Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Delta Platinum Medallion Flies Home From Canada on WestJet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL

On my business trip from Edmonton back home to Atlanta I decided to book through Delta on code shared flights operated by WestJet. The two airlines have been moving closer together over the past few years to compete with Star Alliance partners United and Air Canada. WestJet reminds me a lot of AirTran Airways who was later purchased by Southwest Airlines.

I still find it interesting that Southwest leases the 717’s AirTran used to fly to Delta so that it can maintain its 737-only fleet. WestJet has published a blog about the grounded 737 MAX in the news just about daily.

The original ticket was a coach Q class ticket purchased with a 006 Delta ticket number. Check in was done seamlessly with a single sign on experience directly on my iPhone browser into WestJet’s online check in system.

You’ll then see your separate WestJet six character confirmation code.

My itinerary takes me through WestJet’s home/hub of Calgary so two different prices were offered for upgrades: CAD $19 from Edmonton to Calgary and then for the longer leg home CAD $209 so I decided as I had in the past to purchase these. It appeared that I purchased the last upgraded seat from Calgary to Atlanta in WestJet’s. This works out to about USD $180.

This is quite cheaper than the normal fare difference of about CAD $306.

WestJet issued boarding passes were then e-mailed quickly along with my receipt that may document expensable portions of a business trip like a bag fee and included meals in route.

YEG, Edmonton’s airport, is a good 18 miles or so south of town so I opted to stay at the new, modern Renaissance hotel attached to the terminal. I asked if any upgraded rooms were available and received suite #700. The room was huge with two televisions and room for a party in the shower.

The hotel has a very nice pool and whirlpool along with tasty free brisket sandwiches in the lounge. Access was granted due to being a Titanium elite Bonvoy member.

4:30 AM rolled around quick for a shower and short walk to check in. My premium ticket got me served fast yet there was some sort of mix up where I was booked twice on the flight in Q and U class. The nice agents fixed that after a short wait and didn’t ask for a checked bag fee.

The security line was zero wait and then up for a short visit in the shared Plaza lounge next to the Air Canada Maple Leaf lounge for a couple of pancakes and a Diet Pepsi. Oddly I couldn’t find any water though. A quick stop at the washroom and I walked right out to my gate ready to board.

Canadians were in the midst of electing the next Alberta Premier and can actually vote in certain airports.

The lead flight attendant mentioned this is her first time to Atlanta as this is a newer route for WestJet.

WestJet is also struggling with the 737 MAX

The steak sandwich tasted better than it looked, served from the oven in a box. Later snacks and a small chocolate cake dessert were served.

Crown proudly served in Premium class on WestJet
He shall be named Poutine
Red velvet AM cupcake + diet coke at the Calgary Aspire lounge accessible via Priority Pass with my Platinum Amex
Electric carts made this early AM transfer at YYC faster
Yawn…early AM departure from Edmonton
WestJet’s Premium seats block out the middle seat on their older planes and have gobs of legroom

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.