have a passenger that was going to fly. He now had medical advise saying his is not fit to travel and an airline saying he can not rebook into the future or get a refund because of rules.

Lets assume he says, ok, I will use the flight anyway and by the way may need some special assistance at the airport and in flight as my doctor says I should not be flying, but since you will not let me change the date I am going to fly anyway. How will WS respond? Will WS stick to its position that once he purchased that ticket he must fly or will they deny boarding?

If the WS policy is to deny boarding when a passenger is not fit, then there is the path for him getting a refund. He shows up at the airport on the appropriate day with a doctors not in hand. He would be fully compliant with the original terms of the ticket and still get his refund.
james dean likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
While I agree the optics in this case may not be flattering, the basic economy fare T&Cs are crystal clear.
m.y, Fiordland and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Only if you book through the airline website who will try to up-sell you with a big glaring pop-up.

I was skeptical when somebody told me they accidentally booked Air Canada Basic Economy through Expedia till I tried it myself.
Fiordland likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 7:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Many airlines allow full refund or free change in case of death or serious illness of the passenger or immediate family member, regardless of the fare conditions (not sure if this carries through to BE on airlines that have this, however), it seems silly not to permit a full refund if proof is provided. Then again cancer diagnosis in itself has a very broad range of meanings, it could be very early stages/benign and possible that the trip doesn't conflict with treatment or after-effects thereof, so it's tricky to define hard rules on when to allow and when not to allow a refund in these circumstances.
Plus, why should cancer patients get preferential treatment compared to those with kidney failure, etc.? And would people really want to share medical records with airlines?

BTW, many cancer patients are fit to fly.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Aug 25, 2019 at 7:26 pm
Old Aug 25, 2019, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Plus, why should cancer patients get preferential treatment compared to those with kidney failure, etc.? And would people really want to share medical records with airlines?

BTW, many cancer patients are fit to fly.
In the news report it said his doctor said he was not fit to fly. WestJet is basically saying, we don't care if your not fit to fly use it or lose it.

If he decides to take the trip, will WestJet accept a passenger knowing that an MD has said he should not be on an aircraft or will they turn him away? If they turn him away will they refund his ticket?
james dean likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 1:41 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Plus, why should cancer patients get preferential treatment compared to those with kidney failure, etc.?
I'm not saying they should. In fact I wasn't trying to take a position on what the correct handling is, just pointing out that many airlines, in my experience, are more lenient, even if it's somewhat unofficial.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 9:33 am

The argument here is really about neither serious illness or insurability but the industry-wide practice of variable ticket-pricing and refundability.

If consumers will shift their buying habits for a few $ on a flight then that same consumer must also take the responsibility for the contractual terms and conditions of that decision and for the most basic fare consider the $ spent forever when that fare is booked with NO ability for a change on the consumers' part.

Yes, this leads to bad PR, lose-lose, horrible leg-room, bin-space wars, gate-lice, extra-fee+extra-fee, and yes, LOW fares - lower than ever in history when inflation is considered, despite the complaints. More people can afford to travel than ever.

There is no moral high-ground here. Shaming someone to break contractual terms that were well known in advance is no more ethical than failing to take compassion by a corporation.
Sopwith, aerobod and AltaBound like this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by robsaw
Yes, this leads to bad PR, lose-lose, horrible leg-room, bin-space wars, gate-lice, extra-fee+extra-fee, and yes, LOW fares - lower than ever in history when inflation is considered, despite the complaints. More people can afford to travel than ever.

There is no moral high-ground here. Shaming someone to break contractual terms that were well known in advance is no more ethical than failing to take compassion by a corporation.
I would propose this is a case where it is in the interest of both parties to break the contract.

Why would WS want a passenger on its flight that an MD has said is not fit to fly?

Why would this person want to fly against his doctors recommendations?

In business when two parties reach the point where the situation has changed and it is in neither parties interest to continue they renegotiate the contract. WS is refusing to come to the table and sort this out with this passenger. (Sorry, forgot in the case of WS, they are not passengers, there are guests."). Instead WS is waiting this out, hopping the passenger does not try to fly.
james dean likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Error 601
Only if you book through the airline website who will try to up-sell you with a big glaring pop-up.

I was skeptical when somebody told me they accidentally booked Air Canada Basic Economy through Expedia till I tried it myself.
How is selling the crappiest cheapest service an upsell? An upsell would be pushing full fare flex premium or business class. If there is such a thing it's a downsell.

People want these terrible fares because they shop only for price and have to assume all the risks and understand nothing is included for the fare including changes and refunds. But then they want it to be a flex fare when they need it to be a flex fare.

I'd prefer they limited basic to Swoop. Perhaps then people choose halfway decent airline with typical services and inclusions or the sardine can express where you are velcroed to the wings and have to wear all your clothes vs. check a bag.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: QF WP

Upsell on dummy booking
Old Aug 26, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
People want these terrible fares because they shop only for price and have to assume all the risks and understand nothing is included for the fare including changes and refunds. But then they want it to be a flex fare when they need it to be a flex fare.
Absolutely true. But the problem is that the vast majority of people out there (ie people who don’t frequent FlyerTalk) really don’t get that different fares - in the same class - are different products. They’ve been conditioned by years and years of flying to believe that a ticket is a ticket. And, with WestJet, they’ve been conditioned to think that WestJet will happily take care of them if something goes wrong.

That’s not helped by the fact that the difference in the “product” for, say, Basic vs Econo vs Flex are really just artificial constructs. They’re just fare rules typed into a tariff that nobody ever sees — while the flight and the seat and the on-board service are all identical.

Frankly it’s a tough thing for the average consumer to wrap their heads around. It’s the same as if Cineplex were to charge three different prices for the exact same seat for the same theatre at the same time - with the only difference being the rules about how the tickets are used.

I have no problem with WestJet (or any airline) offering a Basic fare. To keep them profitable - and keep them flying - it makes sense. But the whole no change/no cancel rule, in my mind, is just silly. If I buy an Econo fare and get dinged a $200 change fee, I’ve become a wildly profitable customer for WestJet. If I buy a Basic fare and find out I can’t change when I need to, (1) WS makes no additional money in most cases and (2) I’ll become a wildly upset customer and (3) I may well become the “WestJet is Mean” story of the week on CBC or Global News. I don’t get what the upside of “no changes on Basic fares” is to WestJet. It doesn’t make sense.

Keep Basic. Make it less desirable seating, auto assigned seating, last boarding group, no ability to buy an upgrade, and no WS dollar accumulation. Period. If a Basic customer wants to change or cancel - whether due to serious illness or grandpa passed away or whatever - allow changes with the same (stupidly big) change fee that Econo customers are hit with. The result: bad press stories stop appearing, and you make lots more profit from change fees.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by nancypants

Upsell on dummy booking
That is when booking directly with WestJet. What percentage of passengers are doing that vrs the ones going to a travel agent or travel agent website. Depending on the sales channels these different fares can be quite opaque.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland
That is when booking directly with WestJet. What percentage of passengers are doing that vrs the ones going to a travel agent or travel agent website. Depending on the sales channels these different fares can be quite opaque.
yes. I only add it as there was a question about it existing at all
Fiordland likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by nancypants

Upsell on dummy booking
That isn't an "upsell" that is a warning to the bargain-hunting ignorant so they later don't have an excuse (although they'll still complain).
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by robsaw
That isn't an "upsell" that is a warning to the bargain-hunting ignorant so they later don't have an excuse (although they'll still complain).
I suppose it could be viewed as upsell as it’s basically saying “look how much more you get from a non basic fare!”. Of course as with any kind of upsell, only those who haven’t thought about it previously will be vulnerable to it. Everyone else will just buy the fare they want

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.