Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Do WestJet Change Aircraft Type Often?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

I'm flying SFO-YVR-YYZ on WestJet in May. Currently I'm booked on a 737-600 from YVR to YYZ. Do they often change their aircraft type closer to departure? I'd really like to fly on the 737-600 since it's the only 737NG I've missed.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by goliathkills
I'm flying SFO-YVR-YYZ on WestJet in May. Currently I'm booked on a 737-600 from YVR to YYZ. Do they often change their aircraft type closer to departure? I'd really like to fly on the 737-600 since it's the only 737NG I've missed.
Unless there is a mechanical problem, with the current tight availability of aircraft it is unlikely a -600 would be upgauged to a -700 or -800.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. Fingers crossed. It's interesting to me that even though the flight is less than 60 days away, only a handful of seats have been selected. I know, the seatmap isn't indicative of the actual load, but I would expect a few more seats to be reserved.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:35 pm

My flight in late May YYZ-YHZ-CDG just got changed from MAX8s to 737-800s. It looks like this applies to all of the May and June flights for this route. Probably others too. In July they're booking the MAX8, for now.

Another (daily?) YYZ-YHZ flight got changed from a MAX8 to a 737-700.

Dunno where they're going to get the -700s and -800s from. But based on that, I'm guessing that the -600s will stay put.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
They generally don't change series that often, at least not in my experience. Obviously the MAX issue changes some things, but OP you're probably pretty safe.

I rather like the 600. Those things climb like they got shot out of a cannon!
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
They use this logic on my flights. Are they really long (5 hours)? If yes, choose the oldest least well equipped Sopwith Camel in the fleet because people flying coast to coast or to Central America could not want in flight entertainment and they prefer tape holding trim parts together. Use the fancy new planes on 90 minute flights instead.
Old May 24, 2019, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

My flights SFO-YVR-YYZ were yesterday and I'm happy to say the 737-600 C-GWSL did indeed serve the YVR-YYZ flight. This was probably to the detriment of my fellow passengers since it isn't as nice as the 737-700 that flew SFO-YVR. At least I enjoyed the ride. The old, postage stamp LCDs were a bit funny in 2019. The service was very Canadian, although minimal, and leg room seemed better than average. No wifi or power outlets and the seat padding is getting a bit hard. Here are a few pictures from the flight:

Last edited by goliathkills; Jun 1, 2019 at 7:07 pm
Old May 24, 2019, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by goliathkills
The old, postage stamp LCDs were a bit funny in 2019. The service was very Canadian, although minimal, and leg room seemed better than average. No wifi or power outlets and the seat padding is getting a bit hard.
The -600 cabin upgrades should have been well underway by now to mimic the rest of the fleet, but has been put on hold until the MAXs are back in service, due to a lack of spare aircraft.
Old May 24, 2019, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aerobod
The -600 cabin upgrades should have been well underway by now to mimic the rest of the fleet, but has been put on hold until the MAXs are back in service, due to a lack of spare aircraft.
​​​​​​I figured as much. Still a nice powerful takeoff and a unique plane to travel on. I'm sure WS is happy to have them at the moment with the 737Max fiasco.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.