Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet unexpected free checked-bag?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2019, 9:12 am
Original Poster

WestJet unexpected free checked-bag?

Flying YYZ-YHZ-CDG in a few days on a basic fare.

so I got the email from Westjet: “Important Information about your flight”.

Normally i ignore these reminder emails, but the subject line suggested that something may have changed, so I read it carefully.

Nothing changed with the schedule, but it does surprisingly say:

”Checked baggage allowance
You have one (1) free checked bag for this trip, and you are allowed three (3) additional bags. “
This was unexpected. We paid for some seat selections, but that’s it. I guess I’ll have some fun at the checkin desk.
Old May 21, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I thought that Westjet had cancelled their YHZ-CDG service because of the MAX mess.
Old May 21, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by tecate55
Flying YYZ-YHZ-CDG in a few days on a basic fare.
We paid for some seat selections, but that’s it.
If you actually booked “Basic”, you wouldn’t have been able to purchase seat selection until check-in at T-24.

Unless something is different for Basic fare rules on TATL routes (but I don’t think that’s the case??) ... there’s a good chance that you’re actually on an Econo or EconoFlex fare.
Old May 21, 2019, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by smallmj
I thought that Westjet had cancelled their YHZ-CDG service because of the MAX mess.
It started operation and seems to be available until 30 May, but after that until 31 July (furthest out MAX rescheduling is currently shown), it is effectively suspended due to the aircraft being needed elsewhere for peak summer flying, until the MAXs are back in service.
Old May 21, 2019, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Indeed, Westjet is running their YHZ-CDG service this week. Dunno why they’re running it for such a short time given that they’ll maroon a lot of people, but alas, we had different plans to get back all along because we’re doing open-jaw.

I can’t conclusively determine whether I’m on Basic or Econo (where does it say after purchase?), but the booking site seems to make it clear that you can pay to preselect a seat for a (slightly) higher fee than a non-basic fare.
Old May 21, 2019, 5:33 pm

If it was a Basic fare, you wouldn’t be able to select a seat (for any amount of money) prior to check-in.

With Basic, the system assigns you a seat (less desirable) at T-24. If you don’t like what you get, you can pay to change to any other seats that are still left.

It it sounds like you’re holding an Econo or EconoFlex ticket.
Old May 21, 2019, 6:17 pm

I’ve had something similar happen, but maybe it was 2 free bags. It was due to an auto-upgrade to Plus - made visible at check in.
Old May 21, 2019, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerJ
If it was a Basic fare, you wouldn’t be able to select a seat (for any amount of money) prior to check-in.

With Basic, the system assigns you a seat (less desirable) at T-24. If you don’t like what you get, you can pay to change to any other seats that are still left.

It it sounds like you’re holding an Econo or EconoFlex ticket.
I dunno why people keep insisting this. I say that I did based on my own experience (I'm a cheap-skate and know I compared the "higher fee" business), then I did a test-booking to verify before posting here, and now I've done another test-booking to confirm that one can book a seat with a Basic fare for some amount of money:

Last edited by tecate55; May 21, 2019 at 7:05 pm
Old May 21, 2019, 7:19 pm

WestJet has recently changed the Basic Economy to allow seat selection for a fee at booking or check-in, which brings it in line with Air Canada for their Basic fare.
Old May 22, 2019, 9:25 am

Interesting! I stand corrected.

I wasn’t aware of the change. Thanks for the info.
Old May 23, 2019, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Anywho, looks like the (unexpectedly) free checked bag in the email was correct.
Old May 24, 2019, 6:09 pm

I'm curious what prompted this to happen since you need to be booked on a Flex ticket or higher to get free baggage (or have status, etc).
Old May 25, 2019, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zappy312
I'm curious what prompted this to happen since you need to be booked on a Flex ticket or higher to get free baggage (or have status, etc).
Dunno, but probably related to originally being booked on a 737MAX flight with for-pay specific seats, but then down-gauged to a -800 and again to a -700 where the existing assignment couldn’t be maintained.

Maybe they figured it was a way to keep us happy while changing our seats around?

Last edited by tecate55; May 25, 2019 at 1:32 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.