Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

YYZ - LGW 5 hour mechanical delay - compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

On March 13, flight #3 YYZ-LGW was delayed over 5 hours due to mechanical. We were lucky the aircraft was cleared by maintenance and were able to depart just before 3am, as a minute later the crew would have been over their time limit and flight cancelled. I know this flight doesn't qualify for any EU compensation as it was ex-YYZ, but we were told that WJ would be in touch with information about some compensation for the delay. Hadn't heard from them in almost two weeks, so reached out on Twitter and was offered WJ$100. A friend on the same flight hasn't heard anything from WJ yet. Just wondering if anyone has recent experience with delays on this flight and what is the current typical compensation being offered. Anecdotally, a friend who had a similar delay on this flight back in 2017 was given WJ$250 without even asking.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:34 am

Anecdotally I was given $125 WestJet Dollars for a < 2 hour delay going from LGW to YYZ. The reason for the delay was a late inbound aircraft. I'd say $100 is a bit low based on my experience, but it's always variable.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
It's always YMMV. But hey, you could be on AC where four or five hour delays are becoming commonplace - with no comp.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 3:28 pm

Back in August, my flight LGW-YVZ was also delayed for technical issues, as the flight was from the UE, I was entitled for the UE compensation (to the UE is also valid). I did sent the request and received $850. The connecting flight to YUL was also cancelled this one due to crew issue, for this one, I got my hotel night reimboursed ($150) + $30 vouchers + $150 after I’ve complaint on their Messenger! A good deal!!!
Old Apr 21, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
That's the difference between LGW-YYZ ans YYZ-LGW. Coming from London the EU261 rules apply.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 6:05 pm

Indeed my bad, indeed when it is an inbound flight to the UE, the UE rights will apply only on an European airline...
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by FredYUL
Indeed my bad, indeed when it is an inbound flight to the UE, the UE rights will apply only on an European airline...
Technically not even European airlines. There have been numerous reports of LX flights not giving any EU compensation for delayed flights since they're not part of the EU! In a few months (or decades depending on how things go) the UK won't be part of the EU and they'll likely have the same issues as us Canadians in getting compensation.

I will say that as a *Gold I have trouble getting the compensation from AC that I'm entitled to. Last time I was inconvenienced by AC I had to speak to 3 different agents before they finally spat out my hotel and meal vouchers.

-James
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:23 am

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
I was recently on a YYZ-LGW flight that was delayed about 5 hours due to a mechanical issue, and got $100 Westjet dollars credited to my account several days afterward, without my having to initiate anything. Fortunately my flight connection to St. Petersburg had an 8 hour layover (separate ticket/airline).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.