Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade bidding: Winning bids

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2024, 11:33 am

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
What are the eligibility criteria for upgrade bids? I've been looking to put in a bid for a flight next month but it says I'm not eligible. Am I too early? Premium seats sold out? Or something else?
Old Jan 12, 2024, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Sopwith
What are the eligibility criteria for upgrade bids? I've been looking to put in a bid for a flight next month but it says I'm not eligible. Am I too early? Premium seats sold out? Or something else?
You may get an e-mail to bid ~ 1+ week out. Too early for now.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 9:23 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Any recent experience with upgrade bid from PY to J on the YYC-CDG-YYC sectors?
Old Mar 27, 2024, 2:37 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, WestJet Plat
Looks like there is now an "upgrade now" feature in the upgrade bid system. On an upcoming YYZ-YQR flight the bid range is $85-$200, with a further option to "upgrade now for $120 CAD".

It's amusing that one could choose to bid $200 instead of upgrading instantly for $120...

I'm not sure if this is available on all flights, or just shows up when there's plenty of availability (this particular flight is showing as having 6 Premium seats available with 3.5 days before departure).
Da_Master likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 9:27 am

How do you tell if there are premium seats still available ahead of time? go through the new flight booking and get to seat selection?
Old Apr 15, 2024, 10:04 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by amorak
How do you tell if there are premium seats still available ahead of time? go through the new flight booking and get to seat selection?
Just try a new flight booking for the correct number of seats. The initial availability page will then show Economy and/or Premium and/or Business ... if any of those cabins still have seats available. You don't need to go any further to know if you simply want to know availability.

If you want to know which specific seats are unassigned (i.e. if there are two seats together), you might go as far as the seat selection page -- but, given WestJet's systems, that's a long journey that requires you to enter all reservation info just to see a seat map. An easier way would be to use a third-party tool like ExpertFlyer, if you have access.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 4:33 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
given WestJet's systems, that's a long journey that requires you to enter all reservation info just to see a seat map. An easier way would be to use a third-party tool like ExpertFlyer, if you have access.
I once asked the Gold desk why that was the case - the Gold desk didn't seem to understand why knowing the seat map was important when booking since they showed me the price.

And that is exactly why they are a LCC who don't care about premium traffic. Because it matters to me. I'll switch flights and pay more for different seats.
Old May 22, 2024, 8:14 am

As a data point I'm booked on DUB-YYC-YVR and the TATL has a minimum bid of $1250 (which is probably about double what I'm willing to pay) and the Vancouver flight has a minimum bid of $55.

I'm actually tempted by the Vancouver flight on the theory it would guarantee entre to the lounge and I could have a shower. I have PP but I'm reading about how they often refuse PP entries.

Is there any more economical way to get into J TATL? AFAIK even if I sign up for a credit card or browse other forums here or elsewhere there aren't any instruments that help are there?
Old May 22, 2024, 8:58 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by zkzkz
As a data point I'm booked on DUB-YYC-YVR and the TATL has a minimum bid of $1250 (which is probably about double what I'm willing to pay) and the Vancouver flight has a minimum bid of $55.

I'm actually tempted by the Vancouver flight on the theory it would guarantee entre to the lounge and I could have a shower. I have PP but I'm reading about how they often refuse PP entries.
An upgrade on the YYC-YVR leg won't get you lounge access in Calgary. Seats in Premium (and that's the highest level cabin on a two-class 737) don't give lounge access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.